Agnostic.com

317 11

Do you ever miss the religious life?

Admin 8 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

317 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Never had a religious life but as a child at sunday school I always found the church a very depressing place and the death worshiping made me feel uncomfortable.

No. I could never miss being intellectually and morally dishonest

Nope. Not at all.

Not at all.

Sometimes

The biggest draw to the religious life is the opportunity for social and business connections that are often available through the events and facilities.

I wonder what percentage of believers went to church but didn't participate. Catholicism only took two hours of my week until I was in college and there was no one to force me to go to church. I never participated and it was just a time burden, like grocery shopping or pumping gas. I lost nothing and gained two hours per week. Is this 1/3 of christians? 1/4?

Not at all, the drama and time demands are all in the past.

Never had any of that . Which is great ?

I gave up on religion at really early age so I don't really have anything to miss.

JoeVZ Level 4 Dec 6, 2018

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!! Now that is funny!

Right ???

I attend an Atheist, Agnostc, Freethinkers group 1st Sunday of the month ... gathering with breakfast and a speaker on various topics.. Church camp summers were fun with weed

I wouldn't know. I never had one.

no

zesty Level 7 Oct 11, 2018

Never that into the BS theater and no, I do not miss any aspect of the religious life as I find religions abhorrent.

Not one bit glad to be free from.it all

No. When i think back to the indoctrination, the shaming, the fear mongering, and the lies, I hate my family for allowing it to happen to me.

Yes, I miss the community and I miss the feeling of connection. I really like the idea of the Sunday assembly that was started in England. It fills the void that religion left in my life, when I stopped believing

No, not one iota!

Cant miss what you never had!

I have never experienced the religious life, not even during my (self-described) "religious" year. all i did that was different that year was go to shul (which was not how my family rolled) and briefly study talmud. i don't think on the grand scale of things i could even at that time be described as religious; i just wanted to learn. what i learned was to question everything (actually, questioning is a legitimate part of judaism; jewish "faith" isn't blind faith, as it appears to be in christianity). so... i don't have a religious life to miss.

g

I miss the camaraderie of the social part, miss the fun holidays , participating with the kids, the holiday seasons full of happiness and hope. I used to wish it were all true , the nice story about having a loving father and guiding spirit. I would love to have one, maybe like the Godfather though who would really right the wrongs of life when they came along to knock me down. I loved the trimmings, the lights and songs, the music and smiles. I still enjoy these but it has nothing to do with religion .

I miss the friendships...but then again, once I became an atheist...those 'friends' disappeared, so guess they weren't really friends to begin with.

Overall, no. I don't miss feeling like I was not worthy of love. I don't miss feeling guilty about nearly every part of my life. And I definitely don't miss the programmed self-loathing you must have to be a good Christian.

It was hard changing my beliefs after such zeal for such a long time, but the emotional weight off my shoulders was almost immediate and so liberating.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:37
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.