Agnostic.com

24 29

So..Stephen Hawking died. It's pretty sad across the board. Smarter than I'll ever be.

Of course, like an idiot I read the comments. Half of the comments are people admiring his work, regretting his loss, generally being somber but also celebrating a life of interesting work.

Then there's the christian commenters, who are more than happy not to accept grief or sadness or offer support, but to take the opportunity to remind everyone that "he rejected god so hes suffering in hell."

Thanks for that, believers. You could talk about his life, his family, his work, contributions to the scientific community or a dozen other things, but nope. They'd rather just use it as an opportunity to say "hahaha we're right and hes burning in hell"

So graceful. So kind, so very jesus like...ugh.

(Really wasn't sure what category to post this under. It's news, its science, and its religion..)

Ersomething 6 Mar 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

24 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Hawking just left Hell and he is not coming back. Are all of you blind? Did you not see how much he suffered? He just left Hell.

Yep, I agree 100%! He has ENTERED heaven! And loving it!

"entered heaven" indeed. sorry to inform you there is no god or his associated "heaven". i agree Hawking was in a terrible place now he is over....six feet under.

@Lewellyn3
WTF are you on?

@Athos I'm on [mannunaki.com] , and you?

It's weird that Christians are the most hateful people I know. I never see Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists on these forums attacking everyone, but I suppose they might do so in their own communities and in other countries.

Muslims probably just don't have as much internet access.

What a bizarre comment. I live in a city of half a million people where approx 50 different languages are spoken. There are many thousands of muslims here, even outnumbering ethnic natives in places, and they are as connected and internet savvy as anybody else.

For my part, I have found them to be a lot more tolerant and non-judgemental than many Christians.

@nikirandom couldn't agree more..

@nikirandom whether they drag them behind the rear of a truck or throw them off high buildings, neither group are charitable towards the LBGTQ population or anyone else whowe lifestyle doesn't conform to their beliefs.

They can't put aside their bigotry and hatred for one single, solitary moment, just to mark the passing of one of the greatest minds humanity has ever known?

Truly, some people ARE beyond saving.

@Captnron59 Not the point. Can you cool off with the one-upping?

@Captnron59 This is not about Tesla, your comments are inappropriate in this context.

How true.

He gave so much as trapped as he was by his body.

Hard to believe anyone wishing him more suffering.

That's believers for you. Discount all of someone's accomplishments and contributions just because they didn't share a self-delusional belief in an invisible sky-daddy.

@KKGator I think you're right except I don't think people really believe as they say they do. It is to me like someone believing in the Easter Bunny or Santa Claus. You know it cannot be true, it simply isn't realistically possible but you don't want to admit that even consciously or to others around you.

@KKGator, true. And yet, by judging him, these pseudo- Christians as are just hanging out their false Christianity out like tattered, stained underwear while calling it a banner of morality. They're just displaying how insincere and hypocritical they really are.

The worst comment I have seen so far is this "Stephen Hawking didn't believe in heaven, but maybe heaven believed in him". I can feel my lunch coming up as we speak. Let's shoot them all.

I can't imagine anything much worse than eternity having to praise a filthy ass god.

It's worse than this with the Christian comments. They believe so strongly by "faith" but have never read any of their doctrines. According to scripture nobody dies and instantly goes anywhere. There is no instant heaven and hell. It's just not there and neither is the Devil. Again, according to scripture, the Devil goes about like a roaring lion seeking those whom he may devour. Can he do that and be in hell at the same time? Actually the "hell doctrine" is a future time but they get this instant idea from Paul who had visions and could never tell "if he was in or out of his body." He also said that to be absent from the body was to be present with the lord. This makes Christians judge you instantly and put you present in hell. They know you are not "with the lord" because you were not a believer. So many of these idiots use this as "you're dead so you have to be in hell now." They said the same about Robin Williams and Christopher Hitchens. It's total absurdity.
Sorry to hear of the passing of Stephen Hawking today, and a bit surprised. He had a great mind. Now he is in the same place he was before he was born. He won't recall any of it either way.

Well, actually, the Christian doctrine and the Bible say the devil isn't in hell yet, at least not all the time. He is free to roam wherever he chooses until the Final Judgement. But I don't think anyone has the right, whatever their beliefs, to judge another person's heart and whether he's in heaven or he'll. We all fall short of perfect.

@Lewellyn3 In our objective world there is no heaven or hell. Subjectively you can believe anything that you want.

the most amazing thing for me about this amazing man was that he had come to a place
of contentment in spite of his very difficult situation. acceptance and then contentment
result in satisfaction even in dire difficulty.

I believe he was as close to being a god as Helen Keller was, without all the superstitious mumbo jumbo.

They certainly had to overcome great limitations. I'm not sure which was worse - being able to move but not hear and see, or being able to hear and see but not move.

