Agnostic.com

26 10

LINK Alabama governor signs law allowing church to have its own police force

GTFOH!!! God appointed and approved? This could become a modern day inquisition. Soon there will be people executed for heresy! Where's that thing known as faith?

IAJO163 8 June 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

26 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

New on TNT! Law and Order: Presbyterian Unit

Hilarious! Good one! Who would star?

@IAJO163 not sure, but I think Dana Carvey should make a couple cameos

This will get its own reality show on Fox Network within a year -- Christ Cops. They combat sin with the power of prayer... and guns.

Cuz prayer doesn't always work.

Or ever.

I have to say if I was a child in a school and a dude with a gun was telling me I had to believe in Jesus, I probably would. lol

@greyeyed123 That would be in keeping with the Christ Cops motto: "Believe...or else."

This is scary especially for women. Hand Maids Tale.

Aren't churches places where crimes are not committed?
Oh, wait, I forgot about the Roman Catholic priest sex abuse scandal.

Don't forget about the inquisition.😉

My Northern California hometown attracted an evangelical Christian church that built a huge church campus and a college, and they are now paying for a city cop’s salary and have a seat on the city government. It’s awful.

UUNJ Level 8 June 21, 2019

This is so bad its funny. I mean scary funny. You know those Alabamans , they got their hate down. Blacks, Jews, Catholics, Immigrants, Gays. SECULAR HUMANIST OH MY. The christian PO PO gonna get you. Avoid Alabama at all costs. Mississippi too.

It’s hard to avoid since I was born here.

Are you absolutely sure that North Carolina is any better?

@WilliamFleming yes Raleigh and Charlotte and Adheville are much better.

Knights Templar 😬

We could form an assassin's creed of our own,eh?

No shit bible belt politics like Isis

bobwjr Level 10 June 21, 2019

Too late. It's already here.

Wow. My thoughts are heading off in all sorts of directions.

Are the church patrons so unruly that security guards reporting crimes to police can't keep up?
Are the current police so incompetent that they can't do the job?
Will this new force by made up of mercenaries (maybe Blackwater is available)?
How will the new force be armed?
Who will pay for this?
Will they be state subsidized (as the current police are)?

This strikes me as the sort of horrible idea that could only come in the American South. It's shocking and disappointing. I wish I were more surprised.

Update Added: Will they have private insurance for the inevitable lawsuits?
Will they be minority neutral (as if the current police are)(maybe they'll use the KKK rather than Blackwater)?
Will their jail be humane (with toothbrushes, soap and beds?)
Who will be their judiciary?
Wow again.

Update Two: I changed 'racially neutral' to 'minority neutral' above. I bet their culture discriminates against lots of different folks.

RichCC Level 8 June 21, 2019

There's an academy on the church campus with 2000 students. It's understandable that they might want security but why a dedicated police force?

@vertrauen It may be an intimidation tactic to keep people in the church, or intimidate members with authoritarian tactics.

They are combining two fears. Active school shootings and synagogue shootings. If they increase their African American membership then they could also cover church burnings.

Sounds similar to the Brigham Young University police who are scheduled to be decertified in September because of problems surrounding their handling of rapes on campus.

Sharia law under different name?

First you had Amish mafia, now it's pentecostal police. Hopes and prayers were not enough to protect everyone? Go figure.

I gues they're not as dumb as we think. They're taking action to protect themselves, proving how shallow their faith in god is.

@IAJO163 Maybe they'll have magical bullets that only destroy unbelievers.

It’s not Pentecostal, it’s Presbyterian.

Them Presbyterians are a vicious lot, known for their goal to establish a worldwide theocracy. The first step will be to shoot all the Baptists and Methodists once they get their police force.

I hope they have a very large liability insurance policy.

In Germany up until the 30's Universities could also police its students. It got out of hand and had to be abandoned as being unworkable. So would this mean child pedophiles and sexual miscreants won't have to face a non-church trial? Things like this are why so many people are leaving churches.

Pentecostal cops with guns? Scarey!

