Agnostic.com

197 7

Should I attend a wedding at church as an atheist?

my daughter gets married soon and its in a church. i've made it a policy not to enter religious buildings as i don't believe and i'm not a hypocrite.
she's ok with it but her fiance's family are making life difficult. i will not go into a church.. therefore the question.
am i being a bit silly?

dragon4104 4 Nov 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

197 comments (176 - 197)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If you’re going for those types of reasons then I don’t see why not. Go for it!!! Congrats on your daughter’s wedding!

Go in there after a couple of big bong rips ......yeah! fly.........just be fly!!!!

It's your daughter's wedding. Only you will know if you're going to regret not having attended later on. If you think living with that regret, but maintaining your principles, is worth it, then don't go. If you think you'll be miserable with the regret, then go. It's one day, but an important day in your child's life. Good luck. I don't envy you having to make this decision.

Sit on the other side of the church than her fiance's family. I can't sing in church, I think that's me can't hypocrite version.

Of course you are being silly! God will strike down unbelievers who enter his house. It's happened to me many times. 😉

Splash on the holy water, kneel, sing, give praise.

Not like you have some god who will punish you for it.

Go to your daughters wedding yes they WILL try a use this oppertunity to try and convert you, but you are only there for her. If they don't or rather won't understand that, than the way they feel is of their own making.

Sure, why in the world not? Be polite and close your eyes as appropriate as well. Show them the same respect you want.

Sure! Your attendance is not a statement of belief or validation of the church. Attend as an act of love for your daugher ... been there done that! I see a church as a place of peace.

I think at weddings and funerals you are not required to believe what the church believes. You don't have to pretend to believe, but it's also not the time to put your beliefs front and center. Let your daughter have the wedding she wants, and go because you believe in love. These ceremonies always seem a little bit weird to me, and I am either amused or uncomfortable or outright creeped out , but it's important to be there for your loved ones. Not going makes it about you. and its her wedding so it isn't about you.

jmott Level 3 Dec 18, 2017

its just another building and I like churches. I would love to make a house out of one. it's not being a hypocrite as your not becoming a believer as you step into a church. lots of vicars are bloody child molesters

I find cathedrals, churches, temples and some theistic memorials very beautiful. And unless they are waterboarding suspected heretics prior to the wedding I would not feel I was being dishonest in my convictions to watch my only daughter take part in a religious ceremony.

It's one thing to have the strength of your convictions and another to bear them with an open heart and mind. You would not be ascribing validity to a faith by attending you daughter's wedding. But, by not attending, I believe you would be doing something both of you would regret for a long time.

Absolutely! Unless,of course, you're considering burning it down.

Give it up for Jesus and go support your daughter. That's way more important than a principle that puts too much value on the venue.

Why do you have to be anything, go in respect for them, you don't have to accept their religion.lighten up

We do, at times, put up with a lot to celebrate special occasions with our loved ones. However, we do it because we care about them and will often put their happiness ahead of our own. Long story longer, this is one of those times you put aside your beliefs. Your daughter will appreciate it and never forget it; guaranteed. Enjoy the wedding friend!

Yes, I am the same I do not go and Bow my head to a GOD that I do not believe exists, but that is the point when I have attended Weddings and funerals I go, but I do not be a Sheeple and just bow my head for the sake of comfortably, A church is only a building a house for those to sit, kneel or stand and do what they do, I would conciser that to be a house just like any others persons house just with an open door policy, I would go to my Christian or Mormon' friends house, so why not a church, its just a building that was actually built on the old Brettons; Paigan burial sites were located for integration, so yeah just don't let anyone make you feel bad about not preying to a non-entity and foreign religion or whatever, enjoy the moment and memories!

All the best!

Craig Level 1 Nov 23, 2017

I go to worship for entertainment and because one of my good friends is a pastor. I attend pro wrestling events even though I know that wrestling isn't real. I don't feel hypocritical.

Simple answer , go support your daughter, and her soon to be husband. Family is important, labels , and the separation they bring are irrelevant., and Ego based. Ego thrives on conflict, and misery because it’s false. If you have a good relationship with your daughter nothing should stand in the way of that.

Sure! I have been in many churches, different kinds of churches, for all kinds of reasons. It has never affected my Atheism in the least because they have no proof of their imaginary god(s). And besides, whether your are religious or not should be your decision.

It's your daughter's day. And it's her fiance's official entry into the family. I think you'll have to decide for yourself whether it's more important to remain true to your ideology or to be present for your family. Or maybe there's a creative solution that would allow you to participate in some way but not enter the church. Ultimately, the decision rests your shoulders. Good luck in your discernment.

If they were having a star trek wedding, in a themed restaurant, or the ceremony was in a Superbowl themed restaurant, you would attended, despite not being into that subculture?

I think you should go, because they have chosen to have the wedding there. I am sure you won't be the only atheist in the church.

Allan Level 5 Nov 14, 2017

Not really. You are who you are. People know who you are. The question is, how you want them to see you later on in life. A man who stands by his convictions and its all about me, or a generous man who loved his friends so much that you gave something up of yourself to show a love for your friends happiness. You can stand still and bow your head. You can also stop right there and be yourself as much as you can be without hurting them. Your silence is your mark of character. So is your love.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:3718
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.