Agnostic.com

500 20

What moral code do you follow now that you are non-religious?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

500 comments (426 - 450)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was thinking about something similar the other day. It seems to me that everyone has pretty much the same morality particular to a time and place, with just small differences, so I'll say Midwest 2017.

Watch "DESIDERATA - You Are A Child Of The Universe - original version" on YouTube

I rely on the decency of good citizenship and being an altruistic humanitarian. To me, being a good person is upholding the civil liberties we enjoy as american citizens. "Do no harm" covers a lot.

No need of any particular code.

Basically the golden rule, plus friends are not people who try to use friendship as a means of emotional blackmail, but rather people who are willing to forgive your mistakes and is somebody easy to talk to.

Mr_Dj Level 5 Nov 15, 2017

I follow the 13 Atheopagan Principles. [atheopaganism.wordpress.com]

Truth
Honor
Justice
Divergent Thinking
Mercy
Enlightenment

NOW that I"m non-religious? I've always been athiest. I tell people, "Your god may forgive. I don't and I have to live with me."

worship your mother

raza Level 1 Nov 12, 2017

Do as thou will harm none but smash your enemies so that they never return...

What goes around comes around. A.K.A.Karma.

The question indicates that you can't be moral without religion, although I personally try to use christian values ie respect for mankind good will to all etc etc

Generally, I let others lead the way - I always start off by giving everyone the benefit of the doubt (I honestly like everyone from the start). But if I feel they are dishonest, then I am dishonest with them, if they speak ill of others, then I speak ill of them, if others are harmed by their actions (or words), then I have no issue with causing them harm through my actions (or words) - I believe in the adage that what goes around, comes around .. and then I add to it by forcing their behavior back their way. I have many who hate me, I don't care (they started it!)!

A most interesting question. By Moral Code one can be asking a number of questions, but perhaps the clearest is: "What rules govern your behavior?" My training as a psychologist as well as decades of research and observation have me firmly on the side that we are all "ruled governed individuals." I do not think any of us live by a single rule. I could list dozens of rules that govern my own behavior, but perhaps two that are more meaningful to me are: 1) Everything is always as it should be and 2) Everyone is always doing the best they can.

I believe in Karma, The energy you put into the world is what you receive back from it.

Treat others kindly, but that's always been how I self-govern, and I've always been non-religious (with a few detours). And, honestly, simple as kindness is, some times I screw up!

Don't heart people , any people that special myself

The Bible has some real gems. The Golden Rule is one of them.

Except when it comes to homosexuals and witches 8)

I was raised in an atheist household. I never even knew that religion was supposed to be the source of morality until later in life. My family is extremely ethical. It comes with human nature. It has NOTHING to do with religion. Once I started going through the Bible, I discovered that religion is anything but moral. That's when I started losing respect for people who actually believe in and follow the Bible. My cousin-in-law said that she was brought up in an atheist household that was much less ethical; she realized that atheists were much more ethical, when she joined our family.

I just caught a typo in there. My cousin-in-law was brought up in a religious, not atheist, household that was much less ethical than our atheist family.

I always say if it doesn't hurt anyone, do whatever the hell makes you happy. I advocate for people, not some holy book that says stoning gay people is okay.

Humanism.

I use the laws of the land and the same innate moral code that others use. I use my reasoning to decide and know what is right from wrong. To imply that we need a 'moral code' like a doctrine is to turn us into the sheep of religion.

I am a druid of the Asatru traditioin

Harri Level 1 Oct 27, 2017
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:35
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.