Agnostic.com

317 11

Do you ever miss the religious life?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

317 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I never had a 'religious life' but church women love to f*** and I miss that.

20 years as a Christian. I don't miss the life, but I do miss many of the people. Honestly I always wondered when preachers would exclaim that heaven was going to be all hymns and worship, and that was by far my least favorite part of church. I would be thinking "an eternity of this is going to get old fast". Now I know that someday I will leave this mortal coil into eternal blissful sleep.

Never participated, so no, I do not miss it.

Oddly no. I've made some good friends at church and it some cases it a good source of community. but I find those things in other hobbies also, and I get to sleep late on Sunday.

Oddly enough, no, altho I'm one of the few people I know (believer or non) who actually enjoyed going to church as a kid. Sometimes I go to the local UU church tho that's mostly for their social activism than religious activity.

Religion sets up unrealistic expectations about gawd answering prayer and humans being decent people. There are great reasons religious people have more depression. I pity them for believing in fairy tales, but also for the mental health issues that are strongly tied to religion.

Many people miss the community and support in churches. Unitarian Universalists are mostly atheist or agnostic.

Granted I've been part of this UU community for over two years and consistently help others in need, bringing food, giving rides if I can....

After my big bicycle wreck 6 weeks ago, a fellow UU picked me up from the ER, they delivered food for two days. A UU brought me to surgery, unfortunately the doctor's office didn't tell me they wanted 72 hours of babysitting and the surgery lasted 2 hours longer so my non-UU ride couldn't pick me up. While I was still under anesthesia my UU organized a new ride AND ensured I had three days of coverage complete with meals. Obviously we don't do that with every knucklehead but we try to legitimately help as many as we can.

Some UUs sing hymns and have some church trappings, but I'd be very surprised if any UU preached any specific "faith" other than basic decency towards people, the planet....although some are politically hard left which can be annoying.

[uua.org]

I miss the socialization and support from church, thank Baal I found Unitarian Universalists, it's a great "church" for atheists.

Absolutely! There is nothing to believe as a UU. i am there for like minded people even tho we all do not think alike, all are open to others' way of looking at things. If there was any hint of a dogma I'd be outta there fast.

And all the repression that comes with it? All the fear that everything you do is a sin? That god is always watching you? Hell no.

I miss the socialization. The fight for social justice and equality. My former church was extremely progressive; but they were selling the same fairy tales. I sometimes wish there was a, "church" for athiests.

Not exclusively for atheists but I think nationally over 70% of UUs identify as atheist or agnostic. We focus on social justice a ton too.

[uua.org]

Nope, haven't for 45 yesrs

No

I was never religious but I did think I should take my two children so they would at least have the opportunity to be Believers if they wanted to do so as adults. It's their choice after all. We went to a Baptist Church and I did love the music!

Nothing wrong with a rousing negro spiritual to get the blood moving. After all it's the energy and NOT THE Message. Hi Suki. Al

Nope. I have always hated attending church, and never had anything in common with churchgoers.

Violet Level 4 June 26, 2018

I don't recall any part of it that appealed to me.

My only regret about leavening religion is not leavening much sooner!

That makes two of us.

I am not sure that I ever had a "religious" life. If I did, I don't miss it at all.

Not a nickels worth... actually much less.

Tomas Level 7 June 25, 2018

I have thought I might like to be a monk over the years. I love the thought of chanting and doing the garden, six prayer sessions a day, peace and quiet, no secular hassles like bills and queuing for trains and buses. My only problem would be I don't believe that Jesus or the others are who they think they are. The only minor flaw in my plan!

I don’t miss much about it, because I was forced to go, forced to participate, and I resented it on an epic scale. I have never believed; that might make a difference too.

I sometimes miss the communal aspect of worship, the holidays, the picnics. It brings a community together and gives them an excuse to celebrate.

Denker Level 7 June 24, 2018

I do miss pagentry and solemnity. I miss the happiness I had when I thought there was a god. That said, I am okay now living in reality.

Not at all
in fact i am very happy after i left religion.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:37
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.