Agnostic.com

26 4

So do we atheists, agnostics, own the privilege to examine others negatively, own the privilege to disdain others?

Are we BETTER than others or just different? I discovered this site last week and enjoy the writing and debate very much...but the vitriol & venom- downright name calling "Psychopaths, lowly, stupid and dangerous people, delusional" are references to all others who think differently.. That I call arrogance and, I believe, is not justified. People are just different.
NGO's and faith based orgs are some of the first responders to times of crises, inhumane trtreatment, children living in poverty (starvation, illness) natural disasters....environmental restoration...when our feeble govt's are focusing on political isues, defense, space travel, NGO's show up to help those who are suffering. I don't see the Red Cross "damning me to hell or trying to convert me..."? No, they have more important concerns. Like showing care to the disabled, rescuing those in danger, healing the sick, The founders of the Salvation Army sought to bring aid to the poor, destitute, and hungry by meeting both their physical and emotional . Needs. It is present in 131 countries, running charity shops, operating shelters for the homeless and disaster relief and humanitarian aid to developing countries. Really- are these foks motivated by pushing their delusional belief systems on people or damning them to hell?
Faith-based non-governmental organizations’ (FBNGOs) also work to create interventions toward community empowerment in social development, community empowerment, community participation, community capacity building, local leadership development, or community resource mobilization in devloping counries . FBNGOs have also emerged as a significant aspect in social development in our cities w/ underserved populations, providing healthcare, legal aid, counseling services, activities for the disabled and delayed.... abuse intervention, clothing, housing.and food to everyone who needs help. They do not stop first to ask "are you saved? If not, forget it!"

So, the responders here who claim that I am ATTACKING atheists?! Not at all, or I would examine my OWN behavior, as an atheist. No, I just want to slash through the ugly divide we seem to create when we identify the "sociopathic, bible thumping zealots" as being ALL the people who TRY to follow the teachings of a god who they understand as merciful and loving.

theatreskill 5 July 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

26 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Bravo!

Since you asked, here goes...

In my experience of almost 70 years I 've found agnostics and atheists much more intelligent than Christians

We are More tolerant, kinder, less judgemental, more fun to hang out with, generous, great love of children and animals. They (us) make great neighbors, less likely to gossip, spread vicious rumors about others, enjoyable to work with, more polite, just more stable, less fearful, respectful of privacy and personal space and all around good characters.

We tend to not bring drama into our lives and the lives of others. We tend to not be jealous and resentful of others. Or put others down to make ourselves look or feel better.

We have a tendency to not mind the business of others. Have a live and let live attitude. And when we are generous it's because we want to help, do not expect to be rewarded in the "hereafter" we just give without conditions and acknowledgements either.

I avoid strict over-zealous, judgement Christians like the plague!!! Each time I've allowed those folks into my life I ALWAYS LIVE TO REGRET IT.

I think the world would be a better and more peaceful planet if most people were atheists/agnostics!!!

Overall my experience with most Christians has been a dismal failure.

When we reach a certain age; our patience lessens, so does our tolerance and our BULL SHIT detectors are on overdrive.

Yes I agree with you in general. For although I have met some good Christians, on the whole I have found that they are usually arrogant and unkind. Perhaps in part it is because humans tend to have only so much good will, and if they use that up on the rest of the congregation, and on showing off with extreme demonstrations of goodwill to that congregation, as they are expected to, then there is very little left for anyone else they may meet.

I have encountered many examples of this, but just for an example and fun.

One day in Greece, after a long walk, I sat down by a country road to eat my lunch and drink some much needed water. I did not know that the village had a festival of some sort that day, and as I sat there a long stream of people came down the road. All of them said hello and smiled as they passed me, despite the fact that I was obviously a foreigner. It actually became quite hard to eat and reply to so many at the same time. Only two people walked past and offered no greeting, and they were of course, the priest and his attendant. So just to be snotty, I said good day to them. They turned away without a word.

