Agnostic.com

317 11

Do you ever miss the religious life?

Admin 8 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

317 comments (76 - 100)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I do miss pagentry and solemnity. I miss the happiness I had when I thought there was a god. That said, I am okay now living in reality.

I never had one, so I can't say.

I couldn't wait to get away from it. Once I turned 18 and my father couldn't make me go to church and catechism I was done. I checked out way before that, but once it was MY choice my choice was "fuck this". I never looked back and never regretted that decision.

I never really had a religious life to speak of, at least not as an adult. As a youngster, I was fairly active in my church, but then I figured out it was all baloney, and the thrill was gone. I don't miss the hocus-pocus nonsense, but I do miss the sense of community. I live in the Bible Belt; if you have no church affiliation you have no social life at all; you might as well be dead. Luckily I'm retired, because it's also difficult to do business here if you're "unchurched," and I have been encouraged to join a church for that very reason. But as I have a very low tolerance for intolerant, dogmatic bullshit, I can't see myself doing that. I would be sure to offend somebody every single time I opened my mouth.

Nope

Some agnostics and atheist say they wish they had their religion back. I have thought about that often but I don't think there is any going back. Our mind decides what e believe and once it don't believe, then it ain't going back. But I do think we have to get some "hype" from somewhere in order to remain motivated to live and achieve. We have to have something that drives us. For some it's family, football, sports, sex, love of music or art. Everybody has something.
I guess we should live to experience joy. Joy is short lived emotional happiness. What brings people joy? I guess everybody has his/her own catalyst.
Do you ever see the spectators at football games with their shirts off and the whole body painted in team colors? Now those folks are really into the experience of the game. The game means something big to them. The game adds to their reason for living.

No. i grew up in the 60's in a protestant home. mom told us to never even look at a catholic church. even tho they claimed to be methodist, she was agnostic, until she got older and i guess was afraid she'd go to hell unless she went to her boring church. fast forward, i went to a catholic church in my 30's w a friend, as irrational as it sounds, i felt like i would be struck by lightening for going into a catholic church. do i miss that? well, thinking about it, it is kinda funny, and i do love to laugh!

No I don't.

ebdb Level 7 Apr 25, 2018

Can not miss what you never had.

I don't miss it at all, I found it and the people for the most part to be so fake and condescending. I knew several of the people both in and out of church and even as a child knew it was like watching Sybil split personalities and all. I am much happier not having to listen to the BS being preached and told I am a sinner at every turn. I also don't missed being interrogated simply because I was not a good enough actress to hide my doubts of the veracity of their claims.

Mostly miss the music. Beautiful sounding hymns and organ music.

and the potluck dinners-don't forget the food!

I do, I miss the singing and the friendships.

gater Level 7 Mar 13, 2018

make new friendships - all you got to do is grab em by the pussy!

Being religious was an easy way to feel superior to everyone else without justification or having to put in any effort to improve myself. But I don't miss it. I may not have that undeserved sense of being better than everyone else, but I'm more satisfied with who I am (I think I'm more understanding, generally kinder, less judgmental, etc.). I don't know that I'm any happier, but I don't think I'm more depressed either (at least not because of my change in worldview).

Never had one to miss.

I am the same person I was when I believed, just a little smarter. I don't miss anything about it. I think I was always atheist but growing up in a sheltered tiny town, I didn't even know that you could question it. I remember listening to pastors give their sermon and thinking "this is full of holes".

I miss the fellowship, especially when you live far away from where you grow up. It is a way to make friends in real life in your local community. For better or worse, in many places it is a major part of the social fabric.

I miss church choir. I miss the Wednesday potlucks.

I was never raised in a religious household. So I did not have to put up with that stuff. Did my own DD and realized that it was very hypocritical and a money making machine.

If I miss anything, it is the glares I got from snickering during the services. I was once taken to church on a date. Before the mass even started, she wanted to leave

I don't miss anything about religion, church, fellowship, nothing. The fellowship was based on shared beliefs so it's meaningless now. I'm an introvert anyway and don't enjoy forced relationships so I'm totally fine without any of it.

Not at all. Like missing shackles

Not for a minute

NOT!!!

No. I am a free thinker. Religion does not allow for that much needed process

No but I do envy the community that seems to be present in religious life. I recently was booked to work a baby shower and there were tons of people and there was a game that required people to gather as a team and sing nursery rhymes. I asked why everyone sound so amazing and they were all members of the choir at church. I am sometimes envious yet hopeful that people can build community around secular lifestyles/values too

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:37
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.