Agnostic.com

68 4

What type of death do you most fear?

Death by fire or death by drowning are my two biggest fears. Believe it or not being eaten alive is scary but not my #1fear. When I'm dead I want to be eaten. Give back something to the Earth for all I have taken.

paul1967 8 Sep 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

68 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Being reduced to a state of physical inability to care for myself, mind still intact.

I had a close friend who was a quadriplegic, and he died a slow and painful death. His mind was sharp as ever. This also is my fear....

dying alone and forgotten

Being the fattest survivor of an airplane crash on a desert island as everyone turns to cannibalism

Lmao!

Ooh, good question! Drowning is certainly scary — panic sets in pretty fast when you can't get oxygen — but it's a relatively quick death. Fire seems like it would hurt a lot, but I've heard that most people in a fire die from smoke inhalation long before the flames reach them (though being burned at the stake would be a different matter). I think cancer would top my list, because you don't pass out from the pain, it's long and drawn out, and you have to think about it day after day while enduring exhaustion and increasing pain, and eventually organ failure. And you watch those around you, with pitying eyes, experience your decline, grieving for you before you've even died, doing everything for you as you get sicker, weaker, and more delirious, even resenting you for putting them through the ordeal. That's what scares me. If I ever have an incurable wasting disease, I'll end my own life long before I become too sick and a serious burden on my loved ones.

I agree, Resserts I'd end my life before putting my family through hell.

Oh, I don't know....I have terminal cancer, and it's not too bad--yet. The medications I'm on do a pretty good job of controlling symptoms. I am still able to function normally, and people who find out I have cancer are always surprised, because I don't look like it--yet, lol.

When it gets to the point where nothing works anymore, the doctor has already said painkillers will be available to keep me comfortable. And my daughter is a hospice nurse, so that works out pretty well. We have it all worked out to cause the least burden for everyone.

btw, when I was diagnosed, they gave me 2-3 years to live....that was in July 2014, so it's been 3 1/2 years already. I'm shooting for 2020; I'll see how close I get.

An added benefit to this long death is that my loved ones and I can prepare emotionally and financially, and say everything we want to say to each other. I'm glad I can give them this closure.

A long, painful, torturous death that involves mutilation, burning, suffocation, etc. Other than that, I don't fear death- I only fear it will be slow and painful. Also, a terminal disease would be on the list.

A long a painful death.

I hear drowning is considered a good way to go, but I think if I had a choice how I died it wouldn't be by drowning. I don't really fear death, I just fear not living my life to the full and enjoying every moment for what it is.

A forgotten one.

Not something I think about too much and to be honest I'm not planning on thinking about it, enjoy your fear!

I don't fear a natural death, I look forward to it because I have never done it before and it is a once in a lifetime experience but saying that, I am in no hurry for it to arrive, I still have plenty of living still to do.
The type of death that I fear is a death caused by some knob head who cares about nobody but themselves, a drunk driver, an armed criminal, accidental death whilst at work (my elder brother died this way in 1978 when he was crushed by a train).
Death is inevitable and after a long life, it will be welcome.

Oh gosh, Meister , that's terrible about your brother!!! I'm so sorry!

I love food, so I would definitely not want to starve to death.

Dying totally unexpectedly with the rest of my life ahead of me and my last thought being, "But I had so much left to do..."

Mouth of a shark......

falling into a industrial size chipper shredder would not be fun

Any death that doesn't come when I am sleeping.

long lingering time of being useless

Maybe I'm weird but I think drowning sounds kind of peaceful. I mean it would have to be a big body of water and I'm sure there would be a moment of panic. Anyway, I agree with everyone....slow and painful. I also fear dying of Alzheimer's. In runs in my family on both sides. It's not the death I fear but being a burden on my family.

Mindi Level 3 Oct 27, 2017

Drowning could take several minutes though. My mom and grandma had Alzheimers, and whenever I forget something, I start to worry.

I think the body's panic reaction would probably make drowning extremely painful. Stroke would be painless and quick. If self inflicted insulin OD might be an easy way out.

Slow painful would much rather just pass.

I just heard the news today of a local fishing boat with a crew of 7 on board that I knew well, that capsized in heavy weather and sank with only one lad escaping, the rest probably trapped in the vessel as it went down, This to me would be one of the worst ways to die, a slow suffocation trapped and unable to escape.

I'm sorry for the loss of your friends

So sorry, too! Yes, that's a terrible way to die!

I fear dying alone.

Everyone dies alone. Even surrounded by loved ones you are the only one passing

A long drawn out, painful death or being physically incapacitated but mentally alert (locked in syndrome).

I fear being killed by a bible believing religious fanatic. Be it a Christian, Jew, Muslim, or any other person who believes in a higher power. A true bible follower to be sure. That would be my most horrible death. Thou shall not kill...what a joke!

LMAO

I am not afraid of death , I fear living more than dying . I jumped in the mississippi river when I was younger , I was pretty drunk and the current was very strong . I remember going under 6 or 7 times and the last time i went under I was exhausted and knew it was going to die. Instead of panicing I felt a calmness come over me and In the instant I knew It was going to be ok . I had accepted my fate. Then I was pulled from the water and half pulled up onto a small boat By people that saw me jump in and they launched thier boat and pulled me out as I was was ready to sink and not come back up. Looking back on it now i feel like i was cheated in a way .

I plan my death to be quick, painless, and someone else's.

Getting thrown on the tracks and run over by a subway train. Now that I am no longer in NYC, it's no longer a fear.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:366
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.