Agnostic.com

500 20

What moral code do you follow now that you are non-religious?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

500 comments (376 - 400)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Her: "It's in the Code!"
Pirate: "Well, it's not so much of a CODE as it is a guideline".

I was born "non-religious". I believe in the Golden Rule, I also believe in Hammurabi`s Silver Rule.

For me, common sense... plus “resserts” big 3. After experiencing 75 years of living... everything becomes easier. I realize common sense isn’t as common as it should be, still make mistakes, we make choices, our principles (big 3) make corrections.

Tomas Level 7 Dec 20, 2017

My moral code? As Jim Jefferies says, "Don't be a cunt."

[Strong language in the link, if you have a weak heart.]

I don't equate morality as a religious equation.It's a human vice.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you under the same circumstances.

Enlightened self interest. (Same thing, different words).

The premise of this question is wrong. Moral code and religion are not related.

be willing to admit when you're wrong.
period

Sam Harris' Moral Landscape is a good read.

Reason and compassion.

Be kind, killing other humans other than in defense is wrong, be kind to all living things. Respect all things.

Treat others as you want to be treated. If what I do hurts someone, physically, mentally or emotionally, than I want to avoid doing that even if just to that one person. I absolutely reject that morality includes things like modesty, female-submission, etc.

clea Level 4 Dec 16, 2017

The code I followed when I was religious. Try my best to get through each day with as little pain as possible. I also find doing right by others makes it life easier.

I find that just about everything falls into a moral grey area, in that I think that morality evolved alongside society as means of a way for social animals to have the highest quality life, and succeed in the one things that all living things are programmed to succeed in; procreate. Having said that, we learn our morals at the feet of our parents, and what is ingrained deeply in me is a sense of needing to feel like I have been honorable in the choices I have made in life.

Although I'm still working on reformulating and improving my own personal moral philosophy at this time, I've long believed in kindness, consideration of the feelings and the well-being of other people and of living creatures in general, helping others, honesty, and forgiveness. I also agree with some of you that it's important to not be an asshole! 🙂

Utilitarianism.

In simple terms it would be based on science and reason alone. I would ask myself is there any evidence to say this (any moral question you can think of) is a bad thing. It then raises the question what is bad and what is good

Here Sam Harris and Richard Dawkins talk about this subject in great detail. Well worth a watch if you care about the answer to this question

Simply try to treat everything the way I would want to be treated while trying to act in a way that I don't think I'll feel different about when looking back.

The golden rule. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Every culture on earth has their own version of this.

The same moral code I have always had!
Treat every one as equals.
Harm no one if you can help it.
Help when you can.

The Golden Rule.

None. I'm aware of right & wrong, like it's wrong to grab women by their "pussy", etc. and it's right to help out friends & others when they need it. It's right to have boundaries for myself so I don't get stupid & get used. Telling the truth is important, even if it makes people angry or even hurts their feelings. I get my feelings hurt when people "tell me what they think I want to hear" which always ends up being a lie. And so on.

Ever since I am young, I follow my empathy. It doesn't need a training, school, church or any institution to learn empathy. It is a natural thing to feel good if you do good, and to feel bad if you do bad. People are born with moral compass, but many people allow their bad environment, bad experience, bad relationship twist their good moral compass

I pretty much go by: be good in your thoughts and actions. Or, how would you like to be treated? I have posted a statement in my office, the author of which could be Ralph Waldo Emerson, or Frank Outlaw~Bi-Lo Stores, or anyone as probably in its base statement was less wordy... but ultimately:

Keep your thoughts positive because your thoughts become your words.
Keep your words positive because your words become your behaviors.
Keep your behavior positive because your behavior becomes your habit.

I like to call my ethical code Optimistic Nihilism: Nothing matters so grudges are meaningless. Just try to make the best of it.

And I just noticed there is a Kurzgesagt video with that exact same name... Well, now I have something to watch.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:35
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.