Agnostic.com

4 6

LINK What Michelle Obama Taught Us About Becoming More Than Just Somebody's Wife - xoNecole

When I was growing up, I was told my goal should be to get married. Dad told me there was no reason to teach me how to fix the car or stuff in the house because I'd have a husband who would do it. My (now ex) husband's family never did their own repairs, they hired people to do that stuff. My ex had NO IDEA how to fix anything... I taught my girls that they needed to know how to do stuff and how to have their own lives. One of my girls works as a carpenter and can fix lots of stuff. None of them are dependent upon their husbands/boyfriends for anything. (Yeah, the cars do get taken to the shop...)

HippieChick58 9 June 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Good 👍

bobwjr Level 10 June 16, 2019

Michelle shared the idea that to fix anything, immaterial of material, one needs to share one's story, and not think others will change, but accept them as they are, and to make oneself a priority and then change oneself.

Good for you, everyone, male or female should be able to take care of themselves.

My dad taught me to be very independent and to count on either doing things for myself or knowing how to get it done, ie. call a plumber, mechanic, etc. I knew how to do a lot of things, but did not always want to do it...change oil, cook...I knew when I got married, I wanted someone just as independent...a person who could do his own laundry, cook, pay the bills...

We look at it like this: If we were single, we would have to do or get the things done all by ourselves anyway....but as a couple, the work is split in half...non-traditional in many ways, since he cooks, shops and cleans and I pay the bills, work, and research most of the major decisions...but it works...

Michelle Obama was a strong and equal partner in her marriage...I admired her for not being perfect but for being open about the struggles all relationships go through.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:361596
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.