Agnostic.com

34 21

11 Fast Facts about Christianity:

1.) The Bible is the world's bestselling book
2.) The Bible is the world's most shoplifted book
3.) Less than 2/3s of the public, 63%, can correctly name Genesis as the first book in the bible.
4.) 100 million copies of the Bible are sold or given away every year.
5.) About 50 Bibles are sold every minute
6.) US Bible sales range between $425- $650 million
7.) 95% of the world is reached through 2,426 languages
8.) Only 55% know that the golden rule, “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you,” is not one of the Ten Commandments.
9.) The Americas have the largest majority of 86% Christians
10.) Worldwide 32% of the population are Christian
11.) Christianity has 2.3 billion adherents

Maybe we need to print more science text books and give them away?

[pewforum.org]
[economist.com]

silvereyes 8 Nov 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

34 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Christianity was an assembly of the Polytheism of Greece and Rome and the Monotheism of Egypt to help the Pagans to convert easily.

Amen, used on the end of prayers does not mean " So be it" as the Christians think or hope but a summoning of the Egyptian Sun God AMEN RA

Mary and Jesus are rebranding of ISIS and HORUS from Egypt. There is Pagan side of Christianity where they worship The Black Madonna. Black because she is Isis from Egypt.

GENESIS means The Genes of ISIS.... which all the nobility comes from this Bloodline

THOTH Level 4 Nov 12, 2017

Wow... didn't know that about "Amen" and Isis in Genesis.

Lovely details. Thanks for sharing..

I wonder if people take into account the number of churches who purchase these 'books' in bulk to have them free to use, while the rest are left on shelves or in the back of pews just gathering dust.
Statistics does not always mean something.

I love the irony in the title. It could read 'Facts about Fiction' - they are all definitely facts, it's just a pity these facts are based on a work of fiction!

😀

I think they give so many Bibles away because ther are so many people who would never buy one.

Interesting that the bible is both the world's best selling book, and the most stolen book.

Got to get their fix...

I was raised to go to church until I was 12 years old. Through that time, I increasingly became very uncomfortable about the whole concept of religion. The end came when my parents (who never attended church) were sent letters by the Baptist church to donate 10% of ther income. I'm not sure if that was per child as that would have totaled 40%. I plainly saw that this was merely a business venture. I asked my parents if they minded me not attending and they told me to do what I felt was right. I have now been an atheist for over 50 years and never again looked to a fantasy to feel better about myself. I'm very glad I kicked this habit and didn't succomb to the absurdities of religion.

The silmarillion was written by Tolkien as a base mythology of middle earth.

Even though these Pew numbers reflect a different overall U.S. population, I like to point out how The U.S. Christian population is just over 70%, the Christian Prison population is around 77%. In contrast, Atheists/Agnostics U.S. population is around 17% now, but the Prison portion is 0.2%.

Just glad I still have the copy my folks gave me for my first penance, would hate to be responsible for any of those sales myself 🙂

Orly Level 5 Nov 12, 2017

Do pets you Love Go heaven !

I wouldn't go if my dogs couldn't. Fuck that.

I've read about nde that say that they do. They say that animals can create their own world up there. I'll see all my dogs up there , and cats.

The Pope said dogs do go to heaven.
Anything to stay popular.

Maybe they need to release science books in a story format to get the students interested.

Betty Level 8 Nov 12, 2017

They should be available in schools. If there is enough interest then more would be made.

Ooo, @silvereyes, interesting info.

Thanks for showing me how to tag earlier.

Do unto others as they do unto you.

I'm a lot more worried about scientific illiteracy and innumeracy than Bibical illiteracy.

I am still boggled by number 9. Studies say that less than 20 percent of Americans attend church regularly and less than that have ever read their book from beginning to end. So, they say they believe but do next to nothing.

It's not your job to decide how "Christian" somebody is, just be there to refute an argument when they present one. Hell, you can even use their lack of knowledge against them.

