Agnostic.com

8 7

QUESTION The Moral Responsibility of Dying

In my previous posting on the subject Death with Dignity and subsequent published letters in 3 of my local papers I discovered this item in the Humanist. This is exactly what I meant about religion getting its slippery fingers in the death process. Again, who pays for this; we all do. I have been getting a lot of comments here on my letters. One guy told me he had two DnR’s: Do Not Resuscitate and Do No Religion.

Also, Hawaii became the 6th state to adopt the program. For those of us who are interested here is a group that promotes the program.

[deathwithdignity.org]

JackPedigo 9 Mar 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If you are interested in pursuing the variuous arguments around having a dignified, painless and welcome death, I have published a fictional treatment of the topic, 'The Ladies' Suicide Club'.

I looked this club up and the book is listed for sale. We have several librarians on the island and I will send the link to them (one has a husband who in in the late stages of Parkinson's.
This is what is great about this site in that one can make lots of connections. Thank you.

I have been thinking of donating my body to medical students - Might as well serve some useful purpose they also bury you afterwards.

My late partner enrolled into what is known as a willed body program. Her body went to the local University for research. They cremate the bodies. I have enrolled in the same program. There are some restrictions to the program, though.

Glad that in Canada you have to request religion or you get none! That being said I have a DVR, Election of assisted death and a power of Attorney done.
I have asked for no funeral, to be cremated and to be placed in my bios urn and turned into a Lilac.

I have a DNR and a living will. No artificial means to sustain life under any circumstances. All my children have a copy. My daughter is my medical POA. She will abide by my wishes. I have to say, if I found out I had a terminal illness, I'll be moving to Oregon since my state has not passed a death with dignity act. The fear was that the elderly and ill would feel an obligation to knock themselves off to save the families medical bills and hardship. I still say, even if that is the case, they should still have that choice.

Vermont also has the program. I am working with a group "Hemlock Society" now called "Final Exit" after the book of the same name (which I just purchased). You might want to look into this for additional ideas.

@JackPedigo Thank you, I will. I'll also look into the laws in Vermont. It's a lot closer than Oregon.

Sad story; thought about it for myself when diagnosed with AML-did a living will for no feeding tubes, no breathing tubes.

This is just. Ugh. Why didn't the nurse in the family phone for an ambulance? It's been done from inside hospitals before. (Though I don't remember when this happened).

Also very often a brain dead patient doesn't get a feeding tube so eventually they die.

I'd rather go faster than that. Gees. I've got the shivers.

This creeps me out as much as the Worcester, MA family that kept their daughter alive for years. People would file through for "blessings". Working for a newspaper we covered it every single year. Sick.

Ah here's a link: [en.wikipedia.org]

@ScienceBiker Why have I never heard of this? OMG! rofl

@ScienceBiker I can't believe this wasn't part of my life before! I might need to see Worc. one more time....

I have a living will stating those things.

Make sure someone who will be standing there has a copy and is willing to yell it to staff. I've done this.

I love the 2 DNR's! Will have to add the second one.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:35582
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.