Agnostic.com

28 8

Do you have a favorite line, or lines from a book, or books you'd like to share?

I came across this one the other day in a book I'm currently reading:
"The lines of his face were the longitude and latitude of his life."

So very descriptive, imho. Probably more meaningful to us older folks.

Condor5 8 Mar 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

28 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"Good Morning, I see my assassins have failed."

"In the beginning was the word" No, not from the bible, from the ancient Egyptian god Ptah, so they nicked it! This was part of my journey of realisation.

Anything written by Carlos Ruiz Zafon - Thick columns of stone rose like trees in the shadows towards a naked vault. Needles of dusty light fell diagonally, revealing what looked like endless rows.of ramshackled beds. Small drops of water fell from the heights like black tears, exploding with an echo as they touched the ground. The darkness smelled of milldew and damp. Welcome to purgatory

AdieG Level 4 Mar 11, 2018

Huck Finn

"Alright. I'll go to Hell."

HermanN Hesse, in his STEPPENWORF,described his lead character Harry Haller, walking in a neighborhood and encountering a walled garden with a gate. On the gate was the phrase, Enter at your own risk. For fools and madmen only!" It depoicted that when we achieve some realizations about ourselfves as hujan beings, will cause much internal discord -- which many cannot deal with.

I will have to reread that book, it has been a long time.

Yup..mine is "This rock is more of than any other rock, because it's mine"..from a Stranger in a Strange Land.

In the middle of my annual viewing of 'The Wire' . So many good lines it's hard to remember them all. "A man must have a code." Omar, "It takes a whore to catch a whore." Kima, "What the fuck did I do?" said repeatedly by McNulty "You know the problem with this country Brucie? We used to make shit. Now we all just have our hand in the next guy's pocket." Frank Sobotka

" She gave me a smile I could feel in my hip pocket "...
... later on...
" I needed a drink, I needed a lot of life insurance, I needed a vacation, I needed a home in the country. What I had was a coat, a hat and a gun "
Farewell My Lovely, Ray Chandler.

Tomas Level 7 Mar 12, 2018

"What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles; Miles of Trials." --Once a Runner

Mea Level 7 Mar 11, 2018

If you experience it..it's the TRUTH, the same thing believed is a lie!

I wrote a line similar to that for Merle Haggard, Your line is worlds better.

The fact that you wrote for Merle Haggard impresses me. Did you actually meet him?

@Condor5 No, and I accidentally gave you the wrong impression. I should have said "a line I wrote ABOUT Merle..." Sorry

@Willber he was an interesting character, wasn't he?

@Condor5 he wrote some songs that floored me (Kern River) and some that pissed me off. (Love it or Leave it) but in the end he won me. I was playing in a bar and a fella came up and put a 50 dollar bill down. he said play some Merle. I played "Big City Turn Me Loose," "Tonight The Bottle Let Me Down," and "Sing Me Back Home."

For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path that may have heart, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length--and there I travel looking, looking breathlessly.

His pale white skin and light azure eyes drifted through the throng of dark-skinned, coffee-eyed shoppers in sharp contrast as a single white rose afloat in a field of summer-dried wheat. Hands and voices reached out to him from all sides, vying for his attention, trying to sell him this trinket or that and all manner of foods, but they went unnoticed. He was intent on his destination and moved past them as if they were ghosts unseen, unheard.

And these marvelous lines also tell us where he is now. the way he carried his burden and joy.
It is beautiful.

EMC2 Level 8 Mar 11, 2018

"Do you dance Mr Door?" - "Famed for it Mrs Flitworth"

That one is really nice. I think I will adopt this one.

Gert Level 7 Mar 20, 2018

Terry Goodkind's Wizard Rules:
Wizard's First Rule: People are Stupid, Given proper motivation people will believe almost anything. Because People are Stupid they will believe a LIE because they Want it to Be True or they are Afraid it Might be True.

This fits perfectly with Religion.

Perfect.

"Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise."
~ Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

"To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance." An Ideal Husband by Oscar Wilde

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education."

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."

Albert Einstein

Another line I'd temporarily misplaced came back last night; "So long, and thanks for all the fish." I bet someone can tell me where that's from.

could it be Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy? that's what came to mind...

@ThinkKate Bingo! Give the lady a box of chocolates.

"How I ached for a part in a play, I could say I didn't blow." Ferron

"If you feelings for me are still what they were last April, tell me so at one. My affections and wishes have not changed..." Pride and Prejudice.

I like a portion of a poem by Yeates that Sean Bean recites in the movie Equilibrium:

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams."

(Bean then raises the book of poems he is reading to shield his face. At which point Christian Bale raises his gun and shoots him in the head through the book. Of course, Bean dies.)

We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold. I remember saying something like "I feel a bit lightheaded; maybe you should drive..." Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - H.S. Thompson

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:35589
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.