Agnostic.com

3 3

LINK A Minnesota city voted to eliminate the Pledge of Allegiance. It didn’t go over well. - The Washington Post

I completely understand and support their decision. As a child I once got into trouble over this issue at school. A teacher noticed I was leaving out the "under god" portion and scolded me for it publicly. I mentioned that to my parents who were NOT happy, had a meeting with the teacher AND principal, and brought their lawyer. (Yes, my father retained one when I started school. JUST for this sort of stuff. He used the lawyer THREE diff times for me. I was a notorious kid by the time I left., at least among staff.) Back to the subject on hand. The Pledge of Allegiance has come to less about saying a simple pledge and more a political litmus test. Maybe it always has been, Idk. But I feel distinctly pressured now, even more so than ever, to stand up and say the thing. Of course, me being me, I'm also more inclined NOT to do so, for sheer cussedness AND to make a point. I WILL NOT say the god thing.

BookDeath 8 June 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The proudest moment of my life was when I became an American citizen. Standing there at 13 years old, with my hand across my heart, I swore allegiance to the United States of America. There was no mention of the need to swear to a flag, to sing a national anthem, to wave the stars and stripes...

The pledge was to uphold the laws...to take care of the people who were my fellow Americans...to defend our country against threats against our ideals and values...to carry the message of our country to others in pride and honor...it was optional to pledge to a god, so I did not since I was already questioning this at this age...

Those who think the pledge of allegiance should be a requirement are normally the same people who ignore the basic principles of our country and don't truly understand the meaning of patriotism and the feeling you get to know you are privileged to be here...they take it for granted or want to show a false sense of patriotism that is non-inclusive and hurtful...

I fly the flag and say the pledge and sing the national anthem as loud as I can because I want to...not because I have to...and not making it a "requirement" for everyone allows for a choice that is more robust, passionate and truthful..so yeah, good to them and fuck the detractors...

You have wonderful parents. I not only refuse to say it I refuse to stand for it. Embarasse my gkids no end.

Yup expected no less

bobwjr Level 10 June 28, 2019
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:366816
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.