Agnostic.com

317 11

Do you ever miss the religious life?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

317 comments (101 - 125)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My mother once asked me: "Don't you miss it? Even the singing"? I joined a UU congregation for a while (when newly moved to an area where I knew almost no one). I made some friends there that I'll have for life so I don't regret it, but ultimately I decided that even that was too churchy for me. I get my singing fixes elsewhere.

I miss the friendships ad the community. I miss the answers. I miss the built in sense of purpose.

I miss the feeling of being "special" and being surrounded with like minded people often. It was also nice going out of state every year for camp meeting for free. But for the most part no.

Here in Edmonton (Canada) I belong to an atheist organization and the rapport I have with other members is lots of fun!

No, it's just stupid.

Never had one!! I was always spiritual and knew this was just a package I was in when I came here. I always had deja vu. My whole life has been a spiritual journey searching for the truth. We have all been lied to for a long time. Religions were created to divide us and the media likes to promote division and many more lies. The illuminati have been around for quite a while and they have messed with everything including religions, mixing them with truth and lies. I feel sorry for these people that fall for anything they are programmed for. Critical thinking is very valuable. My truth is inside of me.

Not at all

Never had one.

I don't miss religion per say but the fact that organization tends to bring about certain benefits for its members, the people unite their efforts for some common purpose many will likely benefit from the pulled resources and social companionship

haslr Level 3 Dec 15, 2017

Somewhat. Religion is a corner stone of society because it gives so much comfort and peace of mind.... even if that never reflects reality. What can be more comforting than believing that you have a space father watching out for you, that he will cart you off to a magic happy land after you die, and that all the answers to every question worth asking are in one book you can get for free, in a pocket sized edition? Just believing that someone is in charge of the chaos is a mightily comforting thought.

No. I do miss hanging out with the priests. Episcopal priests are quite philosophical and tend to be very careful in interpreting the bible. As one said to me, "That God of the Old Testament was one mean son of a bitch."

Nope...

No. The sense of community with likeminded individuals would be the only thing; however, like @TMCBird said-- It's also why I joined this group.

Nope.

The same one I tried to follow before: treat others with respect and compassion. It's really too much to figure out if I should treat them the way they want to be treated, the way I want them to treat me, or they way I think I would want to be treated if I were in their situation. Respect and compassion seem to cover the bases.

In the same way I miss having a sore throat....

Never! I enjoy being an atheist.

No I feel very bad how I waste my time with them

uzair Level 3 Nov 25, 2017

Yes I do miss the social connections and events. The holidays seem less bright. I still love the holiday lights. When, where and how does a single anti theist, find reason in the holiday spirit? Is love just another biochemical reaction destined to always fade over time? Mostly I miss having a community to be a part of. Here in the Bible belt it is not easy to find friends with common ground.

I miss having the support of a community. I wish there was a Sunday Assembly in my area. Is anyone else familiar with that organization?

Someone on this site recommends universal Unitarian..it looks interesting...

Hell NO!

I miss singing in the choir and greeting people, 8 also had a friend there that I lost contact with after I left. There are things I miss for sure, even being in the holy ghost cause it felt freeing to let it all out.. I'm much freer and happier as an atheist though.

No, just the opposite.

Gabi Level 2 Nov 24, 2017

Don't miss it. Once you free your mind going back to chains on your mind isn't an option. With the knowledge I've gained in fact based research I will never be able to relate to or participate in any dogmatic false belief system.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:37
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.