Agnostic.com

14 1

Feminists: Is this a safe place to have a discussion about second and third wave feminism? 🙄🤔

I've been noticing some ignorant idiocy hereabouts, and before I commit to a public forum, I'd like to ask the women in this community about their experiences so far.

• 8 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 5 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 0 votes
BadBoyMakesGood 4 July 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am an old feminist; and you should be afraid of me if you have any chauvinistic tendencies

There's no problem having the discussion so long as you don't really say anything.

You would have to try hard to see any kind of aggression in my comment.

So far, I have blocked 60 sexist guys and Trumpsters who lashed out or personally attacked me for being a Democrat or feminist.

My middle finger is twitching.

Erm kitten pic?

Amisja Level 8 July 11, 2019

LOL it's the Maine Coon my daughter is fostering at the moment, it was the only thing I could think of! 😋😆

I have nieces and nephews...I am in the middle of their discussions and I can see more than one side on just about all of their issues from dating to pay equality...as an old feminist still fighting for certain issues, I have also seen the alienation of men from those who take it too far.

In order for people to get to some solutions, everybody needs to put down their spears and talk in a circle...I will immediately block those who try to ram any kind of bullshit down my throat with no opportunity to even understand what they are trying to say...screaming your anger at me is not helping and neither is your presentation of misinformation...other that, I, too am a kitten...kind, soft, cute, and cuddly...until you cross the line, then I will scratch your eyes out... 😉

Safe for whom? We never feel safe, which is part of the problem, I'm afraid.

The global issue for all women. You are never really safe

I don't feel unsafe here. I get annoyed but never feel unsafe on this site.

LOL that sounds healthy. 🙂

That just about sums me up too!

I am pretty old now and have never felt unsafe at any time in my life...and I certainly don’t feel unsafe here on this site. I realise that women still have a long way to go to get equal rights in pay etc., and that there are some men who display misogyny towards us, especially the religious, and the alt right politicians, but that doesn’t mean we are afraid to speak out or feel we can’t, in fact it makes it all the more of an imperative that we do speak out, and loudly! To anyone who thinks that they can intimidate me and those other intelligent, confident women here at Agnostics from stating our points of view, I’d like to see you try but don’t fancy your chances of success!

I hope you know how lucky and unusual your situation is if you've never felt unsafe!

@pasha-one-nine I do...I realise that and am thankful. I know I’m fortunate to be a middle class, privileged white woman, but that doesn’t make me unaware or complacent about the plight of many other women throughout the world. I am a fierce advocate of women’s rights, especially their reproductive rights and the right to make all decisions regarding their own body and lives in general.

Quick definitions:
[ohiohumanities.org]

I am a product of the 70's but consider myself 3rd Wave (now that I know the distinctions): The third-wave "sees women’s lives as intersectional, demonstrating how race, ethnicity, class, religion, gender, and nationality are all significant factors when discussing feminism. It examines issues related to women’s lives on an international basis." This is a great place to mention something my sister said to me about our upbringing as girls in the 70's, young women in the 80's, and mothers in the 90's. She said that as girls, we were told that we could be anything and do anything career-wise...but that boys and men failed to hear this information. Therefore it's been more difficult sometimes to keep reminding the guys of that generation. My kids' generation (of the 90's, 2000's) seem a lot more flexible in their thinking about gender roles, the need to marry, the need to have children, reproductive choice and many other 'feminist' topics.

Yes i’m Impressed with how progressive my son and his friends are about gender and relationships and sexuality.

I'm also very impressed with the fastest growing religious category among the under-30s: NONE.

@BadBoyMakesGood Since my son and daughter are both non-believers, I feel my work here is done...ha ha. Raised them as heathens with little ill effect. (As far as a mom can tell, anyway!)

I'm a woman and don't like the expression "female "

zesty Level 7 July 11, 2019

I know many women who don't like the term female. Would you share why? I don't care either way. Just curious.

@GreatNani Too dry, too official, almost inhuman, similar to something a burocratic g- man will say. Or a policeman.

@zesty female is the appropriate term for the biological binary. “Woman” describes an person’s gender identification.

@zesty ah! Ok. Makes sense!

@A2Jennifer In my view there is no biological binary. There are more than two genders.

@zesty gender and sex are different things. Sex refers to the physical - chromosomes and reproductive organs - which usually but not always are consistent. Gender refers to the construct of how we view what a man or woman should be, and how our individual identities align (or don’t align) with those constructs.

There are definitely misogynists on this site. They are smugly set in their ways so I just block them. There is no benefit to talking to them as far as I can tell, & reading their crap just wastes my time. They neither enlighten nor entertain.

Carin Level 8 July 11, 2019

More than once I have faced hostility toward women or toward feminism. Once I had a guy go on the attack telling me that I am an idiot and have “wasted my life” because I stated that you can’t tell whether a brain belongs to a male or female with a brain scan. Having worked with a gender focused neuroscientist, you can’t. But this individual was deeply threatened by the idea that men and women aren’t totally different species. Only person I’ve ever blocked.

There are men and women threatened by scientific and medical studies that go against their strongly held belief systems....they have staked their claim and refuse to evolve, culturally speaking, in matters of gender roles, family dynamics, and sexuality.

What are you babbling about? EQUAL TREATMENT/opportunities for Everyone is a problem for you?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:372669
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.