Agnostic.com

7 1

How do you tell your family you no longer believe what they do?

Zakriya 4 May 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"Mom, I decided I am an atheist," I said at 13. "I don't want to go to church anymore."

"That's fine, honey," she replied.

My mother became an atheist in nursing school.

"I realized a woman cannot be turned into salt," she said dryly.

I never did believe, my kin gets it my mom still thinks that I could be converted. She would have better luck talking Larry Flinn to being the Pope.

My dad was never a believer. He admitted that he took us to church all those years(plus was a deacon, treasurer, in the choir etc) because it seemed like ‘the right thing to do’.

I never believed either. I refused church around age 16. I just told them straight. A few of the family think I can be ‘saved’ but we have a deal: they don’t preach at me, and I won’t present facts to them.

Interesting encounter with a very religious cousin. She said she was so worried and asked: but where will you spend eternity?
My answer: same place you will.

Don't bother we are accepting family

bobwjr Level 10 May 31, 2019

As with anything it depends on how open they are. Some are fortunate to just come right how, others have to hide it. Like the proverbial Bandaid you may just to do it snd quickly.

Test the water and see and be prepared for questions or even damnation. Hopefully your family will understand.

We're here if you need support either way.

I believe in very little that my family do - god exists, jesus lived died and was reborn then taken to heaven, newspapers don't lie, the government cares about people, a 'good' funeral send off, being nice to people,even if you don't like them, drugs are always bad (unless a doctor says they are good), There is so much to argue about so I rarely speak with them.

Why do you feel it is necessary to make a big announcement? Just let your actions speak for themselves, and if asked, then quietly discourse with the questioner.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:354826
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.