Agnostic.com

25 3

Have you ever had a partner in a relationship leave you for god/religion?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

25 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No but I've had a few leave religion for me! 😛

Ummm....Damn!!!

I can understand why that would happen.

Yes!! Ugh, I was dating a girl and she ultimately said one of the biggest negatives in our relationship was that I didn't believe in god. She was christian and so much so that she felt guilty for even dating a girl. She herself thought same-sex relationships were wrong. Like wtf?? lol So I said bye! I'm not about to argue with that one. Funny thing is, I was really good to her and months later she wanted me back. No thanks!! haha! Great question!

Certainly her loss 😉

My (now) ex-wife wanted me to have a “personal relationship with Jesus”.

I’m unwilling to lie and pretend I believe in that nonsense.

I was asked if I had a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. I said "No, I'm not gay."

I wish! That would have been one useful accomplishment of religion.

Lol

Yes. We had been dating for about three months before religion came up. I usually don't bring it up first. Living in rural northeast Alabama it's just a given that you're dating a Christian.
So one Sunday morning after I had spent the night on Saturday she asked me if I wanted to go to church with her. When I explained I was a card carrying atheist, she asked me to leave and never come back.

damn !

That was very cold and bigoted!!! Shame on her.

I recently got divorced over the issue. I have my degree in religion, but I am atheist. My now ex wife became a huge fan of new age spirituality, and it became a divisive force in our relationship. I am not innocent in the situation. She knew the first day we met that I was atheist, and fairly knowledgeable on topics of religion and spirituality, but I was not supportive at all.

She would tell me she saw a ghost, or had a psychic dream, and I didn't have the best responses. I would try and be polite, and just say, "that's nice." She would say I don't believe her, but of course I don't believe her. But she equated that with me calling her a liar. Then I would offer alternate possibilites, or ask difficult questions regarding the repercussions if her claims were correct, which she did not like.

She would say she accepts my views, so why can't I accept hers? The problem with that is people are unaware that some things are incompatible. She cannot really accept my views and then actually expect me to accept hers, since by definition, I do not believe in what she believes. I can respect her as a person, but I cannot respect her views.

Anyways, I have mental health issues, so adding ghosts, fatalistic premonitons of a future that hasn't yet happened, and things of the sort really was worstening my condition. I told her if this was truly important to her, then I do not think we can continue together. She said, "You are asking me to choose between you and God?" I said essentially yes. I am here for you, I love you, and I treat you like my goddess. You are the world to me. I do not need a deity. I would hope that you and I could have that dedication to one another.

Unfortunately, God was too important. I wish I could have been okay with her pursuing her own spiritual path, but it was something so opposite of who I am at my core. It exacerbated my anxiety. Boiled down, it appears to many that I was trying to force my beliefs upon her, and that is what ruined the marriage. There is some truth to that I guess, but I entered the marriage being fully honest about my disdain for religion and spirituality. I do not force the issue with ANYONE though. I do not try to convert people. I think people should be free to do as they please. However, for me, I need my partner and I to be on the same page. We have shared living space, so I would like for us to live in the same plane of reality as well.

I hope she is happy and finding what she looked for. I hope I can find a woman to share my life with who has similar ideas to me. I know some people make interfaith relationship works, but it does not seem suitable for me.

Yes, my ex and I divorced because I wasn't religious enough for the Church of Christ. I just didn't live up to his standards, and instead, lived my life as a Heathen!

Religious people are so severely brainwashed they never give up religion. I was married 20 years to a religious person and my marriage failed. She went back to the church and found herself a religious man I guess.

We are the Borg; your technological and biological distictiveness will be added to ours. Resistence is Futile.

You will be assimilated.

Yes, twenty years ago, my husband announced that he was leaving me because he had to wash the dishes twice in a row, and I didn't believe in god.

I've been on both sides. She left me for religion. I left another because she was to religious, she got to where she demanded I go to services with her. Not happening, good bye.

No. But, if that was their choice then good riddance!

Not exactly for god or religion, but with definitely women i had been interested in way back years ago religion was a problem, cause i had a problem with it, recently a person i worked with

A person i used to work with, i know she still is somewhat religious and i told her look im not into religion , she said what do you mean Catholics?, i replied all religions that are orangnized, i don't see eye to eye with them

No, but I once knew a girl that was really sweet and pretty. We were friends, but not close close friends. She was super religious supposedly. She didn't like cursing. She always referenced God. I would have dated her if it wasn't for all that. I might have dated her regardless of that lol. It just never came about. One time she told me that if she wasn't in a relationship in a few years that she wanted to have kids with me. Well thanks for that "compliment" lol. I don't know if she was serious or not. It was insulting anyway.

I’ve been rejected by a Catholic

Yes, among other things..

It happened to me and was very painful. I haven't forgotten even after fifty years.

No, they just try and convert me.

"I don't want to be with someone that I won't get to spend enternity in Heaven with." Yep, That sounds familiar.

No, I have not. My wife is religious. The key is to just respect each other's beliefs. We debate the topic on occasion. I just give my point of view without getting nasty.

Nuke Level 5 Mar 14, 2018

Never thank someone.

Nah, they all left for legitimate reasons.

No. I don’t as normally the corrupter. Lol

I left them, they were too christian. I respected her religion and her beliefs and she respected mine. The problem was that she would incoperate biblical texts into what we were able to do and not. So, I left her

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:36562
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.