Agnostic.com

2 3

LINK At Long Last, Greece Will Finally Get Rid of Its Blasphemy Laws | Hemant Mehta | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

FTA: Malicious Blasphemy: 1. One who publicly and maliciously and by any means blasphemes God shall be punished by imprisonment for not more than two years. 2. Except for cases under paragraph 1, one who by blasphemy publicly manifests a lack of respect for the divinity, shall be punished by jailing for not more than six months or by pecuniary penalty of not more than 3,000 euros.

<strong>Blasphemy</strong> Concerning Religions: One who publicly and maliciously and by any means blasphemes the Eastern Orthodox Church of Christ or any other religion tolerated in Greece shall be punished by imprisonment for not more than two years.”

But in a rewrite of the country’s criminal code, scheduled to go into effect on July 1, those blasphemy laws are nowhere to be found. In addition, oaths of affirmation, like the kind you take in the courtroom, have been rewritten in a secular way. No more “So help me God” in their version of the oath.

zblaze 7 June 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Updating is needed around the worId. I was blown away when I learned that the Monty Python crew was indited in England for blasphemy. This was after the release of their movie, The Life of Brian. I don't believe it ever went to court. It was certainly an outdated law in a country that is at least half non-religious and declared the inquisition over with in 1833.

MrDMC Level 7 June 26, 2019

blasphmies laws were finally abolished in 2003. also it wasnt that long ago when shops couldnt open on a sunday. you know cause god rested.

im talking about uk. sorry forgot.

Great! Now if Massachusetts would follow suit I’d breath a lot easier.

[malegislature.gov]

Hey Massachusetts
Section 36. Whoever wilfully blasphemes the fucking holy name of the shitty God by denying, cursing or contumeliously reproaching that shitty God, his putative creation, fucked up government or dream of a final judging of the world, or by cursing (Oh, fuck, I am scared!) or contumeliously reproaching Jesus the son of a bastard Christ or the Holy Fucking Ghost, or by cursing like hell or contumeliously reproaching bull shit or exposing to contempt and ridicule, the holey word of that bullshitter in the sky God contained in the holey scriptures shall be punished by imprisonment in jail for not more than one year or by a fine of not more than three hundred dollars, and may also be bound to good behavior and probably be raped by the priest that comes to visit him.

I had no idea it is still 'on the books' in this country. Wow

Section 36: Blasphemy

Section 36. Whoever wilfully blasphemes the holy name of God by denying, cursing or contumeliously reproaching God, his creation, government or final judging of the world, or by cursing or contumeliously reproaching Jesus Christ or the Holy Ghost, or by cursing or contumeliously reproaching or exposing to contempt and ridicule, the holy word of God contained in the holy scriptures shall be punished by imprisonment in jail for not more than one year or by a fine of not more than three hundred dollars, and may also be bound to good behavior.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:365622
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.