Agnostic.com

24 2

Easter

Easter plans with relatives anyone?

JVee 4 Mar 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

24 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The little ones get baskets. We eat. It's just another food holiday.
Nothing more.

I absolutely love this Eddie Izzard video. Me and my kids would watch it all the time! Cake or Death??

@stomato I just posted that clip a little bit ago!

Easter is on April Fools day, so maybe I'll just tell them I'll meet them in church

Smoke a little weed, eat some candy, and pet a bunny rabbit. Party over!

Instead of easter, I celebrate spring with a home cooked dinner with friends. You're all invited. Time and date to be announced r.s.v.p greatly appreciated.

Chocolate Day. Yumm! 🙂

Betty Level 8 Mar 13, 2018

Yep. Pretty much every year do easter with my aunt. She's a believer but not pushy about it and we don't say grace or anything like that. To me it's like xmas: just another day to hang out with relatives and eat well.

I don't originate from a faith tradition that ever did all that much about Easter other than maybe a sunrise service and an extra big sunday dinner. We certainly didn't have the buildup to it like the Catholics with Ash Wednesday and so forth either. So these days, after a quarter century of godlessness, I barely register that it comes or goes.

No. Work is closed on Good Friday as it's a sort of bank holiday in the UK, and Easter Sunday is just another Sunday but there'll be some chocolate, which as far as I'm aware while tasting divine isn't actually divine in origin, but that's about it 🙂

That's the day Jesus comes out of his tomb. If he sees his shadow, six more weeks of persecution.

Lololololololololol...only to exchange chocolate bunnies with my son and Peeps for my brother.

Probably plan an egg hunt or scavenger hunt for the kiddos at work.

Nope. Easter with friends.

It's the first weekend of the UK drag racing season. 🙂 🙂

Not yet but hoping my sister in law invites me to eat

Not sure, usually my kids, but depends on if they are working or have other plans. Traffic here is so bad over Easter, it is best not to travel, too many tourists out and about.

Kids are all adults now and often busy. I usually send the some chocolate.

Only did Easter with my ex's family for my daughter.

Did Jesus Rise From the DEAD?
Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence.
What is the evidence for the resurrection of Jesus? An empty tomb story and questionable post mortem occurrences?
If a body is missing from a tomb, do we assume that the corpse has resurrected? Or do we try and discover who moved the corpse?
There are many possible explanations of why the corpse was moved. Ask me if you can't think of any. But Matthew's gospel appears to close the "loophole" with the guards on the tomb. But the guards on the tomb story is most certainly fiction. We have four gospel writers telling the same tale and yet only Matthew mentions guards. The guards are so important to the tale, that if it were true the other gospel writers would most certainly have mentioned the guards.
But Matthew didn't close the loophole tight enough with his guards on the tomb fiction.
Matthew 27:62-66 (New American Standard Bible)
62Now on the next day, [day in the Greek means daylight hours] the day after the preparation, the chief priests and the Pharisees gathered together with Pilate,
63and said, "Sir, we remember that when He was still alive that deceiver said, 'After three days I am to rise again.'
64"Therefore, give orders for the grave to be made secure until the third day, otherwise His disciples may come and steal Him away and say to the people, 'He has risen from the dead,' and the last deception will be worse than the first."
65Pilate said to them, "You have a guard; go, make it as secure as you know how."
66And they went and made the grave secure, and along with the guard they set a seal on the stone.
So you see that Jesus' corpse was placed in the tomb, and the NEXT DAY, during daylight hours, the chief priests and the Pharisees gathered together with Pilate, and requested a guard be placed on the tomb. THE FIRST NIGHT THE CORPSE WAS IN THE TOMB THE TOMB WAS UNGUARDED. Anyone could have opened the tomb, removed the corpse, and closed the tomb to conceal the fact that the tomb was now empty.
So the empty tomb story proves nothing.
But what about those that saw Jesus post mortem?
We have Mary Magdalene.
Mark 16:9 (New American Standard Bible)
9Now after He had risen early on the first day of the week, He first appeared to Mary Magdalene, from whom He had cast out seven demons. [See also Luke 8:2]
I would expect that any woman with seven demons would be considered a crazy woman mentally ill in today's world. Jesus may have calmed her down so she appeared normal.[cured] But most likely the shock of Jesus' sudden death and the loss of his soothing words may have pushed her back into a state of delusion. In any event she was not a competent witness. But what about those 500 brethren who all saw Jesus at the same time post mortem according to Paul? This fiction is ridiculous. Did someone rent out a "Hall," and invite 500 brethren to all come at the same time to see Jesus? I am certain that this is Paul's fiction since Jesus only had 120 followers in the upper room on Pentecost when they all received the Holy Spirit.
What about Jesus' Apostles?
Matthew 28:16-17 (New American Standard Bible)
16But the eleven disciples proceeded to Galilee, to the mountain which Jesus had designated.
17When they saw Him, they worshiped Him; but some were doubtful.
This is an amazing Scripture passage. Here we have 11 men who lived with Jesus several years, they see Jesus post mortem and some of them have doubt?
I have my own theory of how the Jesus resurrection story started with the Apostles. Many were fishermen, probably others were laborers of some kind. Fishing in those days was hard work. But when they traveled with Jesus they got used to the soft life. They preached, and passed around the baskets, and didn't have to row boats and pull nets out of the sea.
After Jesus died they went back to their old hard life.
John 21:3 (New American Standard Bible)
3Simon Peter said to them, "I am going fishing." They said to him, "We will also come with you." They went out and got into the boat; and that night they caught nothing.
They fish, they catch nothing, but then one disciple thinks he sees Jesus on the shore.
John 21:7 (New American Standard Bible)
7Therefore that disciple whom Jesus loved said to Peter, "It is the Lord." So when Simon Peter heard that it was the Lord, he put his outer garment on (for he was stripped for work), and threw himself into the sea.
Notice that Peter does not recognize Jesus. He "heard that it was the Lord." It is just some stranger on the shore, but at that moment Peter realizes that if Jesus were alive they could all go back to the soft evangelists life and to Hell with the hard fisherman's life.
It is interesting that post mortem, Jesus only shows himself to his own followers. He promised the high Priest and his entourage that they would see him. [Mark 14:62] But they never did.
Jesus promised his evil and adulterous generation that they would see him post mortem, [Matthew 12:39-40] but they never did.
If the Scientologists claimed that L Ron Hubbard resurrected, came to their conference, and then went to Heaven, would you believe them? So how can we believe a story when only Jesus' followers are the witnesses?
We have an extraordinary claim that Jesus rose from the dead, but the evidence for the claim is very poor.
​If you read this far let me know ...please

I want you so what . What can I do easter?

Usually hide plastic eggs outside for my son and friends and end up finding them all summer and throughout fall. Lol

Isn't it quite ironic that Easter, 2018 actually occurs on April Fools Day?
Odds on that the 'Faithfools'everywhere haven't realised this one as yet.

Easter = a religious plagiarism of even older and more ancient rites and rituals.
IF, and that is a VERY Massive IF, there even was a Crucifixion then WHY is it that there is absolutely NO specific date upon which it occurred and thus celebrated every year?

The day when you go into jewish and islamic worship places and smash stuff because they kill animals (kosher/halal)?

If you really smash stuff you are discrediting your cause rather than furthering it. You are just another hate crime.

@dharkless i don't use the verb to be or label or accuse or project. i see 2 cultures killing animals and i reference that a historical figure came into their places and over turned some tables , not smashed i suppose to disagree with the slavery rape and murder.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:36462
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.