Agnostic.com

317 11

Do you ever miss the religious life?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

317 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Not really, I never particularly liked it to begin with. It's been long enough that I don't think I even miss the people. If I need the interaction I have a crochet group I go to, a gaming group that I no longer game with but still talk to often enough, and have no problem with starting or joining other activity groups for company and like mindedness if I feel I need something that regular in my life.

AmyLF Level 7 Jan 23, 2018

I do miss the sense of unity ,community and support that a church has to offer. I suppose that's why Unitarian universalism was the answer for me. Church Without religion if you will.

I miss that good old gospel music sung by those who have talent beyond anything commercially produced out here. That is what I miss. The music.

I want to say that I miss the feeling of belonging, and of camaraderie, but honestly, that had been missing for YEARS before I finally gave up. I've found a very robust atheist community that I'm rather fond of. 🙂

Lanie Level 2 Oct 14, 2017

Sometimes I miss the sense of community there can be. People had no problem welcoming fellow parishioners into their homes and making them dinner. But at the same time, I don’t miss the looks I got because I did’t fit in their mold of what was “good” and “holy” for what a girl should do/say/act, who I should love and fall in love with. Mostly I miss that connection I had with my parents, but I don’t agree with their beliefs anymore.

Not at all. When I was involved in religion I felt fraudulent and it also felt like other people were being fake as well. I mean, you kind of have to be to keep up appearances right? It's a big show every Sunday where people try to out-dress one another and there are a lot of fake smiles. I went to a church where people seemed to only catch the holy ghost whenever the drums kicked up. Now I feel like I can relax and be myself and not worry about all of that. I feel free to be honest.

GregC Level 2 Oct 1, 2017

Can't say that I miss it. But I still enjoy getting a good laugh from it once in a while.

I miss the close groups of people at times. Humans are pack animals, so there is that aspect. I do not miss the social control mechanisms that religion tries to burden upon the followers. Rather like the entire stand for the flag thing going on in America. I respect the military members, I work in Law Enforcement, yet, it is their first amendment right to kneel if they so choose. Needless to say I just keep my comments to myself.

I thought it would be nice to give Christianity another try as an adult, I found the promise of community appealing, so in my mid-20s, I started going to church for a while. But it didn't stick. The same old doubts I had before came back, and I found their lack of belief in science and the hypocrisy that exists within religion intolerable. I'm more of an atheist now than I was before that brief period I spent in church.

No, except for the built in community of support.....unless you do something deemed unholy of course.

Zebra Level 1 Sep 15, 2017

I don't see anything wrong in extending community and humanitarian support thru a religious group, it's a good social circle even if you don't believe in their faith. Giving help to others is beyond religion

I understand, and some won't associate with you unless you're associated with their belief system, rituals, and/or 'church'.

I attend an Atheist, Agnostc, Freethinkers group 1st Sunday of the month ... gathering with breakfast and a speaker on various topics.. Church camp summers were fun with weed

I wouldn't know. I never had one.

Cant miss what you never had!

I miss the camaraderie of the social part, miss the fun holidays , participating with the kids, the holiday seasons full of happiness and hope. I used to wish it were all true , the nice story about having a loving father and guiding spirit. I would love to have one, maybe like the Godfather though who would really right the wrongs of life when they came along to knock me down. I loved the trimmings, the lights and songs, the music and smiles. I still enjoy these but it has nothing to do with religion .

I never had a 'religious life' but church women love to f*** and I miss that.

Oddly no. I've made some good friends at church and it some cases it a good source of community. but I find those things in other hobbies also, and I get to sleep late on Sunday.

Oddly enough, no, altho I'm one of the few people I know (believer or non) who actually enjoyed going to church as a kid. Sometimes I go to the local UU church tho that's mostly for their social activism than religious activity.

Nope, haven't for 45 yesrs

No

I was never religious but I did think I should take my two children so they would at least have the opportunity to be Believers if they wanted to do so as adults. It's their choice after all. We went to a Baptist Church and I did love the music!

Nothing wrong with a rousing negro spiritual to get the blood moving. After all it's the energy and NOT THE Message. Hi Suki. Al

Nope. I have always hated attending church, and never had anything in common with churchgoers.

Violet Level 4 June 26, 2018

I don't recall any part of it that appealed to me.

I am not sure that I ever had a "religious" life. If I did, I don't miss it at all.

Not a nickels worth... actually much less.

Tomas Level 7 June 25, 2018

I have thought I might like to be a monk over the years. I love the thought of chanting and doing the garden, six prayer sessions a day, peace and quiet, no secular hassles like bills and queuing for trains and buses. My only problem would be I don't believe that Jesus or the others are who they think they are. The only minor flaw in my plan!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:37
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.