Yes the alt right religious idiots will never understand. A Brief History in Time for these fools, they missed the entire point. Hawking was literally in the same IQ level as Einstein and yes these people understand reality, not fiction.

EMC2 Level 8 Mar 14, 2018

I had read that his IQ has even higher than Einstein's. Or did I read wrong?

@Lewellyn3 We only know that both were around 160 in IQ. Some have said this to be true but we only have conjecture at this point. Once we hit a 160 we see the world in a much different way

I had a facebook friend get an attitude when I called him out on saying "rest in heaven" along with his posting of Hawking's death.

I'm sure it was merely like someone saying "best wishes". That's a lot better than someone saying, "Hot enough for you yet, Hawkings?". I read that on FB and I was compelled to call that person out.

After his medical diagnosis in his youth, I believe Mr. Hawking was only supposed to live another year or two according to the medical experts. However, he pushed that instead to another 50 years. I certainly can not prove it, but I attribute that to his brilliant mind and his unquenchable thirst for knowledge. I think he was a glowing example of how the human mind can greatly effect our health.....another reason for tribute to a man already worthy of great tribute.

Science certainly hasn't tapped into human capabilities, that's for sure. There is so much to yet learn in the universe.

Don't let the "praise be to God" people get to you - I've often said isn't it amazing that when bad stuff happens their God is just "testing them" and they chalk it up to "God's will"....like it had nothing whatsoever to do with their decisions and their life choices. However, they can turn on a dime and talk about how we were supposedly given "free will"....which sounds to me like they have given themselves the perfect cop out for pretty much anything. Stephen Hawking was told in his 20's that he had about 2 years to live....I think it is a testament to his intellectual prowess and curiousity and amazing strength of will that kept him moving forward day after day to the age of 76. He will certainly be missed....

I wonder if he lived longer because of his super-human self-determination or because science just isn't advanced enough yet to know everything there is to know about ALS and its prognosis?

I'm hoisting a glass to Stevy, and I know where he is and he's not suffering.

Nope. He's raising a glass for the first time in years, finally!

Odd how an Athiest Suffering from ALS was able to have a life of Purpose....How do believers explain that? How do they justify eternal torment for a non-believer but Satan only gets a Thousand Years and that's only when/if Jesus Returns.

Hawkings lived and achieved more than some of our greatest athletes, I bet. He didn't let his limitations hold him back.

Glad to be here with like minded folk. Been grieving his passing. Reading material about him and going to challenge myself to read more written by him even though much is over my head.

Same here. I've read some of his stuff, but I'll be rammed if I understood even 1/3 of it, lol!

@Ersomething.....well, this Christian doesn't dare to try to determine whether someone is in hell or not! I think a lot of my fellow "believers" (and I put that in quotations because I wonder by their lack of compassion if they really Do believe) are going to be very surprised to learn who winds up in he'll and who doesn't. When I heard he'd died, the first thing I thought was, "Wow, now he's free! I would love to see his face to wake up being out of that sick body totally whole again, doing a moonwalk across Saturn!" I can't judge someone for being an Atheist, as I know several who are a lot more loving and compassionate than some believers. And from my own experience, some Christians are some of the meanest, most coldhearted people in the world. Sometimes I can understand how someone is an Atheist easier than I can understand how someone else is a Christian. Some Christians just don't fit the profile!

it isn't a matter of being loving and compassionate or not. its a matter of believing in a crock of bull or not. there is no god. when i die i don't go to this made up idea of heaven or hell deserving or not; when i die i'm over with. the only ongoing life is in the memory of people i knew.

His death leaves a large hole that might not be filled for some time. He will be missed by many.

The man's courage and humanity were as large as his intellect. Every one loses something when someone like Hawking leaves us whether they realize it or not.

For the man who wrote about the Brief History of Time, he will be forever remembered.

What is that old saying, "There are none so blind as those who will not see?"

People that have been raised indoctrinated, without vision, would not understand what he was and what he triumphed over. He was one of the few great men.

They are so petty and stupid. Instead of celebrating his genius as a special gift from their god and proving that they believe their god is great, they show once again that theirr god was indeed created in their own image: petty and vengeful.

Some christians are very ... well ... 'un-christian'.

The sad thing is that this is no surprise, and no rarity.

Sheep are not the smartest animals and most humans are just that. They follow the Herd of other sheep and will believe all they are told, no matter how ridiculous it sounds. Like there is "an invisable man in the sky watching every move you make".

Have you ever noticed that religious types are always trying to sell you their "Brand" depending on what they were brain washed with? They stand on street corners and in their pile of bricks monstrosity gaggle of buildings and try to Preach to all! Why should they care what we believe? Because they want to "save us". Why is that? Sheep again comes to mind. And of course...money. I say; please save us from them!

Yep, been seeing enough of the conservitarded christian fundi's on facebook claiming that some how he's a beleiver now? Or that he is burning in some kind of hell for eternity because he rejected their superstitions. Its all just so laughable!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:36802
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.