Agnostic.com

39 8

Why do so many men think sarcastic humor is positive?

On their dating profiles, many men say they have sarcastic humor. I noticed this in the Plenty of Fish forums, particularly with young guys who complained they got no replies.

Sarcasm is defined as: 1. Harsh or bitter derision or irony; 2. A sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remarks; 3. Bitterness, ridicule and jeer. (dictionary.com)

“Sarcasm is really just hostility disguised as humor,” said Clifford N. Lazarus, Ph.D.

“If you want to be happier and improve your relationships, cut out sarcasm," Lazarus said. "Despite smiling outwardly, most people who receive sarcastic comments feel put down and usually think the sarcastic person is a jerk.”

"Perhaps young men aspire to be like “the meathead clowns floating through the films of today,” said Linda Holmes in “Bad News, Men: You’re Not Very Charming” in The Atlantic.

Why do young men think sarcastic humor is positive? This baffles me. What are your thoughts?

*Source: “Think Sarcasm is Funny? Think Again.” by Clifford N. Lazarus, Ph.D., Think Well, June 26, 2012.

LiterateHiker 9 June 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

39 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Clifford Lazarus Said what I was gonna say... These guys say what they really think about you but couch it in humor so they can say,. "I was only kidding."

That is sometimes true.

I think the don't understand English. They probably intended to imply they had a satirical sense of humour.

Petter Level 9 June 12, 2019

Sarcasm is not clever and is always aimed as a put down. I have always regarded it as the poorest form of wit, and those who employ it to be rather insecure.

"I am only kidding"....all we have to do is look at tRump to see that it is mean, offensive, and shows true nature...humor that hurts is not humor...

I use sarcasm to insult or state the obvious or opposite...usually at a comment and not at a person...

You are spot-on. And younger or older, it is nearly always a sign of a low level of emotional maturity and lesser intellect. Not always, but often enough that the exceptions are few and noteworthy. Move on, whether as a date or a friend. Better to be by oneself.

Groucho, Pryor, Letterman, Carlin were so immature. There are plenty more, but those popped into my head first.

@Sticks48 Two things: 1) I said not always and 2) Do you think they were like that with people they cared about or wanted to get to care about them? Me thinks not.......

@Mitch07102 Sarcastic folks tend to be attracted to other sarcastic folks, whether in a friendship or a relationship, so yes they are. You thinks wrong. 🙂

@Sticks48 Fair point.

Both my wife and I are very sarcastic, but we don't aim it at each other - we use it to make fun of others. Its a bonding thing between us.

But it is negative humor, and we don't ever think it's anything but.

1of5 Level 8 June 12, 2019

I think it's something they pick up from their fathers, and older male relatives.Also, not all men are sarcastic. That sounds like a stereotype.

I read "many men" not "all men." What did you read?

Seems like a rather misandristic post. No doubt not all men do this, and not all women do not do this.

bingst Level 8 June 12, 2019

@bingst

I don't hate men. For years, I noticed this on men's dating profiles.

My alcoholic, brilliant father used sarcasm to put me down. I had years of therapy to heal from his cruel "not good enough" messages.

@LiterateHiker I got that same crap from my alcoholic father. You're lucky to have gotten therapy. I never have.

@bingst It's never too late to try it. <hug>

@BlueWave It isn't because I don't want to.

For me I would say it has to do with the conversation I'm involved in.

I notice this a lot with women too, or used to. Haven’t spent much time around most dating sites to see if they’ve kept it up but a lot of women list “fluent in sarcasm” or sarcasm is a second language. I don’t mind a lady that’s quick with sarcasm if it’s warranted, and if she’s funny/good natured about it, but generally these are probably red flags from either gender.

In short I think it’s the easiest/quickest way to fake a sense of humor, and a sense of humor is otherwise one of the harder things to fake, to demonstrate worth to a partner. As long as she’s not sarcastic about every single thing I do, it’s mostly directed at idiocy outside the relationship etc, I can appreciate some tough love/high standards if I ask or do something stupid. Most people use it as a defense mechanism though. Someone with an assortment of truly positive things to offer won’t rely on it as much.

real sarcasm IS funny. some people, not only men, think flinging any old insult is successful sarcasm. they associate being mean with being clever. they're mistaken.

g

I never thought of sarcasm as being necessarily harsh or bitter. To me it means saying the opposite of what you mean and it can be quite hilarious if done well.

Since I don’t usually cruise men’s profiles I don’t know how the numbers compare, but I see the same thing occasionally in women’s profiles and wonder why they think that’s attractive.

skado Level 9 June 12, 2019

Too many people (I'll say it seems to lean male) define their worlds by competition.

And a couple of related observations:

1. A lot of people have twisted definitions of competition. For them it's not enough to win, the other side must lose.
  2. I think a lot of the behaviour is driven by insecurity. A lot of people so lack confidence that the only way they can build themselves up is by bringing others down.

I'm afraid we live in a society mostly made up of immature (to the point of being stunted) adolescents. It's going to be a long slog working out of our situation (that is assuming we ever do).

Update: It just occurred to me that almost everyone (including me) is interpreting 'sarcasm' as denigrating others. No one even considered self-depreciating humour. We're in bad shape.

RichCC Level 8 June 12, 2019

I think it's because they see it as a sign of intelligence. And while it may take a certain level of intelligence to "get" it, it's really just exhausting if that's all you can do.

I would have thought the other way around. All the sarcastic people I know are women. My sister being the most sarcastic person I know, and she absolutely loves it! I think this is a logical falacy, like "It's snowing outside, so global warming isn't real".

As a straight man I am not seeing men's dating profiles. When I say I like sarcastic humor I have in my mind something along the lines of a Steven Colbert (or Bill Maher, or John Oliver) monologue where they verbally dismember Donald Trump. Its thoroughly enjoyable and appropriate.

Depends on how well the humor is wielded. Carlin used sarcasm like a master swordsman while Trump's attempts to use it land like a cow dropping a turd. Sarcasm is a perfectly legitimate form of communication when handled effectively. In the wrong hands, it can come off as insecure and juvenile.

Case in point, I got through this whole reply without a trace of sarcasm because these aren't the appropriate circumstances for it even though I use it frequently.

So, no, it's not inherently bad as Clifford N. Lazarus PhD might have you think.

WOW..loved all the points on here about the sarcasm,,It has given me a whole new prospective on it and what i should not be doing ,Thank you

I love sarcasm. It comes to me so naturally. There are women on this site who use sarcasm ( Ursi, Mary, Gator, Pralina ), I am sorry if I missed someone, and I find them funny and insightful. A lot of people thought Bob Hope was funny. I was not one of those people. To each his or her own. 🙂

I would only use sarcasm if being personally attacked or in reply to some particularly stupid comment. I think mild sarcasm or irony is ok though if used judiciously.

"I am fluent in sarcasm" is on many, many woman's dating profiles. Only after sampling both should one assume or assert that this is a male trait. It certainly is not.

And why is it assumed that sarcasm only occurs in young men ?

I see it as an equal opportunity trait.

I hate "meathead" humor. Despise it.

i think sarcasm can be a sign of insecurity and is best used between people who know each other well enough to get it. having said that, not getting it doesn't mean someone doesn't have a sense of humor.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:359915
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.