Agnostic.com

6 4

LINK 15 Rare Photos of Black Rosie the Riveters | Stuff Mom Never Told You

"During World War II, 600,000 African-American women entered the wartime workforce. Previously, black women's work in the United States was largely limited to domestic service and agricultural work, and wartime industries meant new and better-paying opportunities -- if they made it through the hiring process, that is. White women were the targets of the U.S. government's propaganda efforts, as embodied in the lasting and lauded image of Rosie the Riveter.Though largely ignored in America's popular history of World War II, black women's important contributions in World War II factories, which weren't always so welcoming, are stunningly captured in these comparably rare snapshots of black Rosie the Riveters."

WilliamCharles 8 June 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Great story and pics. Racism was certainly rife back then. Apparently many black GIs were billeted in southern England along with their white counterparts prior to D Day. Apparently there was little or no interaction between the black and white soldiers ( how did that work in the battlefield) but the locals welcomed them equally. There were quite a few GI brides taken back to the US but only with white soldiers. The black soldiers were not allowed to marry local girls so there were quite a few mixed race babies left behind,

I found this an interesting read.

:-----:

"In April 1944 Corp. Rupert Timmingham wrote Yank magazine. "Here is a question that each Negro soldier is asking," he began. "What is the Negro soldier fighting for? On whose team are we playing?" He recounted the difficulties he and eight other black soldiers had while traveling through the South -- "where Old Jim Crow rules" -- for a new assignment. "We could not purchase a cup of coffee," Timmingham noted. Finally the lunchroom manager at a Texas railroad depot said the black GIs could go on around back to the kitchen for a sandwich and coffee. As they did, "about two dozen German prisoners of war, with two American guards, came to the station. They entered the lunchroom, sat at the tables, had their meals served, talked, smoked, in fact had quite a swell time. I stood on the outside looking on, and I could not help but ask myself why are they treated better than we are? Why are we pushed around like cattle? If we are fighting for the same thing, if we are to die for our country, then why does the Government allow such things to go on? Some of the boys are saying that you will not print this letter. I'm saying that you will.""

@WilliamCharles Thanks for that. very interesting.

Great pics... now with the talk equal pay, I’m curious if the hourly rates were different between black and white women vs men. Historically the wage gap has been atrocious, can only hope this will soon be a thing of the past. Go Bernie.

Tomas Level 7 June 9, 2019

Go Bernie indeed.

It will be nice to turn the corner and have Dolt 45 hit the bricks.

fascinating look at history - though how much times have changed is open to debate

Nice collection of photos reminding us that everybody did their part.

I had to share this.

Very cool

bobwjr Level 10 June 9, 2019
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:358319
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.