I have belonged to and participated within various Atheist organizations … and may never (even having read American Atheist Magazine cover-to-cover for years) have read or heard as solid and accurate a description of ‘us.’ Too often - we’re too modest to describe ourselves as that wonderful… Thank you - my lifetime of experience agrees completely ~

@Varn I agree and it's all so true. 😊

I have, myself, been accused of being 'negative' towards religious faith.

"Why can't you just say what tou believe without having to always trash the beliefs of the religious?"

The problem is that atheism is DEFINED in negative terms - a theist is someone who believes in (at least one) god, and an atheist is someone who is not a theist, so the only way to really discuss atheism is to say 'here is theism, and this is why I assess it to be bollocks'.

But the bottom line is that many theists are QUITE happy to wallow in hatred, bigotry, sexual judgementalism and intollerance - and have been doing so for hundreds and thousands of years - so if a theist is relaxed enough to keep HIS/HER mouth shut and not 'push' their beliefs and judgements on others, then I'm very happy to leave them in peace. However, if a theist chooses to 'open the debate and arguement' then he/she has no right to expect me not to respond.

I will respond as civilly as I can - but RESPOND I WILL.

a "civil response" hmm? Antonyms for civil

foreign
ill-mannered
impolite
rude
unkind

@irascible the original post, with its unfounded accusations (and i am ANYTHING but thin-skinned) was spoiling for a fight. some of her replies have been downright snarky. that's odd for someone who claims to be petitioning for us to be nice to each other.

g

As you will find on this site, there are some people that are mad at god and others that just don't believe it exists. You'll also find that if some disagree with you some will call you names because they don't have any better argument. I'm pretty sure everyone has the same right to look at anything negative they want. Should they do it in a civil manner, of course.

lerlo Level 8 July 14, 2019

@irascible I agree, I will follow that ahole to the end of the Earth

@irascible Well, I'm afraid that you may just be a bit intolerant, angry and spiteful? OK. Each to his/her own.

@theatreskill awful judge mental of you.

@theatreskill It's becoming very clear you're just like the people you're criticising.

@irascible I expressed myself very badly. I meant she was accusing people of behaving in a manner that she is displaying. Despite your nic, I've always found you a reasonable person and often funny too. I think she should climb down off her high horse and join the rest of us mortal folk..

@irascible High horse? OK.. let's say a stallion! Hows that,? because I dare talk about what I,THINK...I,I,I think,are unnecessary ugly and nasty comments. That's all.

@irascible You're right, there. Spiteful means: full of spite or malice; showing spite; malicious; malevolent; venomous:
Malicious is a bit strong.

Do you think that that description applies to you at all? Can you be the judge, please. Sorry.

It has nothing to do with proselytizing. Here's why I don't support and actively boycott the Red Cross: [npr.org] and [propublica.org]

And here's why I don't support and actively boycott The Salvation Army: [huffpost.com] and [lgbtqnation.com]

So, yes, being that they are using religion as reasons to do the things that they do against humanity, I will judge them exactly as I, in my well-reasoned, moral, and logical experience-based wisdom, see fit, and I won't lose a wink of sleep over it, as I feel, since I've never done such horrible things to others, that I am morally superior to those that have, as apparently my moral compass and conscience works as it is supposed to, and their's doesn't.

Years ago, we in the LGBTQ community began boycotting the Salvation Army by putting fake dollar bills in the kettle which read, "the head of your organization has had some horrific homophobic slurs about us so that why we are giving your fake Christian organization fake money "

I don't dislike religious people - I dislike religion. It's meant to manipulate people - usually to it's own ends and for profit.

Many of the organizations you cite are working hand in hand with the Government a flagrant violation of the separation of Church and State.

The Red Cross: "How much does the Red Cross keep from donations?
In recent years, the Red Cross' fundraising expenses alone have been as high as 26 cents of every donated dollar, nearly three times the nine cents in overhead claimed by McGovern. In the past five years, fundraising expenses have averaged 17 cents per donated dollar.Dec 4, 2014*
See links here: [google.com]

No I don't think all the people are bad. But I don't think those organizations are good either.

