Agnostic.com

29 0

Does this group do anything consrtuctive that benefits society?

alon 6 May 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

29 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

As a group, we are under no obligation to "do" anything. Constructive, or otherwise.

Individually, there are many who do things to help their communities.
There are also those who do everything within their power to keep their
families whole, and all that implies.

What constitutes "constructive" is quite a subjective concept.
Asking the question belies an inherent judgment.
If we aren't doing what some would consider constructive, perhaps we're somehow less than.

I would cordially invite anyone who takes that attitude to kiss my ass.

Since one only has one life to live, and it is impossible to experience as much as we would want directly or go to places or even learn everything we would like, I think it is great to have a group of people who share their lives so you can do this...

I have learned something factual or about life every time I come here...lots of intelligent and thoughtful people; lots of kind and fun people;

I think that is a wonderful thing to have this to bring back to our real lives and our communities, so my answer is "yes"...affect the individual, you affect society.

Ditto!

Here in the Bible Belt, I am surrounded with people I can't speak with because they're all Christians who dislike atheism. On this site, I find people with whom I can communicate honestly. It is very good for me.

I've the same issue. GEORGIA grrrr!

We help each other with constructive spelling.

do we need to "benefit society" to be worthwhile?

I provide a bad example.

consrtuctive constructive. We fix spelling errors like no other group can.

Does it need to in order to justify its existance?

1of5 Level 8 May 27, 2019

Yes, I believe so. Even by existing, and giving us a platform to communicate (about whatever topic we find fit), I thing agnostic. Com helps our society.

It provides a social support group for many who are doing a lot of good out there, and especially the lonely and isolated. It gives a platform for people to explore their moral understanding, which makes them better at engaging with the larger society. It educates, (see the many groups). And most of all it helps to promote healthy skeptical thinking, out into the wider world by encouraging skeptics.

We prove that religion isn't necessary for society to continue relatively unabated, while simultaneously pointing out why others should, at the very least, view religion, and by extension religious believers themselves, with a skeptical eye. I'd say that qualifies as incredibly constructive to society as a whole.

Fighting religion is the single most important cause that will benefit the humanity (let alone a society) the most than any other single cause, effort, foundation, group or entity anywhere in the world in the history of mankind and the future of mankind.

Yes, that what we do to benefit the society.

We are fighting the deadliest but a very slow killing brain cancer that has been ruining lives of people over thousands of millennia but we are focusing on how badly it has spread in the last 2,000 years.

is the general and hello group SUPPOSED to do anything constructive that benefits society? or is that not what you mean by "group"? if you mean the entire site, yes, it does something constructive that benefits society in two ways. it benefits people who have a need to talk to other people not brainwashed by religion, and it benefits by extension those to whom our members then reach out.

g

Remember that atheists are among the most reviled labels, even worse than Muslim. While a few people feel safe enough to come out of the closet, most people realize that declaring unbelief could make them unemployed, discriminated against, or otherwise subject to physical danger. Given that religion is a scourge and a poison on every level, and an imminent danger to humanity, encouraging like-minded atheists, the site is profoundly constructive to society. Many other countries have transitioned to non-belief and the US is close to the tipping point. Those who count the US as having a system better than fascism know that eroding religious belief cannot happen quickly enough.

I bake bread for a Syrian Orthodox Church once a week. They use the money to feed the poor. Never ask about my religious views. Also deliver meals at thanksgiving.

Does a pair of glasses help one see the world with more clarity? In a similar way, this site calibrates our perspective regarding all things in the human condition.

Do we need to in order to justify our existence?

I exist 😉

And the benefitts of that are beyond measure.

Only if you choose to engage me or I engage you.

Will you be proposing something? What do you do beside dining finely?

How about you ummmm?

the free exchange of ideas (of course until you disagree with the wrong person, then you're a troll 🙂)

lerlo Level 8 May 27, 2019

Why are you asking?

Dear Alon, not all endeavors must lead to some measurable or profound benefit to society. Take comfort in the fact that unlike religion we aren't starting wars or causing misery in a global basis. Many of us do charity but again, unlike religion, we don't claim our atheism as a benefit to society by just existing. This site has many facets, you can post your feelings, find companionship, learn new ideas or just vent.

Gives you something to do instead of doing something constructive that helps society!

Looks like you got a number of good answers choose the one you like the most.😉

It need not "benefit society", it is generally a dating and/or social sight. Asking if it benefits society seems to suggest a hostile mindset against agnostics.

No hostility intended.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:352568
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.