Agnostic.com

38 5

Bob Dylan was a great songwriter. Can't stand his singing voice.

Bob Dylan's high pitched, whiny, nasal singing is like fingernails on a blackboard to me.

The 75-year-old singer-songwriter was awarded the Nobel Prize in literature "for having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition."

That's impressive.

Anyone else feel this way?

LiterateHiker 9 June 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

38 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Try LEONARD COHEN....

"Dance me to the end of love"

"Halleluyah"

Leonard Cohen could really sing and write music. Pure genius.

@FUNandFAITHFUL

Don't like Leonard Cohen's or Tom Waits' singing, either.

@LiterateHiker Prince was another great songwriter who could really sing. He wrote a lot of songs for other artists. I think Michael Jackson wrote a lot of his songs, but I could be mistaken.

@UrsiMajor

When I was younger, I enjoyed the movie "Purple Rain" by Prince.

@LiterateHiker Kurt Cobain was a great songwriter who could really sing. Pretty sure he wrote everything Courtney Love sang for Hole before he died.

I love Cohen,,gravelly voice ,Randy Bachman Of the Guess who and Bachman Turner OverDrive ,Listen to his Radio show weekly when i am drivng at the time great song writer also

lol i love his early voice, which was no more in-tune than his later voice, after the accident (that is when it deepened) but had a fresh quality. post-accident bob is lower-pitched, maybe even less nasal -- and i like it less. but he never was about vocal talent, right? so one does look past all that.

g

He doesn't care...honest.

BD is a challenge in a lot of ways. I went to see him once and did not know it was his Holy Roller Phase. I was on crutches in the nose bleed seats. The music sucked and I limped out in the middle of it. 15 years later he was playing with GE Smith (music conductor for SNL for 20 years --blonde pony tail-- also Gilda Radnor's first husband). Smith was cutting the edges off & keeping the music moving. The result was one of the best live concerts I have ever seen in my life. Its where I fell in love with Ballad of a Thin Man. I also dated one of his cousins in Minnesota I saw family pictures so it was legit. She told me that he would mental blocks on writing simply because of the expectations of the public on his public persona. This made him more reclusive which ironically increased the mythology around his persona...for what it's worth 😉

I remember making a similar comment about BD's voice about 35 yeas ago (that it was not at all good). My interlocutor strenuously objected, which surprised me, because I thought everyone felt like I did. Now, decades later I have to say that I rather like Dylan's voice. I'm not saying its a particularly good singing voice, but it's familiar, it's real, it's good enough, and now part of my cultural heritage. I'm cool with it.

I can listen to him, but it's for his lyrics and not the quality of his voice. I think he's brilliant, but not a very good singer.

JimG Level 8 June 15, 2019

JimG

Exactly.

I’ve grown to like his awful singing voice. It seems to provide a bit of authenticity.

ME TOO!

ballad of a thin man is still my favorite

Maybe you would like Tony Bennett singing " like a rolling stone " ?

Who wouldnt?

@1of5 Probably not. Bennett singing brilliant. Dylan writing brilliant. Composite. Pleasant on the ear but miss the point via phrasing, intonation and attitude.

I mean you have to have a certain anarchic tendency to deliver a line such as “threw the bums a dime in your prime, didn’t you” and so on.

@Geoffrey51 I think you're seriously underestimating Mr. Bennett here. I'm sure the only reason he hasn't done a Dylan cover is out of courtesy, not to show Dylan up. He's a nice guy, you know.

I operate under the assumption that any cover of a Dylan song is better than Dylan's version, btw.

@1of5 this is an agree to disagree situation😉

@1of5 ...and I certainly don’t underestimate Tony Bennett👍

@1of5 I knew it was around somewhere.

Bob does Tony!

@Geoffrey51 like I'm gonna watch Bob sing anything. 🙂

I'll see your Dylan and raise you a Shatner. 🙂

@Geoffrey51 NO

@Geoffrey51, @1of5 It might be interesting .

@Besalbub No what?

@Geoffrey51 Bob singing once upon a time or William Shatner singing anything .

I can see how some people may not like his voice, for me it works.
Woody Guthrie was also good.Its a preference.

I love his music and as one who was told just to mime the words during choir practice at school I would not dare criticise his singing voice.