Some are - and the people participating have the best intent.

I'd be a lot happier with religious folk if they didn't keep trying to foist their beliefs on me. I don't try to foist mine on them. (Unless they ask).

Hear! Hear well said!

@theatreskill It could be as simple as to say that you are in the wrong place, at least for now. You have to keep working on your own account to climb to a higher level. That will help you accomolish two things (not limited to): a) You will develop a thick skin, very much need now that everyone in general have an opinion and no one is shy about it anymore, and b) You will differenciate the postings where people want to contribute and have a conversation, as opposed to some troll trashing whatever and we all get a bap rap for it. Keep up the good work. Cheers.

We keep the worst of religious extremes in check some(not enough) religious organizations do real good work helping the poor and sick actual praiseworthy work . I am helping one in october delivering healthcare to poor in Haiti . No religion involved .

bobwjr Level 10 July 14, 2019

Pffft. What a load of drivel.

Boy, this post spooked people out of the bushes who claim to know ALL christians...or ALL atheists enough so that they can generalize. One is more unkind, arrogant and 'stupid'. The other is more intelligent, analytical, logical. These comments not only surpise me, but disappoint to an extent, too. What foolishness! Whether I agree or not with these responses, I expect them at least to be plausible. I believe here, at least, I am not in the best of company.

Very little that can be said on this question of religious morality will be absolutely true. There are too many shades of gray. Certainly we agnostics and/or atheists can be angry and certainly can make overly broad, judgmental statements. BUT, your posted defense of organized religiously based charity works is full of holes.

Speaking purely of Christian-based charities, which represent the religious backround I was raised in, certainly individuals will want to help others out of a simple desire to be kind, out of simple humanity. But that is NOT, I repeat NOT the main motivating force for Christian charity work. You completely ignored that fact. Charities, whether the Red Cross, Salvation Army, Christian adoption agencies, Christian hospitals, Christian battered women shelters, or what have you, are first and foremost serving their religion's capital directive to proslytize and convert people to Christianity. Anything they can do to give that mission social or political leverage is to that end. That is not altruism. That is not selfless love of fellow human beings. That is tactical. That is a reflection of Christian teaching that converting others to Christianity will be rewarded by God.

When you white-wash this fact, you ignore the insidious danger of this religion. Where was that charity in the dark ages when the church wielded ultimate political power and literally executed people for heresy? Non-existant is where. It's only because the church now lacks that power and has to answer to secular push-back that they have adopted a "kinder, gentler" approach of public service.

Do Christian adoption agencies serve the greater need of children? I argue not. I personally know good people repeatedly denied the "privilege" to adopt a child in need only because the would-be parents are not Christian. The mere existance of so many Church based adoption centers has lulled the general public into a false sense that the adoption need is being met. It is not. Controlled, yes; met, no.

Similarly, the Salvation Army, which receives privileged regard from many local court systems, puts great pressure on addicts directed to their "treatment" programs, pressure to accept religious practices of prayers and services participation that the participants, many of them coerced by courts into being there, to accept the Christian proslytizing being shoved down their throats.

Many LGBTQ people who find themselves dealing with various Christian organizations face subtle and/or blatant discrimination, tolerated or ignored by governments because of the culturally privileged historical reputations these church based organizations enjoy.

There is ample reason to rail against the Christian status quo for any of us millions who have found ouselves on the receiving end of discrimination fueled by Christian values of "sin."

Where I can agree with you is in the value of freethinkers making a strong effort to articulate our criticisms of faith-based organizations as being separate from our regard for the possible motivations and hearts of individuals who identify as religious. Clearly, not all religious individuals who seek to help others through organizex charity work understand the underlying schemes and control tactics at work.

Mike, apparently, you've never worked at the Neighborhood Service Organization, Matrix Human Services, Covenant Community Care, here in Detroit, Trinity House Theatre and many other FBNGO's. How do you know this-? These folks are very intensely task oriented, their purpose so vital, that preaching is just not going on. Obviously you have been egregiously maligned, and you are angry. Rightly so...but still, get your facts straight. I agree that "to save a soul" may have been the ultimate motivation in some fundamentalist churches...but please, get in touch with what is going on elsewhere.

