Agnostic.com

317 11

Do you ever miss the religious life?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

317 comments (276 - 300)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I do not miss religious life at all (even though I was once a well schooled christian minister). I dislike the us and them attitude of the religious people I was around. Because I am a curious, questioning, and mentally restless sort of person I do not fit in with religions that think they have the answers. I am happier, much happier, not being part of any religious life. If I want friends I can find more honesty in a pub, or park or the beach than I can at any church related event.

No, not group worship. I went to Catholic schools and was forced to attend church like 3 times a week. And then there is the hypocrisy of people sitting in the front row and being not so good of a person. I have my own religion inside myself. My Bible is The Golden Rule, Treat Others and you want to be treated yourself.

Absolutely not.

I’ve never been religious. I was born non-religious and still am.

Loren Level 2 Oct 28, 2017

I wish I had been born non-religious, you are so fortunate.

For most parts of religious life there is nothing to miss. However from the social side of life it had some great times. I am an ex SDA and we had lovely after church lunch times with fellow believers. Some church music is quite good and some Gospel songs can be very uplifting just from the point of music. Words in the songs mean not much most of the time just like pop songs do not either. The collapse of friendships due to leaving the church and liberation from biblical dogma did leave some emptiness inside and in social life. But nothing is better than freedom.

Assuming the question means the 'Religious life' for a believer, and not simply having a reverential attitude toward nature and life itself -- NEVER had it to lose - fortunately.

Pedro Level 3 Oct 28, 2017

I used to take great comfort from communion & my son (an agnostic) was very displeased when I became a lapsed Anglican, which eventually morphed into atheism. I am grateful that I had a wide-reaching culturally religious education.

I miss the community of it and the vast support network sometimes.

LoriS Level 3 Oct 23, 2017

Sometimes. I was raised Mormon and the sense of community is really strong, losing it was a lonely experience. Also living in Iowa as I do I'm pretty much surrounded by the faithful so it's difficult to find a non-religious group of people to hang out with.

I miss Holy days of Observance, all the rituals, celebrating the Saints, the mass, the incense, mystagogy, all of it. But I don't miss any of it.

never had it ,

I honestly despised the church. I found people there to be far too self-involved. I'm something of a loner though so that probably contributes. I do not miss it. I do miss having a default community though. There are benefits to that.

Not in the slightest....

No even as young child child i was ask for various forms of proof for the claims religion made...often it was just plattitueds at other ties it was veil threats that how i dre ask the mind of god..Well if nt mine who;s job is it question it...no i don't miss close minded ppl at all

"Never"- one word! I do not want to be cloistered in a web of stupidity. Although truth will very often take one out of their comfort zone- that is a better choice than being in La-la-land.

Sometimes I think safety in belief might be nice.

Jake Level 1 Oct 15, 2017

Yes! I was brought up a Catholic .Went to confession and holy communion,even became an altar boy.I miss what I thought of as a child as certainties.The packaged stability that the church offered....around sex ,marriage,illness,guilt etc.Then as an adult you realise the dangers of feeling there are absolute guides to what is right and wrong.It is what is right or wrong for you as an individual that is important.My feeling of missing something is a price worth paying for value of finding things out for myself.

Mark Level 1 Oct 14, 2017

No. Honestly, I'm a bit ashamed out how religious I was.

Never felt religious. Even as a kid, Catholic mass felt like a charade. I understood the moral lessons but didn't take anything literally. I put all the teaching in the same category as other great fiction I loved like Star Wars or Lord of the Rings, a valuable experience in my life, but I feel it has no direct bearing on my perception of my life.

No, because it makes no logical sense. The community feeling seems nice to tell you to realize most of those people act nice to tell you are no longer are in the area and they usually are a bunch of vipers.

Sometimes. I listened to nothing but christian music for 15 years and was a christian for 28. I haven't been away from religion long. I still find myself starting to pray or thanking 'God' for something. Or wishing I had someone to talk to the way I did God. Now I just feel foolish for all I did talk to 'him'.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:37
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.