Agnostic.com

26 27

Diamonds Are NOT A Girl's Best Friend

For an anniversary gift, my father bought Mom a 3.6 carat, diamond solitaire ring for $51,000 in the early 1970s. That's $340,000 in today's dollars.

In sketchy areas, Mom turned the huge diamond to her palm. "I could have my finger cut off for this ring," she said.

Mom died in 2008. During a bad recession. We had Mom's ring appraised: $55,000; excellent quality. My three siblings and I held off on selling the ring, thinking the economy was lousy and it will increase in value.

Meanwhile, the diamond market and technology changed. Conflict diamonds became an international issue. Now diamonds are computer-cut. Everyone wants computer-cut diamonds.

Mom's beautiful, hand-cut diamond ring was suddenly Beverly Hillbilly-style, not desirable.

It was reappraised at $26,500. Attempts to sell it for $25,000 failed for a year. $15,000 failed for a year. Finally found a buyer at $9,500. We got $9,275 after expenses.

A New York City jeweler bought the diamond. The setting was melted down and sold as gold.

Yesterday, I received a check for $2,318 (what each of us got).

"May I have the crispest $100 bill you have?" I asked while depositing the check. "It's for my daughter."

My brother bought an iPhone.

Glad my mother gave me her pearls! Now I need to get them re-strung.

LiterateHiker 9 May 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

26 comments (26 - 26)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am always amazed at what most jewelery is worth when watching Antiques Road Show - especially when you see what an old wooden chair can go for. Art and jewelry are only worth whatever somebody is willing to pay - it is all marketing and artists like Picasso and Andy Warhol and jewelers like Tiffany's understood this concept very well.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:354395
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.