Agnostic.com

37 5

I love reading! Anyone else? If so who are your favorite authors and what genre do you prefer?

CollegiateJules 5 Mar 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

37 comments (26 - 37)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My all time favorite is Garcia Marquez. After reading "100 Years of Solitude" I immediately read everything he wrote.

klm50 Level 3 Mar 12, 2018

Non-fiction (Natural Sciences, History, Social Sciences, Political Science, Economics) and Sci-Fi.

I like historical fiction, especially the work of Ken Follet. His 20th century triology is 3000 pages of awesomeness!

Favorite authors, though neither are/were what you'd call prolific: Richard Henry Dana (TWO YEARS BEFORE THE MAST ), and Robert Pirsig (ZEN AND THE ART OF MOTORCYCLE MAINTENANCE ).

Also have read a lot of James Patterson, and Dean Koontz in the past. Read most of Carlos Casteneda's works, too.

As long as you are reading I consider that awesome! I am by no means a book snob 🙂 Good choices!

@Stevil I read it for the 1st time around '76 or '77 as a requirement for a college Philosophy course. I've reread it 2 or 3 times since and get more out of it each time.

@Stevil it took me some several years, and an early career in Quality Control to really be able to understand the connection between the philosophy and the mundane act of keeping a motorcycle running.

@Stevil best reason to skip school! 😁

@Stevil ouch! Yeah, I had a couple of close calls on motorcycles myself. I quit a short while after my daughter was born for obvious reasons.

Fantasy like Cassandra Claire

I have never read her...I will have to check her out! 🙂

While I love all genre of books, perhaps my favorite genre is the macabre/horroe/supernatural. 2 favorite authors are Diana Galberon and Deborah Harkness.

This question is asked a lot on this website..so I'll just copy/paste from a previous answer.
This is a partial list of my favorites

1.Misha Burnett "Catskinner" novel series (fantasy, sci-fi, horror)

2.Adolfo Kaminsky: A Forger's Life, by Sarah Kaminsky. (biography)

3.Till We Have Faces, by C.S. Lewis, (fiction)

4.Harpo Speaks! by Harpo Marx (autobiography)

5.The Persian Boy, by Mary Renault (historical fiction)

6.The Glass Castle and Half Broke Horses, by Jeannette Walls (autobiography, semi-fictional biography)

7.Old Man's War series, by John Scazi..or ANY John Scalzi book (sci-fi)

8.Stranger in a Strange Land, Doorway into Summer, or most Robert A. Heinlein books (sci-fi)

9.The Harry Potter series, J.K. Rowling (she's VERY C.S. Lewis!)

10.Seabiscuit: An American Legend, by Laura Hillenbrand (historical biography)

11.and the funniest one of all!- Winterdance: The Fine Madness of Running the Iditarod, by Gary Paulson (autobiographical)

I love reading too! These days, when I'm not reading about climate dynamics and atmospheric chemistry, I'm reading manga. I read Attack on Titan and One Punch Man each month. They're sooooo good!

My favorite series is A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin. If only he'd finish writing it.

But my favorite genre is non-fiction, and I've read almost all of Carl Sagan's books.

Marz Level 7 Mar 12, 2018

Its not authors but the type of books ie true crime etc

I read a book about Ed Gein a few years back, and it fascinating as well as shocking. I also sometimes enjoy watching true crimes shows on TV.

I've read about him and got a book on him. he was one of the first documented serial killers. he was a grave robber and made soup bowls out of skull caps. I love watching ci too. it fascinates me what us humans are capable of.

Sci-fi and military sci-fi are my favs.
Asimov, Drake, BOLO Series authors, Clark, Ringo.

I like autobiographies. I enjoy Carlos Castaneda; he wrote several books in the 60s. I also like Shirley Maclaine, Jon Krakauer, David Quammen, who wrote "Spillover," David Jacobs PhD

Poetry. Spanish is a More Beatiful Language in any era. Any Classic Poet. Machado, Nervo, Neruda, Lorca.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:35969
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.