Yeah best songwriter ever many classics genius

bobwjr Level 10 June 15, 2019

yes! lol

bingst Level 8 June 15, 2019

I agree to some extent. I have liked most of his music. I really like Lay Lady Lay. Music and vocals.

Nashvile Skyline is a great album. Lay Lady Lay is iconic, and I love the duet with Jonny Cash on Girl From The North Country.

I can get past his voice but I can understand how it can be difficult, especially in later years. It is worth listening to his phrasing though because that can add to the lyrical effect.

Unfortunately some covers of Dylan songs become pleasant on the ear and the content and depth of lyrics gets lost as a Dylan rasp, shout or mumble becomes sanitised by a prettier sound.

I can’t think of an improved cover. Dylan’s songs go through evolutions and transformations, Rolling Stone can sound different from night to night let alone over years!

@Ms_McSteven Actually that’s a god point. I’d forgotten that. That is certainly an improved cover!

I thing the Grateful Dead version of When I Paint My Masterpiece is really worth listening to.

Couldn't agree more. He helped some other singers with their song-writing. Definitely earned his place in history. I've seen him live in concert. I went to see an obsure 80's U2 ripoff band called The Alarm.

I used to despise his nasally whine, but it has grown on me over the years.

Dylan when through many phases in both his writing and singing career, some better than others. I suggest you look into a few albums which I think hes best at... Probably never heard of Planet Waves, or New Morning where he is quite melodic, but on Nashville Skyline he positively croons.

Try kris kristofferson for great musical stories that you can actually hear the words!

Did you know you can imitate his singing voice by sticking a clothes-pin on your nose?

Great poetry - sung extremely well by many, but not by Bob

I think there is a huge difference between a "singer" and a singer/songwriter. When I think of the great singers of my time ( I am not into opera, so I pass on that), I think of Barbara Streisand, Whitney Houston, and Adele. Barbara and Whitney picked and sang other peoples songs. Their craft, their instrument was their voice. And indeed they have a great voice.

A singer songwriter is so much more. They create the work, the story, the lines, the rhythms. All of it and they tell it in a way no one else can tell it, because its their story. One of my favorite Bob Dylan songs is all along the watchtower. It was covered by both Jimmi Hendrix and Dave Matthews. Both have better voices, and Both have better bands. But they couldn't and didn't create it.

Bob Dylan wrote Wagon Wheel, he didnt even publish it. Old Crow medicine Show did, they added more verses and it is virtually a state song in NC.

Bob Dylan music has never been about his voice, its about his songs.

I know what you mean. I agree.

tioteo Level 8 June 16, 2019

Somebody who agrees with you:

Corden Level 5 June 16, 2019

@Cordon

Hilarious! I love the huffing, wheezing harmonica Rich Hall played. Great parody.

"His voice was so shrill it set of my car alarm."

"Makeup on his face looked like pancake batter."

"Huffing and a puffin' on harmonica like he was losing a lung."

Yet, you don't see anybody looking to Rich Hall for inspiration or as an exemplary example of his craft.

People do that with Dylan.

We're talking about Dylan, and the only reason anybody remembers Rich Hall at all is because somebody posted this video.

@MattChanning1

Calm down. I am a musician.

Bob Dylan's shrill, nasal, whiny singing and harmonica hurt my ears.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

@LiterateHiker Never ever tell somebody to calm down. It's condescending and dismissive. You have no way of knowing what my state actually is.

I am also a musician. That doesn't necessarily make an opinion worth much in and of itself.

And if the only thing one can say about an opinion is that it's theirs and that they're entitled to it, then it's an opinion without merit.

@MattChanning1

I think you'll be surprised, Rich is a very good comedian. I suggest you watch his "Hell no I ain't happy" routine which was done live at the Apollo, in '09- highly entertaining. I doubt that he'll go down in history only because somebody posted a video.

I'm not a musician, so I am unable to comment on the Dylan phenomenon. It does seem that the Dylan worship is strong in the US. Personally I find the fascination with him a little strange. I enjoy the lyrics to Masters of War immensely, but I find his voice to be a little too shrill. I think Rich aptly pointed that out. Then again, I did enjoy the work of the Travelling Wilburys.

"We're talking about Dylan", yes, and in thirty, fourty, fifty years he will be another memory and very few people will actually remember him for anything he did. He's no Shakespeare...

It's all ephemeral...

Bob Dylan IS a great songwriter. There. Fixed that for you.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:361075
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.