Phewwww

Oh, yeah because you just need more guns in America.

I know this is crazy but it goes into ideas of protection so as to NOT be shot and killed in your church. My religious friend is now going to a Baptist church in Missouri that has secret armed but not known members in case of some crazy coming in to kill you. This has happened before in black churches and Muslim groups, so these local Baptists are making sure they can protect themselves.

I thought that was god's job? What happened to faith? Lack of makes religion a farce.

Are they to be armed?

Purportedly.

Normally I'm very skeptical about everything i read on the internet but this wouldn't surprise me one bit if it turned out to be true

About time. I'm goin' to claim my right to a baptist church. Who wants to be dressed in blue, carry a gun, and shoot heathen on sight?

JacarC Level 8 June 21, 2019

Oh shit, i bet they go easy on child rapists! Can us atheists have a police force too?!

"There's another dead bishop on the landing, Vicar Sergeant!"
"Ah, Detective Parson, madam!"

Full Church Police sketch below but you have to wait a tad through Little Red Riding Hood.

With 1.5 crimes per citizen, Vatican City is said to have the highest crime rate in the world. But before you cancel your trip, it’s important to note that the majority of crime that occurs here is petty theft. Given the large tourist crowds, Vatican City is a pickpocket and purse-snatcher’s paradise. Some argue the rate is high because it does not have a long-term prison. That’s not to say there are no major crimes. In 2007, the Vatican had its first drug-related crime, after a Holy See employee was found in possession of cocaine. And in 1998, a newly appointed commander of the Pope’s Swiss Guard and his wife were murdered in their apartment. So much for a church-based police force...

Yeah, this shouldn't be allowed, and that governor should be impeached. The Establishment Clause of the First Amendment prohibits government from making any law respecting an establishment of religion.

At least two Justices would disagree. Clarence Thomas does not think that applies at the state level.

@Rob1948 Good for them.

@Piece2YourPuzzle So, you agree that separation of church and state should not apply at the state level? That it would be all right for Alabama to establish a Christian sect as the state religion for Alabama?

@Rob1948 No, I do not. My "good for them" comment was sarcasm. I don't know how your logic goes from reading my initial post to thinking I am ok with the separation of church of state not applying at the state level.

@Piece2YourPuzzle It’s why I asked. Would you rather I blast you for idiocy? I didn’t know if you had read what said correctly. Besides, you forgot to use the sarcasm font.

What if they secede?

@Rob1948 Listen, you really need to think before you type.

@IAJO163 When does that ever work?

@Piece2YourPuzzle really? That’s the best you can do. You made two contradictory statements and you want us to guess what you meant? Then criticize someone for asking what you meant.

You need to develop manners.

@Rob1948 "Would you rather I blast you for idiocy?"

That's what you call manners? Anyone with common sense knew my stance from my initial post.

@Piece2YourPuzzle

Insult?

It’s a question.

A question you are taking out of context.

@Rob1948 As is always the case when someone is talking about what you say, huh?

@Piece2YourPuzzle more snark from you. What a surprise. Why don’t you quit making snarky little comments directed at me personally. You’ve made several in this and other threads. It’s really unbecoming behavior on your part.

@Rob1948

Snark?

It's a question.

A question you are taking out of context.

See how that works?

@Piece2YourPuzzle a question that has absolutely nothing to do with the subject of this post. It’s a question you fabricated with the intent of embarrassing me. It has no other purpose. Just as your last comment is intended, by twisting my words to make you look smart.

Have a nice day.

@Rob1948 Don't be a hypocrite. It's really unbecoming behavior on your part.

@Piece2YourPuzzle So, is that all you can do... act like a parrot and play games with semantics?

@Rob1948 I learned it from you 🙂

@Piece2YourPuzzle not very well, apparently.

@Rob1948 Apparently, I did learn it very well for it to be encompassing you this much. Thanks for the entertainment, but I have to go do something more enjoyable, like walk on nails.

@Piece2YourPuzzle and on that insult, it sounds good to me. Hope they aren’t rusty.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:363797
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.