Agnostic.com

37 5

I love reading! Anyone else? If so who are your favorite authors and what genre do you prefer?

CollegiateJules 5 Mar 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

37 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

While I love all genre of books, perhaps my favorite genre is the macabre/horroe/supernatural. 2 favorite authors are Diana Galberon and Deborah Harkness.

Little patience here for entertainment fiction but it isn't entirely excluded. My favorites are writers displaying courage and pioneering spirit in non-fiction and they include sociological, scientific and political realms more heavily.

Top ones are:

Sciences

Wilhelm Reich, M.D. - 'Ether, God and Devil, Cosmic Superimposition', 'Character Analysis', The Function of the Orgasm' and 'The Mass Psychology of Fascism'.

Arthur Koestler - 'Janus'

Eric Fromm - 'The Art of Loving' and 'Anatomy of Human Destructiveness'.

Lewis Thomas - 'Lives of a Cell'

Candace Pert - 'Molecules of Emotion'

James DeMeo, Phd., - 'Saharasia, The 4000 BCE Origins of Child Abuse, Sex-Repression, Warfare and Social Violence, In the Deserts of the Old World'

Ashley Montagu - 'Touching, the Human Significance of the Skin"

Sociology

H.L. Mencken - 'Treatise on the Gods' 'In Defense of Women' and other socially critical writings.

George Schuyler - 'Black No More'

Mark Twain - ....anything!

Christopher Hitchens - .... ditto

Political and Historical

Ilan Pappe, Phd. - 'The Ethnic Cleansiing of Palestine'

Miko Peled, - 'The General's Son'

Alice Rothchild, M.D., - 'Condition Critical'

Alison Weir - 'Against Our Better Judgment'

J.M.N. Jeffries (1939) - 'Palestine the Reality'

Rashid Khalidi - 'Brokers of Deceit'

Norman Finkelstein, Phd., - 'The Holocaust Industry' and 'Method and Madness, The Hidden Story of Israel's Assaults on Gaza'

History/Biography/ Fiction

Zora Neale Hurston - Anything!

Myron Sharaf, Phd., - 'Fury on Earth' Biography of Wilhelm Reich,, M.D.

Flavius Josephus - 'Wars of the Jews' and 'Antiquities of the Jews'

Leon Uris - 'Mila 18' fiction

Chaim A. Kaplan - 'The Warsaw Diary of Chaim A. Kaplan'

Max Dimont - 'Jews, God and History'

Ethel Waters - 'His Eye on the Sparrow' autobiography

Sophie Tucker - 'Some of these Days' autobiography

Robert Penn Warren - 'All the King's Men' fiction

Many more but special affection for these.

Ursula K. LeGuin, Nell Irvin Painter, Marilyn Frye, Elmore Leonard, Walter Mosley to name a few.

I am a voracious reader. I read both fiction and non-fiction. My favorite books are Killer Angels by Michael Shaara, Snow Falling on Cedars, The Shipping News by E Annie Proulx, I also love anything by Barbara Kingsolver, Debbie Macomber, I loved Mean Streak by Sandra Brown. Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry, Romances by LaVyrle Spencer, especially Hummingbird and The Hellion. Also by Rosamucd Pilcher and a couple of other British authors. I love Sue Grafton, Michael Connelly, and Patricia Cornwell

I would read all day every day if I could get away with it. (Well, maybe that's not true but I don't get nearly as much time to read as I'd like). I mostly like non-fiction -- books about cosmology, archeology, evolutionary biology. I like biographies if I'm interested in the person. My fiction tastes are kind of all over the place. Loved everything Anne McCaffrey wrote (by herself; some of the collaborations not so much). Love Diana Gabaldon (but no, I don't watch the Outlander series on TV). I don't generally like mysteries but just read all 13 of Louse Penny's books and loved them -- her characters are terrific. My book club gets me to read things I would otherwise not read, which is good for me.

I love historical fiction. Phillippa Gregory is a favorite. And I like the Outlander series a lot. I've also read a lot of books about JFK's murder and his presidency. I read a lot of nonfiction books, too, especially stuff on prehistoric culture and neuroscience.

I love reading non-fiction. The best book I have recently read is: David Benatar (2006). Better Never To have Been. Oxford: Clarendon Press.

Ok, I'll be bold and admit to enjoying romantic fluff... Current faves: Karen Moning, Robin D. Owens, Sky Purington, Maya Banks , G.A. Aiken, Jean Johnson, Bianca d'Arc, Sara Humphrey, Tanya Crosby.

Zster Level 8 Mar 12, 2018

Did anyone read "Fifty Shades"?

Nope. Did you? (no judgement intended. Am genuinely curious).

yes I did--interesting--not as stupid as I expected. I also saw the first movie--now that was stupid--terrible

This question is asked a lot on this website..so I'll just copy/paste from a previous answer.
This is a partial list of my favorites

1.Misha Burnett "Catskinner" novel series (fantasy, sci-fi, horror)

2.Adolfo Kaminsky: A Forger's Life, by Sarah Kaminsky. (biography)

3.Till We Have Faces, by C.S. Lewis, (fiction)

4.Harpo Speaks! by Harpo Marx (autobiography)

5.The Persian Boy, by Mary Renault (historical fiction)

6.The Glass Castle and Half Broke Horses, by Jeannette Walls (autobiography, semi-fictional biography)

7.Old Man's War series, by John Scazi..or ANY John Scalzi book (sci-fi)

8.Stranger in a Strange Land, Doorway into Summer, or most Robert A. Heinlein books (sci-fi)

9.The Harry Potter series, J.K. Rowling (she's VERY C.S. Lewis!)

