Agnostic.com

11 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

i believe in God--with the caveat "what he said," iow "depends on one's def of God"--and i know for a fact that God does not "exist,"

ex·ist
/iɡˈzist/
verb

1. have objective reality or being.
    "there existed no organization to cope with espionage"
    synonyms: live, be alive, be living, have life, breathe, draw breath; More
  2. live, especially under adverse conditions.
    "only a minority of people exist on unemployment benefits alone"
    synonyms: survive, subsist, live, stay alive, support oneself, eke out a living, eke out an existence; More

But I never claimed that god doesn't exist, just that there's no evidence of god and therefore no reason to believe in it.

DAMN! That was one of the most interesting things I've ever watched! What a fantastic argument against the existence of a god! Very logical! Brings home some of the points I've been telling people for years - if god created all things AND he's totally good, then why is there bad (a satan, evil, etc.) in the world in the first place? Along that same line of thought, why does a god get all of the credit for everything good but none of the blame for anything bad? Very excellent video!

The law of non-contradiction? What about in quantum mechanics where it's been scientifically proven that one atom or photon can be in two different places at once? Even miles and miles away from each other.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

And who said the law of non-contradiction applies in Quantum Mechanics? No one said it, that's who.

With respect that was a very weak effort.

@SidneyWinston How is it a weak effort? Because it goes against the point of the video you posted? The law of non-contradiction is supposed to be logic. It might be logical in most cases, but not in all obviously. It doesn't matter if it's quantum mechanics. Is it not true that an atom or photon can be in 2 different places at the same time? It is true, and it goes against common logic.

With respect, your explanation in your last post is a very weak effort. It does nothing to prove your point. It's pretty much like trying to prove a negative.

You are also basically saying the law of non-contradiction applies everywhere but in quantum mechanics because it doesn't help your narrative, and that the findings of the SCIENCE of quantum mechanics are invalid.

He's talking about proving a negative with EASILY KNOWN information and perception of that information. Wow, he can prove a cup doesn't have a liquid in it. He's a genius!

@Piece2YourPuzzle absolute drivel. A waste of words.

@SidneyWinston It's good that you can self reflect.

Maybe we should try to prove why this god does nothing. If you believe your scriptures let us explain why Elisha's bones brought a dead man back to life. Hospitals today could work miracles if we but had Elisha's bones. Let's look for them like we try to find Noah's Ark. Yes, I know. God did things so much differently in those days. Many people raised from the dead in the OT so why was Jesus in the NT the "first fruits of the dead?" Do we think somebody might be lying here?

How about angels and their wings? Sometimes you could see their wings and sometimes not. Let's also get out of the bible and into the Koran. Do you really believe that Mohammed flew to heaven on a winged horse? Oh, yes. Any of this is possible if you have enough faith.

The above is just a small amount of ridiculousness.

If they believe in scriptures they/them/who shouldn't be on this site...

I don't HAVE a "definition" of "god." Thetefore, god, if such a definition is possible, MAY exist. Who knows?

This video pops up here 2 or 3 times per year.
And there is some flaw on its logic.
He talks about self contradictory definitions of a god or falsifiable claims.
But per definition a non falsifiable claim cannot be disproved and most of definitions of gods are carefully built to not be falsifiable. AND THAT IS WHY IT HAVE NOT MUCH VALUE WHEN YOU ARE MAKING A LOGICAL AND RATIONAL PROPOSITION.

@Antifred You are already discussing whys, powers, interests and concluding it is ridiculous.
But the question of the video is prof, not prof existance or not existance in general. It is a method discussion and not about the content.

Does not matter what entity is being proposed, if the proposal is not falsifiable, there is no way to answer the question AND for practical purposes the answer to the question should not matter because there is no consequence and you can make infinite non falsifiable claims, they all have the same value, the same impossibility to be proven right or wrong etc.

This does not mean that you must treat positive or negative answers as equivalent, but then we will be back on discussing the content and not the method.

This guy's logic is the exact reasoning which led me to reject the gods that I was raised to believe. However, I wouldn't say that he's proven that god doesn't exist. You could take every god that anyone has ever worshiped and prove each of them false but that would not prove that no god exists. I believe that the near universal creation of a god or gods by human beings indicates that there is something that actually exists that people are trying to define.

Michael Shermer discusses humans as pattern seeking brings. We also tend to seek out human faces in random patterns, and we tend to personify the inanimate such as referring to our vehicles as "he's" and "she's" rather than as "it". Imo, these human traits tend to cause humans to assign super-human traits to phenomenon not understood by other mean. It's a form of God of the Gaps, but the gaps are extremely wide - to the extent of being all encompassing.

Loved listening to this video. Thank you

All that is debunked is that a trivial and simplistic abrahamic god concept with a specific superficial definition can not be disproven.

That the moon is not made of cheese is easily proven, but that does not address the question of whether or not the moon exists.

The debunkery, as titled, is debunked.

Why do we waste time on this? Proving something is required of the claimant, not the skeptic

1of5 Level 8 June 5, 2019

@TheMiddleWay that's bullshit. I'm under no requirement to prove anyone's made up crap is made up. It's thier responsibility to provide evidence/proof for the claims they are making aren't made up..

@TheMiddleWay I agree completely with your comment, but I was wondering why you identify as agnostic and not atheist?

@TheMiddleWay I don't make the claim they don't exist, I reject thier claim, without any shred of evidence, that they do. Big difference.

That's a silly reason to be agnostic. You live like an atheist - practice no religion, give no credence to a god, attend no church - yet claim both sides are equally valid. You just seem to want your cake and be able to eat it to. There is no inherent superiority in listening to everything just because it's out there.

@TheMiddleWay I can see you put a lot of thought into this. I found a paragraph in the American Atheist website that pretty much sums up my position on the god(s) claim and is why I identify as an atheist:

“Atheism is not an affirmative belief that there is no god nor does it answer any other question about what a person believes. It is simply a rejection of the assertion that there are gods. Atheism is too often defined incorrectly as a belief system. To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.”

Frankly, I hate the idea of being strapped with a label because of someone else’s superstitious beliefs.

@TheMiddleWay @sandman07 just answered all this.

But as for the Higgs, all the evidence pointed to something, and the Higgs was the best explanation that fit into the existing (already proven) framework. That's why they kept searching for it.

@TheMiddleWay now it just appears you're talking in circles. First you say it wasn't, then that it did. It appears to me you're just replacing "most likely" with "faith". But whatever.

But this has nothing to do with the original topic. I find your disagreement with how actual atheists view and describe how we view things to be muddled and prejudiced by your own internal wishes for how it should be. Oh well.

@Donotbelieve yup. Had I noticed it was him posting I never even would have read it.

What's funny is he's basically saying his way of not following a religion is superior to everyone else's way of not following a religion. Well, funny and concieted.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:357144
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.