Agnostic.com

5 0

What do you think of 'acknowledging' the Winter Solstace?

I will make no claims to being an authority of Druidish history; in fact I had to look 'some' of it up (most of it I knew). In Ireland the Druids, before the Celts arrived from central Europe, built Newgrange in Co. Meath in the years 3,300 BCE. On Dec 21 it marks the end of winter and the start of when the sun shines more each day. SOMETHING REAL- AND WORTH CELEBRATING. They had this figured out more than 5,000 years ago- but yet, in the age of so-called 'high tech knowledge', buffoonish fairy tales still exist.

Diogenes 8 Nov 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The seasons are the reason for the timing of many religious holidays, because the seasons are meaningful. I say enjoy the seasons, just without the religion.

Yep

I have forgotten the name of the dudes in the bible that were a few hundred years old- about my age. "About my age", and I know so little about the stars- should be ashamed of myself. There is Nature on full display for me, and anyone else who is inquisitive enough to take advantage of it.

Humans need things to celebrate with each other and in groups, and winter solstice to me seems like a big one for obvious reasons, mostly to do with agriculture. I say party on...

It will happen if it is acknowledged or not.

I forgot that I had written "celebrating"---- but then the question is, is the fornication of the fictional god-dude and the fictional, so-called, 'Virgin Mary' something to celebrate?

I go to celebrations of the Winter Solstice. We have one at the Unitarian Society I belong to. The Unitarian Society is kind of like a church, without the requirement of believing in god(s). They own a building, have a Sunday morning gathering, have family activities, adult education and that sort of thing. Humans have a need for celebrations. Theists have their needs and atheists have their needs.

SKH78 Level 8 Dec 26, 2017
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:3725
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.