@theatreskill Am I familiar with every individual Christian-based charity organization? Obviously not. But it is you who don't have your facts straight to think only churches tagged as fundamentalist use their charities to advocate for public policies favorable to their doctrinal moral codes. The Catholic church, for one, only the biggest church on the planet, will happily deny women access to the full array of reproductive services that are women's legal right, this regardless of whether non-Catholic health services are available in a given area or not.
As a hospital social worker years ago, I have personally worked as a hospital liaison for patient discharge planning with nuns who ran local chapters of Catholic charities. I respected them. I have no doubt they were motivated in part by their own generally caring outlook. That does not absolve their governing institutions of responsibility for the political games they play. They know full well that the more extensive that communities depend on them for services, the more influence they have to shape legal policy to reflect Catholic religious doctrinal rules.

High five Mike!

I agree with you. We are all just different, different beliefs based on different circumstances called life. We should never belittle someone just because he/she believes differently than you...to include politics. Name calling, crap throwing, etc, these things are done on the playground in third grade.

As to atheism and intelligence, I know a lot of educated, intelligent, believers in a god of some kind. Professors, world travelers, writers of books, doers of good deeds... look at Father Desmond Tutu and Mother Theresa.

Tutu led Reconciliation and Truth COMMISSIONs....the scourge of Calcutta sponge bathed patients to death that could be cured with penicillin or a proper diet.....the truth is religion leads to incompetence or death without a very healthy dose of secular diversity scripted for justice....that evil Teresa was no mother she flew first class around the world guilt tripping other rich people into donating money or daughters to her slum death camps

Ummm, no, those things would be My prerogatives, thankyuvurry much.

As much as they do us..

Varn Level 8 July 14, 2019

The Red Cross is a bad example. There is a great deal of profitability going on there for a non profit.

Your questions you pose are too general to truly answer.
The answers are both yes and no.
There are good and evils of all organizations.

If you’ve ever fallen victim to something then yes you have the ‘privilege.’
Even if you haven’t you still have the privilege.
We are after all just people and we are all different and we all have whatever rights we each feel entitled to.

If you were a little boy raped by clergy then you certainly have the privilege.

You examples are one side of a coin that has two faces.

To quote my best friend, “even cellophane has two,sides”.

@Namaste that’s right!
Great quote!
I’ll be stealing this

I have always found it perfectly easy to disdain an idea without disdaining those who hold it. ( Perhaps you have to be on the autistic spectrum to manage that, I don't know if none autistic people find it difficult. ) Indeed have always regarded those who are caught by religion as victims worthy of sympathy if anything.

But I think you do a little wrong however to present all active charity as religious by nature, though that may not be your intention, it may be that it is true of the US, but here in Europe there are certainly many very active charities which are completely secular, and they are often among the most effective and active. Indeed several Christian charities have over the years been involved in scandals in which they have been found to be so ineffective, that their charitable status and its tax benefits ( Not automatic in the UK. ) have been taken away.

[advocate.com]
The Salvation Army and the LGBT Community: A Complicated Relationship

I remember Christopher Hitchens' comments regarding Mother Theresa which reminded me of the treatment I received in a catholic hospital as a non-Catholic. BTW this hospital was state-funded and treatment for all patients should have been the same regardless of their creed … alas it wasn't.

I certainly wouldn't deny some great work performed by faith-based organisations ... and I try not to think of the inquistions as the most defining actions of the catholic church ...

No not better and IMO not all that different either. "People are people" no matter what they do or do not believe in.

So do we ... own the privilege to disdain others? What exactly to you mean?

Disdain: verb
to look upon or treat with contempt; despise; scorn.
to think unworthy of notice, response, etc.; consider beneath oneself: to disdain replying to an insult.
noun
a feeling of contempt for anything regarded as unworthy; haughty contempt; scorn.

