Agnostic.com

42 14

Why would a man write to me for another guy? A scam?

This is the second time this happened. Pimping for another guy, a man from Minnesota wrote:

Hello how are you doing? What is it about your profile pic and your smile though?…lol. I was sharing my story with a friend of mine and showing him my profile when yours popped up and he’s been all over me about getting in touch with you. He isn’t on the dating site because he is a military man and he can’t be on a dating site/social media at the moment, so am reaching out to you on his behalf cause my story has been a success on here, i have found my partner and am getting off the site soon. He’s a lovely man, he’s good looking and gentle.

Do drop him a line at (email) and he will write back with more info about himself and he will send you pictures too via email. I’m 100% that you would be thrilled by him and he will be more than happy to read from you except you don’t like or appreciate Military men and i will understand. Wishing you guys all the best. I strongly believe you will thank me later ! My job is done here, lol !

My reply:

You are the second man who tried hooking me up with another man. Lame. Not interested.

There are dating websites for people in the military. I have seen career military men on OKCupid and Plenty of Fish. Tell him to try this dating website: www.military.cupid.com. I found it with a quick Google search.

We have different lifestyles and values. I am a peace activist, Democrat, environmentalist and volunteer to stop gun violence in America.

This Sunday, I will meet the author of "Trekking Washington," a fit, passionate hiker like me. Mike, 63, and I have been laughing and talking on the phone. He climbed Mt. McKinley twice. We have a lot in common.

Tell your friend I'm not interested.

Kathleen

Your thoughts?

LiterateHiker 9 July 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

42 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Scammer

bobwjr Level 10 July 5, 2019

Their letter feels like a scam. It just doesn’t come across as real. I’d just ignore it, you don’t owe the person anything

That may have worked for Cyrano de Bergerac, scammers need to return to the idea board in scammer central.

@azzow2

Hilarious! Love that you mentioned Cyrano de Bergerac. Perfect.

Maybe the military man is a bit shy, or brain damaged from all the saluting. I can remember as a shy teenager being told "my friend fancies you" several times 😉

@Moravian

"Brain damaged from all the saluating" is very funny!

Love your sense of humor.

Yep, that’s a scam. I’ve received almost identical messages from a couple different guys on other sites. You actually responded with a lot more explanation than was warranted, imo.

I am not familiar with this scam scenario. What happens if you say ok?

Nardi Level 7 July 5, 2019

what happens is the dialogue goes offsite and the scam begins in earnest. there is no friend; it's just a scammer.

g

It's a scam. In the last 3 years I have seen this multiple times. There are people from third world countries who get paid to gather data. This is probably what is happening.
Another note. One of their favorite covers is to pretend to be military. Americans are presumed to be very supportive of those in the service.

the man has no friend. he would be writing on his own behalf; the idea is to lure you offsite so he can scam you without being censured by the site. you did the right thing, gave the right answer.

g

I would be wary, but I have written one lady on a dating site on behalf of a friend. He could not contact her directly because he was two years over the age limit she set.

All i did was send her a brief note explaining the situation and asking her to please check his profile (link provided, of course).

She ended up contacting him and they became friends.

On the other hand, if he doesn't have a profile, I'd probably recommend exactly what you did.

probably scam.

I don't have much to add except as a vet, these stolen Valor people will stoop to any level to scam and try to separate you from your money. you did good.

Antenna alert is my immediate feeling. This screams scam to me, so I think you did the right thing....albeit in much more detail than I would have deemed necessary.

Your reply - good for you👍

If it's real, his friend's reasoning is pretty sad. I've never had someone ask for me, even as a "military man." I would just recommend you don't judge us all by the profession. Most active military and veterans are anti-war.

Marz Level 7 July 5, 2019

That is pinging all the scam verbage. lol.

Methinks definitely a scam and also that you dedicated too much time and effort with a reply that should have been short and to the point, like: F*CK OFF @SSHOLE!!!

Yes, almost certainly a scam. You are too polite, I would not have wasted any time on him. Just block and go.

this is not worthy of an honest reply .
This is a Dragon category reply :

" I am flattered and excited to get in touch w your friend! Unfortunately I will not be able to communicate w him via email . The captain of our spaceship is very strict about communication rules w the Earth occupants . For now , only telepathy is permitted . I hope he is ok w that ?
I am excited ! Thank u !
One more question : what size head u think your friend has ? Big , small , large ?? I am particularly interested on scalp structure and durability .
Send me his name , and no worries. I WILL FIND U ALL.
Hugs ,
It#43

@pralina you are a mess lol

@Pralina1

Love your sense of humor!

Thanks for your witty comment.

I’m stealing this!

Perfect!

Another form of catfishing.

Someone putting the bait out there, trying get what they can get. Information to start with. Then they'll see how they can use it.

I am surprised you spent that much effort to respond. Definitely a scammer.

This morning I reported and blocked him.

To quote the scammer, my job is done.

Simple and logical solution to any unwanted attention or solicitation on the internet.

You put far too much effort into that reply. Next time, a simple "piss off" will do or just delete it. Better still, copy/paste Pralina's response and send that. 👍

Ugh, yeah it is a scam as are many of the fake military accounts that are set up. I received 2 scams from POF website in less than a month and reported them both. I quickly left that website. The most scams are on the free sites as these people can set up numerous accounts with fake photos at no cost to them.

Maybe the man doing the writing is secretly and madly in love with you, but afraid to declare himself because he has a really big nose. This makes him horribly self-conscious, despite being an accomplished playwrite and perhaps the best swordsman in all France ...

@The-Krzyz That's a much more romantic option that scammer.

Rostand should have talked to you first.
😉

@KKGator Came across this when wandering around Paris a few years back.

@The-Krzyz Thank goodness it wasn't hidden behind a bush!

And another chapter is added to "Tales of the Litterate Hiker".... 😉

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:369743
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.