Agnostic.com

317 11

Do you ever miss the religious life?

Admin 8 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

317 comments (101 - 125)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Once I became disillusioned I never attended church again. I have meditated at Thai Buddhist temples with my Thai friends and students but doing my own thing more than following the monk's chants. I did briefly miss the activities and friends I'd made in my singles group, but soon filled the former church time with bird photography trips, hikes, riding horses, new friends, etc. I do miss that belief that there's a strong, wise God looking out for me and all I have to do is be passive and let things happen. It's disconcerting to realize that I am responsible for my own life.

Not for a minute

I miss the routine sometimes. There were times I wanted to buy-in but just couldn't bring myself to mean it when I said it.

Not really, I never particularly liked it to begin with. It's been long enough that I don't think I even miss the people. If I need the interaction I have a crochet group I go to, a gaming group that I no longer game with but still talk to often enough, and have no problem with starting or joining other activity groups for company and like mindedness if I feel I need something that regular in my life.

AmyLF Level 7 Jan 23, 2018

NOT!!!

No. I am a free thinker. Religion does not allow for that much needed process

No but I do envy the community that seems to be present in religious life. I recently was booked to work a baby shower and there were tons of people and there was a game that required people to gather as a team and sing nursery rhymes. I asked why everyone sound so amazing and they were all members of the choir at church. I am sometimes envious yet hopeful that people can build community around secular lifestyles/values too

My mother once asked me: "Don't you miss it? Even the singing"? I joined a UU congregation for a while (when newly moved to an area where I knew almost no one). I made some friends there that I'll have for life so I don't regret it, but ultimately I decided that even that was too churchy for me. I get my singing fixes elsewhere.

I miss the friendships ad the community. I miss the answers. I miss the built in sense of purpose.

I still go to Sunday School in a very progressive Episcopal church that allows our special class to meet on Sunday during the regular Sunday school time. We have progressive Christians as well as agnostics and atheists alongside lay ministers and deacons. The Teacher is an ordained minister of the Unitarian Church which is very progressive. So there are all kinds of religions and all kinds of different threads among those. I admit it is unusual, but so far, it is working and we all are enjoying it. The other members of the church smilingly call us "The Heretics", and we have socials together and enjoy each other's company. All of us work together and do many good things for the community.

PEGUS Level 5 Jan 7, 2018

I was a college educated Pastor. I found that the leadership was adversarial, hypocritical, manipulative, liars, and even predatory. They remind me of the politicians. Many of the people albeit misguided were genuinely good folk. Needless to say after the third church I lost my faith, and after many years I like some, miss the community. But make no mistake with what I write; I could not bring myself to walk through a church door! I just do my best to be a good neighbor. I just joined this site and I think I have found a new community🙂

Hell no! I can live in harmony now without needing to worry about everybody I care about not living just right and burning in Hell forever. Or having to please some god, who refuse to do anything major to prove he’s actually real.

I have very good friends in church. I still love them. I've been growing away from the need of church for a long time, so I don't miss that. But I would love to keep doing things with my close friends.

Nope!

No. I am much happier. I just don't think there is anything there.

Nope

Absolutely not. I shudder to think of all the time I spent not questioning, not delving deeper into the world of physics, biology, and anthropology. So much time wasted at a young age when my mind was so eager to learn...

if by life you mean common practice and values that makes sense. and is why some atheists now meet on sundays.

Not at all because I feel free of imaginary fear.

Not a nickels worth... even less.

Tomas Level 7 Dec 29, 2017

I joined a Unitarian Universalist Church that is primarily secular. I don’t believe in religion, but I do find it culturally interesting and enjoy the philosophical discussions we have. So I get the church community without the preaching. The freethinkers group by me has members who are vocally anti-church and get judge about my attending. Contrary to the people at my church, I find that group to be not just judgmental, but also pretentious, snobby and more “holier (atheister?) than thou” than most religious people I know. It leaves a bad taste. I do miss the trappings of Catholicism. The incense, the music, the stained glass, the candles. Even miss the communion wafer and that false sense of security I had as a kid. I have substituted the confessional with a therapist’s office and I’m okay with where I’m at now.

Do you miss root canal?

I miss the feeling of being "special" and being surrounded with like minded people often. It was also nice going out of state every year for camp meeting for free. But for the most part no.

No

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:37
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.