Agnostic.com

317 11

Do you ever miss the religious life?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

317 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No

Absolutely not. However, I do miss community solidarity and camaraderie.

You may enjoy something like Sunday Assembly, which is like a 'church' for non-believers.

Nope. I have never been religious or believed in a god, so nothing to miss.

I was never religious; I grew up in a non-religious household, but had brief periods of time occassionally attending church/church camp growing up so I could be with school friends (such as Sunday morning after sleepovers). I was not down for the religious aspects of it, ever, but I was, and still am, kind of envious of the built-in community aspect. It seems much easier to find an established community based on religion than any other shared interest/activity.

That's like asking a woman if she misses her abusive husband. 😀 Totally don't miss having to lie about how god is blessing me, nor do I miss constantly being told I am worth nothing and only god gives me value.

IKR that is just mental and emotional abuse. I’ve actually had people tell me that we are all just sinful, wicked humans that don’t deserve God’s grace.

that's like asking a prisoner if he/she misses prison.

Some probably have things about it they miss, like friends they've made lol I guess they get used to being in there. But I see what you're saying lol most of it you don't miss. I don't miss most of the things from being a christian.

Stockholm syndrome

i don't miss anything.

I don't think that's really fair. Lots of people lose friends when they leave a church, or simply miss the fellowship. Not everything about religion is bad.

yes.sometimes but When you taste the cup of truth you can not be convinced of the illusions of religions

I miss the social part, but that's it.

Nope! As a child, was forced to attend baptist church. That'll really turn any sane person against religion. I'm quite happy with science, common sense and knowledge. The more educated one becomes, the more likely they'll reject religion.

I still attend funerals and weddings many of which are held in churches so I don't miss much of the community aspect of a religious life because I still participate. When I get up on Sunday morning and realize I am facing a full day of freedom I feel very content.

I don't miss the religion, but the community was nice most of the time. It was comforting knowing that you could always count on someone if anything came up. Events (other than church and bible study) tended to be fun. Basically, if I had to say the one thing that was hard about leaving religion, is losing all the people who locked me out of their life because they couldn't accept my lack of belief. Discovering that most of me friendships were based on such weak bonds was difficult accept.

... but liberating in it's own way?

Not for a moment... grew up in it. No need to believe in a mythological creature to be happy... unless it's a unicorn..

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!! Now that is funny!

Right ???

I miss the friendships...but then again, once I became an atheist...those 'friends' disappeared, so guess they weren't really friends to begin with.

Overall, no. I don't miss feeling like I was not worthy of love. I don't miss feeling guilty about nearly every part of my life. And I definitely don't miss the programmed self-loathing you must have to be a good Christian.

It was hard changing my beliefs after such zeal for such a long time, but the emotional weight off my shoulders was almost immediate and so liberating.

I don’t miss much about it, because I was forced to go, forced to participate, and I resented it on an epic scale. I have never believed; that might make a difference too.

I sometimes miss the communal aspect of worship, the holidays, the picnics. It brings a community together and gives them an excuse to celebrate.

Denker Level 7 June 24, 2018

It was emotionally easier to cope with

One thing that is missed is the fellowship of a church family. In a good church, with good people, you always have help in tough times. However, all the other negative things greatly outweigh this aspect of church life.

be interesting for you to spell out the negative things

@Flettie Well, let's see. Of the 3 churches I was a member, all 3 pastors had to resign, 2 for sexual scandals. The other was because he was too liberal and supported the SCOTUS decision on school prayer...and he smoked cigars. The last church we attended, my wife got greatly offended as she was shamed because she did not home school. We never went back.

Not in the least!

Uncas Level 4 Apr 1, 2018

No, no, 1000 times no! Went to church Sunday morning, night n Wednesday night. My folks were hypocrites. When I was 38, I realized, I don't have to do this anymore! I fired my parents!!! Best decision ever!!

There is something about the traditions of the Jewish religion that I miss, like the davening in Temple, the flow of the reading of the Torah and Haftorah. I do miss the celebration of Passover when family would get together for our annual supper.

I wanted to be a cantor as a kid, so at one point religion was important to me. But I recently went to a friend's kid bar mitzvah and had a hard time with the religious aspect of the occasion. As atheists we do not have a celebration of becoming and adult, no bar mitzvahs, no communions, no walk abouts. We do not celebrate the coming of age when our kids turn 13, 18 or 21. I miss those traditions.

I can see that. I'm an atheist but I love going around the medieval churches of Europe and I'm also interested in devotional music. Remember this - you don't HAVE to throw out baby with the bathwater 🙂

yes traditions. as a former christian i kinda miss christmas. i'd taught my son that christmas means christ's birthday. he's 31 and also atheist. when he asks what i want for christmas, i respond by telling him what i want for a winter gift. not the same. and NO TREE! what?

Hell to the no!

Not really, when looking back on it , it was filled with individuals who based the relationship solely on me being a church member and not who I was as a person ..almost likr being a part of a work group ot business

Not at all

When you have studied the really ancient religions, such as Ubaid and Sumerian (the latter was more of a proto-religion) and can pinpoint the time where religion went wrong then no not miss being part of 'The Herd'

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:37
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.