10.Seabiscuit: An American Legend, by Laura Hillenbrand (historical biography)

11.and the funniest one of all!- Winterdance: The Fine Madness of Running the Iditarod, by Gary Paulson (autobiographical)

I love reading too! These days, when I'm not reading about climate dynamics and atmospheric chemistry, I'm reading manga. I read Attack on Titan and One Punch Man each month. They're sooooo good!

My favorite series is A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin. If only he'd finish writing it.

But my favorite genre is non-fiction, and I've read almost all of Carl Sagan's books.

Marz Level 7 Mar 12, 2018

Its not authors but the type of books ie true crime etc

I read a book about Ed Gein a few years back, and it fascinating as well as shocking. I also sometimes enjoy watching true crimes shows on TV.

I've read about him and got a book on him. he was one of the first documented serial killers. he was a grave robber and made soup bowls out of skull caps. I love watching ci too. it fascinates me what us humans are capable of.

Oh, haii!! Voracious reader here!
I love me some romance and I read all flavors, depending on what mood strikes or what kind of kick I'm on: paranormal, romantic suspense, friends-to-lovers, enemies-to-lovers, rockstar romance, xters with disabilities, M-M romance, other lgbtqia etc.

Have you ever read Outlander? Such a great series of books! Thanks for contributing to the post! Love the choices of genre

@CollegiateJules No, I haven't. Sounds like a historical romance title. Who's it by?

HUGE Gabaldon fan here. I nearly had kittens when they took the series to the screen AND did so rather well. "Outlander" is one of very few books that I've read repeatedly.

Sci-fi and military sci-fi are my favs.
Asimov, Drake, BOLO Series authors, Clark, Ringo.

Paolo Coelho, Rumi, Terry Pratchett, James Alexander Thom, Dave Barry, Ogden Nash, Robert W. Service, the list goes on.... Genre doesn't matter to me as long as the mind is stimulated.

There are as many answers, as there are contributors, every one valid, its good to hear that so many people are still reading so long, and thanks for all the fish !

My favorite GENRE is short stories. Garcia Marquez, Alice Munro, Joyce Carol Oates, Evan Connell, Richard Burgin.... the list could go on!

klm50 Level 3 Mar 12, 2018

My all time favorite is Garcia Marquez. After reading "100 Years of Solitude" I immediately read everything he wrote.

klm50 Level 3 Mar 12, 2018

Non-fiction (Natural Sciences, History, Social Sciences, Political Science, Economics) and Sci-Fi.

I like historical fiction, especially the work of Ken Follet. His 20th century triology is 3000 pages of awesomeness!

For me, I'm an avid reader but if I have to chose a genre it would be either fantasy or horror and my favourite authors for both categories are Anne Rice and Stephen King for horror and Marissa Meyers and George RR Martin for fantasy

I love king and rice! I am in the middle of reading the Game of Theones now

Which book are you on in the series? Or have you already finished it?

I've never read Marissa Meyers, but as I love the other authors you mentioned I will have to look into it.

Marissa Meyers is the author of the Lunar Chronicles, it's a very interesting series

Authors: Me, Hemmingway, Faulkner, Steinbeck, Asimov, Dick, Heinlein, Clarke, etc.

Genres: Hard/Soft Science Fiction, Science Fantasy, Urban Paranormal, Urban Horror, Urban Fantasy. Those are the favorites pretty much in order, but I enjoy any well written fiction and much non fiction.

My latest novel (actually a severely edited and rewritten round robin), Heaven Help Us, hopefully to be released this Fall, is an Urban Fantasy in which the main protagonist accidentally winds up in Heaven and is promptly arrested as an illegal alien.

I like autobiographies. I enjoy Carlos Castaneda; he wrote several books in the 60s. I also like Shirley Maclaine, Jon Krakauer, David Quammen, who wrote "Spillover," David Jacobs PhD

And the stars never rise, but I feel the bright eyes
Of the beautiful Annabel Lee;
And so, all the night-tide, I lie down by the side
Of my darling—my darling—my life and my bride,
In her sepulchre there by the sea—
In her tomb by the sounding sea.

"Who wants to see the Future, who ever does? A man can face the Past, but to think - the pillars crumbled, you say? And the sea empty, and the canals dry, and the maidens dead, and the flowers withered?" The Martian was silent, but then he looked ahead. "But there they are. I see them. Isn't that enough for me? They wait for me now, no matter what you say." ~Night meeting, The Martian Chronicles

Ray Bradbury.

Dear god that man scared the pants off me.

I love fantasy and mysteries. Jim Butcher,Tolkien, Charlaine Harris,Sarah Caldwell,Donna Andrews among others.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:35969
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.