Privilege: a right, immunity, or benefit enjoyed only by a person beyond the advantages of most:

So, I'm saying, some hate mongers on here feel they have the authorized right to scorn or despise people who think differently then they do.

@theatreskill Thank for the definition! I was more the ownership of the privilege that intrigued me.

@PontifexMarximus Oh, I see. I guess I meant it like when people say- "Own you opinions" "own your problems"...as in --take them to heart. Be responsible for them...

@theatreskill we are getting closer … it is really the expression of privilege in this context that intrigues me. Normally a privilege is granted … I am not try to be facetious. I am just trying to understand. Perhaps I am just plain stupid.

@PontifexMarximus OF COURSE NOT, "STUPID"?. My goodness. I think it's important to ask questions and clarify!

@theatreskill I’m not sure it’s a right...it’s more an ability. We have reached a point where our own beliefs are tantamount and we can let them know exactly how we feel without remorse as to how the other person may feel. We no longer care about our ripples and we sure don’t care about others. It’s a sad mental level to see happening around me.

I cannot be like this. I am empathetic to others having been on the other side but holding no grudges about it.

Not better, different.

well, we wouldn't be judgmental if it were not for posts like this, and the believers i have encountered, whom i have never ONCE attacked or lashed out at, don't want to be my friend; they want to convert me, or damn me to hell, or (worst of all) bless me and pray for me. you're being awfully judgmental of atheists et al, without knowing us very well, as friends, aren't you? you are lashing out at us, are you not, making this accusation? your accusation is a blanket one, just the kind of thing you are supposedly warning us against. maybe we are not the ones who need to grow up.

g

@irascible extremely cool!

i read and heard a good definition of respect in the fixer, the book and the movie respectively (pun intended). "it's what you have to give to get!"

g

So, all believers wants to convert you or damn you to hell. Frankly, I do not believe you.

@theatreskill i said no such thing. i said the ones i have encountered. i didn't say all. YOU are the one who generalizes, not me. i spoke only about my own experience, and i can assure you i am telling you the truth. if you choose to disbelieve me, that is not not my problem at all.

g

@irascible How enlightening of you.

@theatreskill how snarky of you. you know, you talk about how rude atheists are to others and you're the rudest one here. i think i am through with you. yeah, i am. BYE. note: anyone else who wants to reply to me or tag me here, i won't see it because i will be blocking this rude person and that means the whole post will be invisible to me. so if i don't answer i am not ignoring you.

g

@theatreskill what motive does anyone here have to lie to you? That's rude!

@theatreskill, @genessa well said G

The alleged gawd does nothing no mercy no love just nothing.....some of my best friends are Quakers Catholic Workers who know other xians are terrorizing health clinics stalking women who want abortions passing laws forcing gynecologists into incompetence protecting the genocidal zionists murdering Palestinians murdering muslims for their oil......religion is a big umbrella and let's very little truth underneath....religions sexually mutilate baby boys and young girls......Vatican rapist priests are mostly protected by coverups bribes to victims for silence AND ABORTIONS to kill the evidence
.....religion in USA has been racist and genocidal since 1492.....Salvation Army has reduced their shaming of gays in exchange for taxpayer funding of their expanding programs and tax exempt properties....worst is the complete takeover ove Education by Michigan monster Betsy deVos with Erikkk Prince....we should as you state be nice to our do gooding religious neighbors but here in Atheist land we should continue to blow off steam and read aloud all the genocidal misogynistic pro-violent abortion passages from their bibles because only Atheists read their books they merely fondle a few fetish pages

If people believe in a god, don't you expect that there should be evidence that a god exists?

I have come across a few not so desirable comments, but I think that most contributors here try to be fair and reasonable.

Boy, this post spooked people out of the bushes who claim to know ALL christians...or ALL atheists enough so that they can generalize. One is more unkind, arrogant and 'stupid'. The other is more intelligent, analytical, logical. These comments not only surpise me, but disappoint to an extent, too. What foolishness! Whether I agree or not with these responses, I expect them at least to be plausible. I believe here, at least, I am not in the best of company.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:373668
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.