Agnostic.com

4 4

It's easy to roast a whole chicken. Here's how.

Just took a whole roast chicken out of the oven. Smells heavenly! It's a "natural" chicken- no chemicals or sodium injected.

Weighing 6.3 pounds, it took one hour, 45 minutes to roast.

Prep

1. Place a rack in the middle of the oven. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.

2. From the chicken cavity, remove organs and neck. Rinse the chicken with cold water, scraping out the inside with your fingers. Rinse thoroughly. ( I use nylon gloves.)

3. Pat dry, inside and out. Rub the skin all over with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

4. With white string, tie the ends of the leg bones together. Turn the chicken over. Tie together the wings to prop up the chicken in the oven.

Roasting

1. Spray a roasting pan with a rack with cooking spray. Place chicken in the center of the pan, breast side up.

2. Put the chicken in the oven. Immediately turn down the oven to 350 degrees. Set the timer for 90 minutes.

3. After 90 minutes, check the internal temperature of the breast meat. An instant-read cooking thermometer is wonderful.

Chicken should cook to 165 degrees. If it's not done, put it in the oven for 10-15 minutes more. Check again. Repeat until it reaches 165 degrees.

To brown the skin more, I broiled it for four minutes afterwards. Watch it. Under the broiler, food goes quickly from lovely brown to burned.

[thermoworks.com]

#oil
LiterateHiker 9 May 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Lot of fantastic yummy ideas

What a lot of faffing about

1. catch the chicken (pheasant, partridge, or other game bird is equally good)
    2, build a fire
    3 gut the chicken
    4 cover whole chicken and feathers with damp clay
    5 put covered chicken into low fire and cover sides with embers
    7 wait 1 hour, pull cooked chicken out of fire, add little fuel to maintain fire
  2. break away hot clay using stick or knife - feathers and most skin come away with clay

eat steam roasted chicken once able to bear the heat

you can stuff the chicken with fresh picked herbs, apple, or other available fruit
This is delicious

sorry all, I am used to getting by without the everyday niceties when necessary and enjoy getting back to basics sometimes

@ShadowAmicus

Hey Caveman, that's hilarious!

I put three peeled garlic cloves in the cavity before roasting the chicken.

Lemon chicken is great, too! Just put half of lemon inside the chicken before roasting.

@LiterateHiker I sometimes do a chopped onion and cloves of garlic - then use them with the juices to make a gravy sauce

@ShadowAmicus

I prefer reduced chicken broth, instead of gravy.

I added white wine and chicken broth to the pan. Boiled and reduced by half, scraping browned bits off the sides and bottom of the pan.

Strain through cheesecloth in a wire strainer. Chill and remove the fat at the top.

Reminds me of periods spent in the bush during my youth. Put a few potatoes in the low fire as well for superb, baked potato to eat with it.

Putting lemon in and on chicken really helps to keep it moist and juicy

I made BBQ chicken for dinner. I had the butcher cut it up, I brined it for 30 minuets using 2 quarts of water and 1/2 cup kosher salt. I brushed each piece with BBQ sauce before putting it in my Kamado oven. I cooked it for 20 minuets then brushed more BBQ sauce on it and turned it over to cook another 20 minuets. I opened the oven and brushed and turned each piece again and let it cook until each piece measured 165F. My Kamado oven is over 50 years old and made out of clay. The grill is well above the fire so it is great for cooking things low and slow.

yummy

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:352573
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.