Agnostic.com

317 11

Do you ever miss the religious life?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

317 comments (76 - 100)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Hell no.

Hell to the no!

Being religious was an easy way to feel superior to everyone else without justification or having to put in any effort to improve myself. But I don't miss it. I may not have that undeserved sense of being better than everyone else, but I'm more satisfied with who I am (I think I'm more understanding, generally kinder, less judgmental, etc.). I don't know that I'm any happier, but I don't think I'm more depressed either (at least not because of my change in worldview).

Not really, when looking back on it , it was filled with individuals who based the relationship solely on me being a church member and not who I was as a person ..almost likr being a part of a work group ot business

As we get older, my wife and I have been mildly attracted to the sense of community that is promised by church and quasi-church-like groups such as the post-Christian, atheist-accepting Unitarian-Universalists. But we keep running aground on the cliquish aspects of UU, its substitution of political dogma for religious dogma. We actually found an Episcopalean congregation more comfortable and broadly inclusive, but could not endure their 90 minute liturgical extravaganzas. Religious cruft is cruft, even when it's not dogmatic. I don't know what us two introverts are going to do long-term but it's probably not going to involve even liberal religion. In any case, it's my evolving view that liberal Christians are complicit with fundamentalists in not sufficiently calling them out for their perfidy.

No

Never was religious. ...always was an outsider studying believers inside their churches. ...like going to a neighbors house for the 1st time and there after. ...always asking how a guest should behave. ...reading signs on the walls

Never had one to miss.

Absolutely not. However, I do miss community solidarity and camaraderie.

You may enjoy something like Sunday Assembly, which is like a 'church' for non-believers.

Nope. All that sit down, stand up, kneel, sit, kneel, stand up and sad music and seriousness had to go.

Sad music. I love it. Lol.

Just the music which can be very pleasant to listen to.

I miss the music more than anything else. I also miss the community, which is why I've considered re-joining a Unitarian Universalist congregation or getting involved with Sunday Assembly.

I absolutely do not miss the misogyny and anti-intellectualism of the churches of my childhood.

I have occasionally thought that it would be easier in almost every way to be a believer - fitting in more (I live in the Bible Belt), having those automatic social connections, etc. It would make my family amazingly happy if I reconverted. But I just cannot do it. It's too hypocritical.

I am the same person I was when I believed, just a little smarter. I don't miss anything about it. I think I was always atheist but growing up in a sheltered tiny town, I didn't even know that you could question it. I remember listening to pastors give their sermon and thinking "this is full of holes".

I miss the fellowship, especially when you live far away from where you grow up. It is a way to make friends in real life in your local community. For better or worse, in many places it is a major part of the social fabric.

I miss church choir. I miss the Wednesday potlucks.

I was never raised in a religious household. So I did not have to put up with that stuff. Did my own DD and realized that it was very hypocritical and a money making machine.

If I miss anything, it is the glares I got from snickering during the services. I was once taken to church on a date. Before the mass even started, she wanted to leave

Not at all

When you have studied the really ancient religions, such as Ubaid and Sumerian (the latter was more of a proto-religion) and can pinpoint the time where religion went wrong then no not miss being part of 'The Herd'

Not at all

When you have studied the really ancient religions, such as Ubaid and Sumerian (the latter was more of a proto-religion) and can pinpoint the time where religion went wrong then no not miss being part of 'The Herd'

I don't miss anything about religion, church, fellowship, nothing. The fellowship was based on shared beliefs so it's meaningless now. I'm an introvert anyway and don't enjoy forced relationships so I'm totally fine without any of it.

I miss the illusion of knowledge and purpose & the social interactions.

I want to start attending meet up groups in Oklahoma. Work is an obstacle.

Not at all. Like missing shackles

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:37
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.