Hi,

You are right to be confused by #9. It's a variant of something called the problem of nominalism. A lot of Christians are nominal in the sense that they are Christian in name only.

Unfortunately, statistics can't distinguish between a Christian in-name only versus a fundamentalist Christians. They still both mark Christian on the census.

1.) The Bible is the world's bestselling book
“and the least read” says VictoriaNeuronotes

2.) The Bible is the world's most shoplifted book
“even if it’s given away free” says MichaelSpinler

3.) Less than 2/3s of the public, 63%, can correctly name Genesis as the first book in the bible.

• that is proof of VictoriaNeuronotes’ comment.

7.) 95% of the world is reached through 2,426 languages
You mean to say that around 7 billion people are aware that there is such a book?

8.) Only 55% know that the golden rule, “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you,” is not one of the Ten Commandments.
I think “Do unto others . . . “ is the most popular version of the golden rule and most believe it came from the Eastern philosophies. In the Bible Jesus said to “Treat others . . .”

9.) The Americas have the largest majority of 86% Christians.
The Philippines is more than 90% Christian

10.) Worldwide 32% of the population are Christian
The non-religious are 16% of the world population, the third largest.

11.) Christianity has 2.3 billion adherents.
Non-adherents are around 1.5 billion, the third largest group next to Islam and ahead of Hinduism.

I think we should all start promoting the Silmarillion as a substitute for the Bible.

What is the Simillarian? Never heard of it?

"Not all who wander are lost" - J.R.R.T.

@pfreddie62 : "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." -J.R.R.T.

Science started in the first Universities, reserved for the rich and royal. The first Western universities (Morocco had the first university before Western Society) we're funded by the Church, and its first teachers were educated monks or priests. It's like a nun teaching sex education! Very bias leanings. Even the first printers were only owned by Church institutions and would only print pro-Christian propaganda - like the flat earth geography books! Not until the Enlightenment of the 18th Century did the books of learning change.

I'm actually surprised at #3, the rest of it seems about right.

I do give out books in general at my events for helping the homeless. Personally the books I pick out are either nonfiction and usually some sort of science or humanist flavor to them, or science fiction that tends to shed light on the subject. Others bring books of all sorts of subjects and I just don't want to say no to any specific books. I personally won't bring books that promote religion in any way. I get them dirt cheap from Goodwill. I have my own issues with the way Goodwill operates, but it's not as bad as a lot of the other thrift stores in town, which are almost all run by churches.

I think this says it all

Along with so many adherents apparently not knowing much about the Bible, it makes me wonder if any of this matters much, and if there are any studies regarding the role of oral dissemination despite the high availability of the book itself.

I guess we have to thank Mr. Gutenberg for inventing the printing press. Before him there were very few bibles in existence and very few people could read, so even if you could afford a bible you probably had to pay someone to read it to you, which made it impossible for the vast majority of people to understand it fully. After Gutenberg, more people learned to read and when he mass produced the bible people like us started to question it...

We can stop humanity reading the Bible by exterminating humanity but not a clever plan....Does the notion of teaching people Critical Thinking is less achievable? Better not publish books and teaching people how to read?

Interesting facts.

The Golden rule actually incorporates several commandments in one neat guidance ,i.e do not murder,steal,commit adultery,lie,be jealous, and honouring parents ,,so 6 commandments in one summary.Which Jesus is quoted saying in the NT.

Liked the stolen Bibles stat,do they get to the not stealing commandment and then take the Bible back?

Well... they're not reading them. At least in my experience, very few are actually read, and far fewer are understood. I was Christian for about 5 years... hated every second of it. Not a bad read, but keep in mind you're reading a fictional history, and like any good work of fiction, it has mixed in a few facts and almost believable lies.

I wonder what a future generation 2000 years from now would have to say about Stephen King's book The Stand, or Dean Koontz's book Watcher?

Amen perfect

Thanks guys, always appreciate the support lol.

Where do I donate lol

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:3480
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.