Agnostic.com

21 18

LINK Alabama prosecutor drops charges against woman who lost fetus after being shot

This is a surprise. Someone must have realized even Alabama folk wouldn't likely convict a woman that lost a fetus by being shot.

(This is a story is so absurd. Yet so American.) πŸ˜”

SeaGreenEyez 9 July 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I posted about this fiasco this morning.
Unbelievably stupid situation, maybe they want to charge her for stealing the bullet too?

So they do have brains, after all!!

I read the original story. I'm glad it was dropped but since the law is still there I can see something similar happening again. Our country is on a rather bizarre path with the insanity of Christian Conservatism. I keep waiting for a breath of fresh air.

I breathe fresh air by telling the truth about xian fascism and criminal theocracy

Common sense and common decency has prevailed after all.

But only after the shooter was set free , and the victim was charged , and had to hire a lawyer .

Actually the grand jury in that state which is comprised of regular citizens is who voted to indict her after voting not to indict the shooter. The prosecutor who would not file the charges against her will possibly face a lot of negative backlash from the conservative Christians when he runs for reelection.

Not likely. She will likely be swept back into office by the voters in her district. See her quote above that I posted.

Yeah but only under pressure

bobwjr Level 10 July 4, 2019

Read her own words:

[google.com]

@WilliamFleming yeah prosecutor was right but the grand jury should not have indighted

@bobwjr I’m not sure. If we had been on the grand jury we’d have all the facts and it might make more sense.

Most of the deep South is so unbelievably ignorant, it is hard to imagine. If they had actually left the United States after the civil war, they would have become a third world country.

Thank common sense that she has been released. This was a travesty of justice. Damn, I am staying far from Alabama forever.

My neighbours brother left South Africa to stay in Alabama. I now understand why. He's amongst like-minded people!

As he should of. People never cease to amaze me with their ignorance

She.

@WilliamFleming oh yah. Makes it even worse

The person who shot her is an animal but it is beyond me why a pregnant woman would not take care of herself and be in a bar.

Doesn't say she was drinking , using drugs , or even smoking . Just says she was sitting there.

Crazy statement. Plenty of pregnant women have been in a bar for various reasons. Blaming the victim sucks

She was in the bar because the father of the child was cheating on her with the shooter and she caught him and her there together. Then she attacked the shooter.

@Cast1es According to reports she was making a vicious attack on the woman who shot her.

I'm glad the prosecutor dropped the charges. Probably due to national pressure.

All losers when you look at things, starting wirh the state of Alabama, the shooter, the woman and of course her now dead unborn child. No winners here, and all because of our country's obsession with carrying guns.

The person who made money selling the gun and the manufacturers should be the ones being prosecuted.

Where do you find these insane stories??

@SeaGreenEyez
Oh no! I live in Ohio! So.... I must be insane... or displaced! πŸ™‚

@SeaGreenEyez
You've got me pegged SGE. Conservative, Bat Shit Crazy.... that's a great description of my entire neighborhood. I refuse to follow any news stories except technical & scientific journals. Don't have any kind of TV except digital antennas. Weve been known to not turn on the telly for weeks.

Charged in the first instance? How absurd.

If every Tom, Dick and Harriet would not be able to get a gun, then this would not have happened.

What were their reasons for alleging she intentionally caused the death of the fetus?

@SeaGreenEyez I don't know why thtey concluded she intended to kill the fetus from that, unless they just wanted to blame somebody for that death. I'm glad justice prevailed in this case, anyway.

Has anybody heard any rational reason for not charging the shooter? I know this is Alabama, a state not known for anything rational but this makes them look even worse than before.

BillF Level 7 July 4, 2019

If we had been on the grand jury we would have had the pertinent facts and we might understand it better.

It seems we have truly reached the point of national implosion. How can some states be so insane with these laws while others go in the opposite direction. Yes, poverty is a prime cause but attitudes such as these only drive people and business away compounding the problems.

The insane AL GRAND JURY blamed the gunshot victim for provoking the shooter implying pregnant women are not allowed to argue with violent gun toting perpetrators.
..Alabama law itself is insane placing undue burdens of pregnancy elevation of an embryo or zygote over real personhood

The District Attorney in this case is a Black woman. Lynneice Washington. From al.com:

Speaking publicly for the first time at a weekend event, Washington delivered passionate remarks before a predominantly black audience saying β€œI am a black woman in black skin. So, don’t tell me how I don’t appreciate the sensitivity of a woman and the rights of women.”

[google.com]

She has other interesting remarks about the grand jury decision also.

@SeaGreenEyez I will not form an opinion, not having all the pertinent facts. Apparently the two women were fighting over the father. The woman who fired the shot was said to have been trying to escape and was in fear for her life.

Maybe the grand jury was correct in this case. It’s not our call.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:369540
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.