Agnostic.com

30 3

Why do so many people today want to be unique and special?

Late modern - some prefer to call them postmodern - societies celebrate the singular, we adore what is unique and special, whereas the general and standardised is considered to be dull and unattractive.
The average human being with his or her average life is suspected of conformity, even stupidity. The new standard are not only authentic individuals with original interests and curated biographies, but also unique goods and events, communities and cities.

But the late modern society of singularities and fascinating new "identities" does not only know shining winners. It also produces its own specific competitions, inequalities, paradoxes and losers.

Thoughts?

Matias 8 July 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

30 comments (26 - 30)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was taught nearly 60 years ago by a man who I respected for his scientific knowledge, his sardonic wit and shrewd observation of humanity that every person in the world is capable of writing a book.
My book will include the historical fact that whilst riding his moped back from the pub one night he fell off, severely injuring himself. As a consequence we lost our biology teacher for 18 months and I utterly failed in my declared ambition to go to university and become a forrester.

The world over it is the individual who is recognised as having the rights - not commerce, not industry, not government, not countries, not religion, not ethnic race, not sexual orientation, not gender, not age, not domicile, not wealth, not a possessor of anything - just the individual.

Whether my ramblings fall into your requested "thoughts" or even outside of Professor Cipolla's Quadrant for Stupid I do not know or at this moment care - I have to leave the relative warmth and comfort of my home for the dark wet night and the local supermarket yet again wondering why a simple legal document awaited 4 months, promised again for today and for the umpteenth time has not materialised in my email. I wonder what this week's excuse will be?

To escape the drudgery of life perhaps? Many believe they have no control of their life and are just a cog in the machine called society. They want to be seen as like people in control of their own lives and does not follow the masses who they perceive as living empty lives following what is dictated to them by society. The poor and powerless are hardly in control of their fate or choices often.

The further bad news is that there is expected conformity in authenticities and originalities...

I think this has always been true, that people want to feel/be "special". I feel it is the key in even a person-to-person relationship!

Alan de Botton says to find true success, we must move past status anxiety. TED talk

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:371984
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.