Agnostic.com

7 8

LINK Ancient DNA reveals new twists in Neanderthal migration

Just in case you need your Neanderthal fix and are jonesing, here ya go! This article is jam-packed with enough info on all things Neanderthal to satisfy the most avid anthropology junkie.

BookDeath 8 June 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

We are all neanderthal and Cro-mag mutts

Ok, here's a test of Neanderthal DNA. This came from a Science magazine New Scientist. You'll need your own original front teeth.
Run the tip of your tongue along the inside of your front upper incisors. If they have a vertical ridge congratulations you're Neanderthal. Us humans have smooth incisors.
Great fun at parties or work looking out for the tell tale tongue behind the teeth!
My late wife was a Neanderthal, as is our daughter!

I used to think I was part Neanderthal. Then it turned out to be bad posture. (rimshot)

I just listened to a podcast about the Neanderthals that talked about alot of that. Apparently the different groups were in the same areas ten thousand years or so apart many times over. It had alot to say about the changing views on why we think they ended. Also interesting stuff on why we came to think they were all lumbering and dumb (eugenics and white supremacy). Apparently they were much more similar to us than we have been led to believe.

[stuffyoushouldknow.com]

MsAl Level 8 June 26, 2019

same as us just hairier...and uglier.

@callmedubious Depends who you’re looking at!

@Geoffrey51 ,
that's true. some men like women with hairy armpits.
actually when i think about it i spent 3 1/2 yrs in germany & many of the women i saw in shorts & at beaches there had hairy legs.

Yup showed remarkable results . Ancient man did a lot of intermixing

bobwjr Level 10 June 26, 2019

I already knew about this overlap and a certain amount of interbreeding between Homo Sapiens and Neanderthals, they existed alongside each other for a considerable period. The demise of Neanderthals is thought to be mainly because they were less well able to adapt and compete for resources with the more advanced Homo Sapiens.

@BookDeath I’ve not been tested so I have no idea!

Haven't read the article but most of the newer stuff I have heard recently says differently. More like they bred with homosapiens and never really went "extinct". There were many migrations of homosapiens into their territory and they were slowly outnumbered. Eventually the DNA was so watered down that they were just absorbed into the human population. Now its around 3% in People with Europen ancestory.

Thank you so much!

Did not know Neanderthals mated with Homo Sapiens across Europe and Asia.

This explains why current humans have one to 3% Neanderthal DNA.

By mating, many scientists believe Neanderthals and Homo Sapiens merged into one human species.

@BookDeath Me too

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:366124
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.