Agnostic.com

16 3

Was there a major musical influence that aided you in your beliefs?

I would give credit to the band Tool. They are my favorite band and they have opened my eyes to a lot of things. Listening to their lyrics made me look up words and meanings and try to understand Maynard's, (band singer) background. I would often compare to my own life. Now that I understand a bit more, the songs make more sense. So I'm curious if there are other great musical influences out there...

valerina 7 Mar 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Ani DiFranco's What If No One's Watching. I was already atheist before I heard it, but it's still a great song.

Oh I'll have to listen to it!

@Lateralus Have you seen this thread?

Music is so personal and intimate. You can tell many things about someone, based on their musical tastes. Not that it completely defines them. But, definitely gives a glimpse of their personality. And then, there are the music makers. Who's courage and creativity can inspire others.

"We are the music makers. We are the dreamers of the dreams." Willy Wonka

Voltaire, Ministry, Skinny Puppy, Nine Inch Nails, XTC... And I guess I'm dating myself.

Love me some NIN!!

My favorite band is Hatebreed and contrary to beliefs due to the name, they are not racist. They have a lot of meaning to their music and the fast grinding of it helps alot to stay motivated. I'm also a big fan of Rage Against The Machine

Tippa Level 5 Mar 16, 2018

Oh i meant to comment on this... Rage was my first concert! I lost interest agter the singer left though.

My son was a great follower of Mark-e -Smith now deceased - lead singer of post punk group The Fall, he was always late nearly always drunk and his fans were seriously loyal waiting for him to show up till midnight he had no front teeth and I think what I loved most was that the fans loved each other . I used to be a fan of Hawkwind.

REM losing my religion is my theme song. I would actually say the movie Zeigist is the straw that broke the camel's back

Of sorts, perhaps not so much. Blue Oyster Cult. I loved the band for many years, could not make out what the hell they were singing about much of the time. About ten years ago after much study of a few secular, if esoteric subjects it made rich sense. I discovered their songs were based on a story written by the producer and founder of sorts for the band. This work figures prominently in the characters and lyrics of most of their early songs and many thereafter. Made the weirdness even cooler. In some respects my core philosophies resonate with these lyrics and stories.

The first song I heard that directly lent support to some of the "free-thinking" ideas I was beginning to have was 'Witch Hunt' by Rush.

The night is black Without a moon The air is thick and still The vigilantes gather on The lonely torchlit hill. Features distorted in the flickering light The faces are twisted and grotesque Silent and stern in the sweltering night The mob moves like demons possesed Quiet in conscience Calm in their right Confident their ways are best. The righteous rise With burning eyes Of hatred and ill-will Madmen fed on fear and lies To beat and burn and kill. They say there are strangers who threaten us In our immigrants and infidels They say there is strangeness too dangerous In our theaters and bookstore shelves. That those who know what's best for us Must rise and save us from ourselves. Quick to judge Quick to anger Slow to understand Ignorance and prejudice And fear walk hand in hand...

I've heard Rush and wasn't a big fan but I gotta say, this song is pretty awesome. Thanks so much for sharing! It gives me a different perspective of Rush.

Yep! Metallica, Moterhead and Voltaire all influenced my journy to atheism.

John Lennon's IMAGINE. It's the definition to me of agnostic atheism. "Imagine no religion. Its easy if you try. Nothing to kill or die for, above us only sky"

I love this comment so much!! Imagine has ALWAYS been a favorite of mine and has been a foundation for me since the first time I read the lyrics!

Have you heard John Lennon’s “I don’t believe...” ?

I've always liked The Police. There's something about their music looking for deeper connections that have nothing to do with God.

Christian rock!
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a stirring rendition of Amazing Grace as much as the next "guy" and Pentatonix totally ROCKS Hallelujah (not really about religion, read the lyrics) but when Christians decide to get creative with rock music, the results can be.........
Well, horrifying! If this stuff doesn't put you off religion, then you are not JUST tone deaf!
[bing.com]

Within Temptation. I have to be emotionally prepared to listen. They are incredible. Admittedly Not super familiar with the entire catalog, but have Memories in my head writing this.

No not at all

Grateful Dead

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:34902
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.