Agnostic.com

22 54

A toast to Stephen Hawking. Such a great contributer to the world. Here are some of his awesome quotes:

1. Intelligence is the ability to change and adapt.

2. Perfection simply doesn't exist.....Without imperfection, neither you nor I would exist.

3. Quiet people have the loudest minds.

4. Look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see, and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious.

5. Life would be tragic if it weren't funny.

6. I have noticed that even people who claim everything is predetermined and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.

7. There is a fundamental difference between religion, which is based on authority, [and] science, which is based on observation and reason. Science will win, because it works

8. I believe the simplest explanation is, there is no God. No one created the universe and no one directs our fate. This leads me to a profound realisation that there probably is no heaven and no afterlife either. We have this one life to appreciate the grand design of the universe and for that, I am extremely grateful.

silvereyes 8 Mar 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

22 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Today is Albert Einstein's birthday. It's also the 30th Anniversary of Pi Day. Furthermore, don't you think it's ironic that Stephen Hawking, the master of physics, died on this day?

Here is a toast to Steve!

ballou Level 8 Mar 14, 2018

Ha. Coincidence? I think not! See, the universe IS directed! How could Stephen and I have been so wrong!

@silvereyes We were talking about it at work today. I think it's amazing!

The world has lost one of its greatest minds of this era. And what perseverance...living as long as he did with ALS! Amazing!

RIP Professor Hawking...great mind and a true survivor!!

Had just seen him in Star Trek next generation on netflix like 3 days ago. What an awesom person he was and the accomplished life he led.

Me too! What a good sport he was.

Quiet people have the loudest minds. I'll have to remember that one. Also by Hawking: "People who brag about their IQs are losers," and a relevant yet off topic clip of Trump bragging about his IQ: [cnn.com]

Indubitably!

Well since I am drinking some wine now I'm raising my glass in a toast to Dr. Stephen Hawking and a life well lived. We have all been honored in living in his age.

and great post!

His, "A Brief Histiry of Time" is one of my favorite books. The entire Genius series from NPR is worth watching. We have lost a great mind. [pbs.org]

Theory of everything!

Dr. Hawkins answered your post about the definition of "intelligence". A wonderful mind.

Dr. Hawking was, apparently, a horrible driver in his chair. A lot of people nearly ran him over in the streets, there's a whole page devoted to "I nearly killed the smartest man alive."

they are all equally my fave quotes; he was such a brilliant mind & humble spirit. i would very much have liked to meet him.

Let me also add that he lived his life as best he could. He didn't let his disease get the better of him.

E.g. On rumours that he regreted not having the chance to run over Margaret Thatcher's toes, he said: "...A malicious rumour, I’ll run over anyone who repeats it.”

At least he got to crush Prince Charles toes, and others'. 😀

Here's to you Stephen, your legacy lives on.

He will be missed

Observation and reason. We have so much to learn. All we need to do is keep learning. Thank you Professor Hawkings for your contribution.

Our Star Trek fan club toasted him at our St. PaTrek Day party last night.

Those are some neat quotes, from a pretty neat person

Thank you for your trubute to Steven. A good read,

Great post

Stephen Hawkins was probably the most amazing and intelligent man of the last 100. Most of us would simply have given up and at best vegetated but he lived in his mind and never let go. He is a real true hero to me. I mourn his passing but rejoice that I could know him via books, articles and the Internet.

It is a shame the most brilliant seldom have the most influence. He will be missed.

SO sorry I never met him!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:36849
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.