Agnostic.com

3 5

Healthy Date Bars Recipe

At book club today, everyone loved the food I made, especially the date bars! Nothing left but crumbs.

They nailed the Rainier cherries picked yesterday. Also loved the chewy-gooey brownies and Chicken-Vegetable-Pasta salad.

Date bars were the star of the show.

Date Bars - Cooking Light

Filling:

1-1/2 cups chopped dates (12 large dates, preferably Medjool)
3/4 cup water
1-1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract

Crust and topping:

1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup whole wheat flour (I use whole wheat pastry flour)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
Pinch of salt

5 tablespoons chilled light butter (I use regular unsalted butter)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8-inch square pan with nonstick cooking spray.

2. To make the filling, combine dates and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover. Simmer until the water is absorbed (about 20 minutes.) Mash dates until smooth.

3. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and almond extracts. To prevent a soggy crust, cool the date mixture to room temperature.

4. To make the crust and topping: combine dry ingredients in a food processor. Pulse until mixed. Shred butter with a cheese grater and add to oat mixture. Pulse until crumbly.

5. To assemble, put half of the crust mixture in prepared pan and press with fingertips into a thin, smooth layer. Spoon date filling on top. Gently smooth evenly with the tip of a rubber spatula. Add remaining oat mixture and gently press on top of date mixture.

6. Bake 22-25 minutes or until browned lightly around the edges. Let cool completely. Cut into squares and serve.

Per serving: 150 calories; 2.9 grams fat; 6 mg cholesterol.

LiterateHiker 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Ditto

I think they go for your faboulous food,,book club is just an excuse to get out 🙂

@RoyMillar

We rotate the responsibility. Sometimes people bring crackers, cheese and white cake from a grocery store. Blech.

"You make me feel terrible," Dana joked. "You even grow your own Italian parsley! I feel like a real slouch." I laughed.

My hiking partner Karen and I were supposed to do the snack together. But she was called away for a family emergency at the last minute. It was on my shoulders.

"Should I bring my tofu?" Karen asked earlier. She's a vegan.

"Sure," I replied, humoring her, knowing Karen is the only person who eats it.

sounds like you have a great time there with your friends , a very enjoyable outing

@RoyMillar

My foot is still in a stiff medical boot (broken toe). Can't walk downstairs without stepping sideways, holding the railing. The boot sole is slippery.

So, I asked people to carry the large, heavy ceramic bowl of Chicken-Pasta-Vegetable salad up and downstairs. Corralled two young girls who were entering the library. They were great.

@literateHiker That is wonderful you have so many friends to help,,certainly hope your foot heals quicker than expected.I know you have to be so careful as to not re injure it,,It is so tempting to get out and do things your not suppose to

That looks easy enough for me to try! Always looking for something to bring to beach parties with mostly health conscious folks. Gotta save it for a cooler day when I don't mind turning my oven on for 22-25 minutes!

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:363164
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.