Agnostic.com

8 0

Question about a broken nose

I broke my nose a few days ago. It looked almost entirely red afterwards, like it was covered in blood. But the red couldn't be wiped off.

After a couple of days, the red stuff was starting to get a little flaky (?) and today seems like it will soon be ready to pull off. Sorry to sound gross, but I'm just curious to learn exactly what is happening with my nose and the redness. Is there anyone who could explain this to me?

AlasBabylon 8 May 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Superficial contusion if you got medical help and no complications is just dead skin cells from swelling secondary to contusion

bobwjr Level 10 June 1, 2019

Please see a medical doctor.

To explain what happened: I stumbled getting off a city bus and fell face-first onto the sidewalk, hitting my nose in the process. A couple of kind passersby tended to me and called 911. At the hospital, they did a couple of cat scans (the second one was because of blood in my urine, they told me.) They put me in bed in the emergency room, until they got the results of the cat scans back.

They told me I had a fracture. The doctor and I talked about it for a few minutes, and he said I could go home that evening. He said that it might heal on its own, but that I should see an ear, nose and throat doctor. He gave me a couple of referrals. I will see an ENT doctor Monday morning.

My nose looks pretty straight to me. My breathing seems normal, and I'm able to blow my nose normally now. It just has this sort of rash or scab on my nose. I am hopeful that no surgery will be needed.

Another commenter, a doctor, said that he thought it was a bruise beneath the skin, and that it should clear up soon on its own. Anyway, I had never experienced or seen anything like this before, and I was curious.

I see. Probably a contusion(bruise) over the cartilage on your nose. It bled into enough layers of skin that like a bad sunburn, it’s peeling. That’s my guess since you are breathing and able to blow. Feel better soon!

@CarolinaGirl60 Thanks 🙂 What you said sounds right. I said "flaking", but I think "peeling" is a better word, and what it is doing. I just never had this happen to me before; it didn't happen the first time I broke my nose last year.

Um yeah, some things are beyond the level of expertise of the internet commentator.

You really should get this attended to. Not going to nag but it sounds like you might have a septal haemotoma. What on earth did you do? Please go to your GP

I was thinking broken blood vessel until I read the part where it's flaking. Now I'm not sure. I broke my nose about 10 years ago, but I don't remember anything like that.

Sounds more like a cheap clowns nose than a broken one 🙂

1of5 Level 8 May 31, 2019

Well, it was definitely red almost all over 🙂I thought that I might look clownish that same night 🙂

How did you break it? Is it crooked or deviated? Did one or both sides bleed? Any problem breathing, especially through one side?

My breathing is normal, and my nose isn't crooked. Hopefully there are no problems up inside that I'm not aware of, but I'll see an ENT Monday.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:354663
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.