Agnostic.com

500 20

What moral code do you follow now that you are non-religious?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

500 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Treat others the way you wanna be treated. Be respectful to others and our planet even if it might be difficult. Think before you speak or do something. It's okay to get other opinions. Exercise your intrapersonal intelligence so you can have a strong intuition.

Do no harm and help when you can. Very simple. We are not barbarians and we have outgrown the iron age BS of the past.

Speak for yourself. I am definitely a barbarian!

I still abide by the so called golden rule, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

But didn't you know that anyway, before somebody wrote it in the buybull?

The golden rule doesn't work very well if you're a paedophile though does it?

@GoldenDoll - That's why I say it should be "treat others the way they wish to be treated."

It's a do unto others ....outlook. And a feeling of what goes around comes around. That seems to work for me. I have a conscience. I find so many who call themselves Christians, don't walk the talk.

Nina Level 4 Sep 28, 2017

It's dangerous to use the what goes around comes around code - it lets an awful lot of people off the hook when they do bad things, and we all know it's not true. (And it's almost a "religious" thing! - have faith in somebody/something else sorting out injustices).

It's what works for me.... I have a conscience and feel that if I do wrong to another, It will come back to me. It has worked that way in my life, so far.

Be kind, honest,fair,and do not abuse or suffer abuse. Keep an open mind, listen and allow logic to overide desire.

I try to treat and understand other like I would like to be treated and understood.

Do no harm. If that's not an option, then do as little harm as possible. Pretty simple.

Deb57 Level 8 Oct 15, 2018

Leave other people the hell alone and hope they'll do the same

For me, the most significant moral code is the "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" dictum.

Don’t be a dick.

Be kind, honest, and fun to be with. Basically the Golden Rule, with a little courtesy thrown in. This is how I raised my children. I read them a book of Bible stories, so they would know the history and cultural literacy. We discussed ways to act, what could have been done better, and being proud of trying something difficult. It's all about being the best YOU that you can be, in my opinion.

I think I have more morals than the majority of religious people. I don't harass or bully anyone, I don't con or steal from anyone. I enjoy creating a smile for someone who doesn't have one. I love my family and friends. I get great satisfaction building something that didn't exist but for my hands. I don't need something after this life as nothingness really is fine as I won't be able to feel anything or be aware of anything. I'll just be happy if I've left a positive mark on the planet really.

Same as always. Start the day in silence, on your own with coffee. The rest of the day then falls into place (sort of) 🙂

My moral code has never been influenced by that book of fiction. My code of conduct is, 1. Random acts of kindness no matter your race, color or religious delusion. 2. Honesty with tactfulness. 3. Trust until given reason not to. 4. I do what I say and say what I do. 5. Never compromise who I am and what I believe or DON'T believe.

The moral code of survival: if I treat my neighbor and all others with love and respect, the odds of my survival (emotional, physical psychological) are vastly increased.

Except when those neighbours want to knock you on the head and take your stuff.

I am a physical chemist. My moral code is based on the concept of equilibrium in the universe. I try to act with balance and harmony in all things and in particular with a reverence for life

Cool - I'm a physical chemist too!

Yep we are cool ...

The problem is that people equate morals with religion and think one needs religion to be moral. In my opinion, as I reflect on history and the root cause of war and hateful behavior, religion has in most every case, played a major role. Humans can be caring and kind without buying into the make believe world of a higher power that takes care of everyone who prays hard enough or donates enough money. That is dependent of course on whether or not "He" decides taking care of you is the thing to do. If "He" decides not to protect and care for you, it is for some reason that only He knows. As humans we are just too damn dumb to understand what is best for us.
I digress. Morals are not rooted in religion. For me humanity is defined by behavior wherein the individual respects others and makes every effort to treat others with kindness.

I think of religion as being for controlling people rather than for teaching morals.

I don't have a moral code. i have ethics. i always had them. i had them while i was being raised as a secular jew, i had them during my religious year, and i have had them since realizing, at the age of 15, that i was an atheist. what does disbelief in gods have to do with moral codes? are people only ethical if an invisible, omnipotent entity tells them (but not by tweet, for some reason) they should be? and which moral code would that be, anyway? there are lots of religions, lots of gods. should i follow zeus' moral code? he was a petulant rapist. how about loki, who wasn't so nice either? i don't need a code book to know right from wrong, and i don't need to be threatened with eternal damnation to care about right and wrong.

g

p.s. regarding "now that you are non-religious": lots of people have always been irreligious. not every atheist used to be religious, those who were may be more ethical now that they're not. i've seen some pretty unethical behavior from self-described christians, i must say!

Basically I choose the option that will do the most good/least harm whenever I need to make a decision. Simplicity is a lovely thing.

I do the right things, because it's the right thing to do , not because I might be 'punished ', and I like sleeping well at night, no worries

These pretty much sum it up for me.

Abuse is bad, mkay?

Have never really been religious and don't see that religions actually follow moral codes all that much. I go by what I learned growing up and through personal observation and reflection.

Be civil and treat others the way you would want to be treated. Do not force your opinions and/or beliefs on other people.

I believe I am a very ethical person and religion wouldn't change that whatsoever.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:35
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.