Agnostic.com

43 3

Do you "collect" anything? What is it, and do you display your collection?

MrLink 8 Mar 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

43 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I started collecting old woodworking hand planes, but they're not just to look at. I also use them. After I while I grew tired of collecting them, and stopped buying every one I found. I do still have quite a few though.

Verycool. What kind of wood working items do you produce? Furniture?

@MrLink I make all kinds of things. Someone else on this forum asked me to post some of my work. The pics are on my profile page.

@Eazyduzzit I checked them out. I admire your skills!

@MrLink
Thank you very much, but it’s really not so much a skill as just something I had a strong desire to learn, and I put a lot of work into learning it.

@Eazyduzzit that makes it a skill, bro!

Both my collections are virtual. I collect Kindle books, and my wildlife/bird photographs. I store photos and videos on Google Drive.

I used to collect die-cast cars; still have a few. That started mainly because a house I once bought had a room with shelves covering half of one wall and I needed something to put on them.

Do you think any of them have turned out to have real value?

@MrLink no, I don't think that's the case, honestly. Maybe in a hundred years the still boxed ones will be worth more, but mostly they were just cars that had some personal significance, and they weren't "high end" examples.

Books, lots of books, shell and rocks we find, but mostly books. Shelves of them by author and series.

I have a collection of horses, 4 to be exact. They have a pasture and can be viewed up close, or from the road.

teapots

gater Level 7 Mar 9, 2018

My mother collects elephant teapots.

switchblades C:

Nice collection. I collect pocket knives - and blades of all types. But I don't have any switchblades.

I used to collect baseball cards until they became worthless. At least the ones I had from the time I grew up are 99% worthless. Cards from the 80s and 90s and sooner are probably worth on average . 1 - . 3 cents a piece. The money is in the cards from before the 60s and 70s really. I think the 50s has the most cards collectively that are expensive. The most expensive card ever is Honus Wagner from 1909 - 1911. It's worth almost $3m now. I used to just enjoy it, but that stopped at some point.

After rocks, fossils and stone artifacts I collect almost nothing else other than silver coins.

Was dust one of the categories you were thinking about? lol

I used to collect comic books. I haven't in a long time. I still have boxes of old ones that I am giving to my nephew. They are probably worth some money.

Pigs. It started with a hand-carved wooden pig with wings, wearing a Santa Suit. They've all been gifts. One of my nephews gets me the same birthday card every year. "If you're happy and you know it, clamp your hams." It's a fairly small collection, but it's the only knick-knacky type thing I do, and it's actually completely out of character.

I actually have two pigs, a painted carved wooden one and a huge (2 ft x 18 inches) painted clay piggy bank, and they both belong to the minimalist that rags me about having so much stuff!

@ScienceBiker That's me. Always keep 'em guessin', and shocked. You never know what I'm gonna do!!!

Sadly I "collect" most everything, (so far the only thing mentioned by anyone here that I don't have several to hundreds of are the "wooden hand planes" I also have dirt/grass/rocks and water from places I have traveled and those that friends have brought me back when I couldn't go. They are in pretty jars/bottles in my china cabinet. I am not quite hoarder status yet, but my youngest child "the minimalist" is really nagging me.

Candy Level 4 Mar 9, 2018

I used to display it, but I learned that human skulls make people feel uneasy.

I collect tea pots and other tea accessories. I don't just collect them, however, I use them as well. Some are displayed in a cabinet, but others are kept away. About twice a year I switch some of the pieces.

I collect shot glasses from places I've been and marvel stuff

Star Wars memorabilia, mostly the vintage toys or anything Darth Vader related. It's all scattered about my spare room right now, trying to find the time to rearrange everything into some semblance of order.

MONEY!!!! Just kidding. Well, I actually do have a decent little collection of coins from various parts of the world, my favorites being an old 2 shilling piece and a modern coin from New Zealand that features an image of a face with traditional indigenous tattoo designs.

I collect Living Dead dolls, dragonware and rock/crystal skulls. I also have a small collection of gargoyles.

Broken hearts.... Lol Just kidding, I don't collect anything. Eventually everything starts irritating me, and I throw all the junk away

Oooo... Boy do I need to do more of that!

Physical things, I collect antique drinking glasses, hand made. Haven't had the money to do that much in recent years, but I like what I have. They are on display. Also quite a lot of coins, many very old. Don't add to that now. Some might be valuable, but I haven't looked at them for years. I collect a lot digital content now, on people I like, including photos, archive material and movies and TV. I'm quite assiduous on some people I especially like. Also books.

I collect fish and love displaying them.

That looks like a serious tank!

yes, its an ex-display tank with 500 gallons in it. the fish is 24" long.

@LeighShelton 500 gallons? Wow! I have never seen one that big. Does its great size make its easier to keep properly regulated?

it's much easier. the bigger the tank the easier. I started off at about 13-14 with a 3` tank and still love them.

I have a nice collection of Day of the Dead items, as well as hippos......yeah, two very different things, but I love 'em! I display both but in different areas of my home. DOTD is a bit more personal, so I have those things in my bedroom/master bath. Hippos are in the guest bedroom.

Dragons...displayed on a shelf in the office in my house. Mostly ceramic, mostly all insense burning (the smoke out of the nose effect), one oil burning one with flame out of the mouth...and you?

lerlo Level 8 Mar 10, 2018

I collect...memories, pictures and words.

Nena Level 6 Mar 10, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:34813
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.