Agnostic.com

17 7

My joke fell flat. How do you recover?

Why else would I mention body odor and farts?

Bill, MD, rode the 206-mile Seattle to Portland bicycle race with 9,000 riders last weekend. Most roads on the route were open to cars in one lane.

"Breathing car exhaust, body odor and farts from people riding in front of me is not my idea of a good time," I wrote before the race. It was a joke.

[cascade.org]

"It was a wonderful ride," he replied today after the race. "I was beautifully prepared. Judging by other riders' speed and appearance of effort level, I'd put myself in the top 15% or so fitness of participants."

"Nice weather, nice people and a great experience."

"I'd have checked in sooner but frankly, I was put off by your negative comment about cycling in your last email."

"It was a joke," I replied. "Congratulations! You train harder than anyone I know."

Sheesh.

EVENING UPDATE

Bill texted me:

"I overreacted to the joke. That's one of the disadvantages of written communication. No inflection, so I could not read your emotions. It's all good."

LiterateHiker 9 July 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Jokes can be written as observations,parodies,or light humor,we all will fail at one time or another, in verbal story telling or written text,just add it to your experiences....

Kathie and I know each others thoughts, before we have them, and yet the same happens often, days, sometimes, will go by, with thoughts of doubt, fustration, and hurt feelings bring a confrontation.....then we enjoy hugs, kisses, relieved feelings realizing the mistaken meaning of what was said.....and how nice, feeling foolish can be....cheers

Tell him to enter La Tour de France.
After that, he won't be tired after such a trifling bike journey as Seatle to Portland.
🤣
P.S. Note my cunning use of an emoji to signify 'joke'. Maybe you could do the same.
P.P.S. My fee for the above emoji advice is quite reasonable. A few snogs will suffice. 🤣🤣

Petter Level 9 July 16, 2019

Those cyclists can be pretty touchy. I think it's all the grief they get for wearing that little outfit and funny little hat.

that's what happens in environmentally fanatical states like Wash where they're trying to save the world. you have mostly EVs on the road & not enough of the good old ICEs to mask the BO & farts.
there are consequences..

@callmedubious

Washington State is a national leader in battling the climate crisis, thanks to our Governor Jay Inslee. Bravo!

We are not fanatical.

What are "EVs" and "ICEs"? I don't know what you are talking about.

@LiterateHiker,
electric vehicles & internal combustion engines.
i was kinda joking, kinda..

if only they sold humor in Amazon!

@BeerAndWine, @ToolGuy, @SeaGreenEyez, @maturin1919, @CallMeDave, @CynicalGirl, @bobwjr, @Mitch07102, @TomMcGiverin, @bigpawbullets, @PonDartIncbendog, @Bleurowz, @1of5, @scout123456

UPDATE

Bill texted me:

"I overreacted to the joke. That's one of the disadvantages of written communication. No inflection, so I could not read your emotions. It's all good."

Photo: Bill at the finish line, Seattle to Portland bicycle race. July 14, 2019.

Nice recovery

Do what you want Kathleen, date Dr. Bill, don't date him, I really don't care. Personally, I don't like rollercoasters at my age, my BP and stomach can't take them anymore, be they figurative or real. Personally, much as I like sex with an established partner, I fortunately (at least for me in my widowed celibate state) do not have as high a sex drive or level of need for it as you apparently have. Glad you seem to be meeting your needs and best fishes, as Steve Martin used to say.....

@ToolGuy

Good point. Glad you saw the humor! I thought it was funny, too.

Tell him to take the carrot out of.......or try working in Paulina's dragon story about a rough day....

No sense of humor

bobwjr Level 10 July 15, 2019

@bobwjr

Bill has a great sense of humor. He is hilarious!

It appears he was exhausted after riding 206 miles fast last weekend, in the Seattle to Portland bicycle race.

He doesn't sound like a fun guy. You even apologized, so I'd forget about it. If he doesn't forget about him.

@Mitch07102

Are you kidding? I wouldn't spent time with Bill if he wasn't fun. Love flying in his private plane.

"Where do you want to go?" Bill asks. Over the mountains where I love to hike.

"One of the happiest memories of my life is when you took me snowshoeing up in the mountains," Bill said.

@Mitch07102

Furthermore, I think Bill was exhausted after riding 206 miles fast in two days in the Seattle-to-Portland bicycle race last weekend.

On the one hand, Dr. Bill and CallMeDave have a point, there should be no double standard between the genders on sarcasm being used in the dating scene. On the other hand, the good doctor has more than enough money to buy a sense of humor, which he seems to be lacking, at least by my standards. But what do I know, since I seem to be undateable, at least in my local area... Your mileage may vary......

@TomMcGiverin

Bill has a great sense of humor. He is hilarious!

It appears my joke touched a nerve. Too close to the truth. He is concerned about breathing car exhaust.

That's why he got defensive.

@LiterateHiker I stand corrected then on Bill. My point about gender double standards for sarcasm appears to still stand then...

"

Why do so many men think sarcastic humor is positive?
On their dating profiles, many men say they have sarcastic humor. I noticed this in the Plenty of Fish forums, particularly with young guys who complained they got no replies.

Sarcasm is defined as: 1. Harsh or bitter derision or irony; 2. A sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remarks; 3. Bitterness, ridicule and jeer. (dictionary.com)

“Sarcasm is really just hostility disguised as humor,” said Clifford N. Lazarus, Ph.D.

“If you want to be happier and improve your relationships, cut out sarcasm," Lazarus said. "Despite smiling outwardly, most people who receive sarcastic comments feel put down and usually think the sarcastic person is a jerk.”

@CallMeDave

Did you copy that from one of my earlier posts?

@LiterateHiker yeah I copied and pasted

@LiterateHiker Not meaning to play Gotcha. Im not sure the offending comment even is sarcasm really. Just sort of reminded me of this earlier post a little.
No offense intended.

@CallMeDave

Thank you. I was kidding. Bill took it personally, as @ToolGuy said.

He was put off by a joke about cycling?
How about a joke about him?
BTW, a two hundred HP motorcycle engine might help in your bike.

This is why we need a universally recognised gently-taking-the-piss font.

I thought you were done with Dr. Bill.
🙄

@bigpawbullets

After having sex once with Mike- the battering ram who hurt me- I realized Bill is an extraordinary, rare and gentle lover. Bill wants me back. He wrote:

"You are singularly the most sexually exciting woman that I have met. Our bond is really amazing."

"No question about it, You and I are immensely compatible in this area."

@LiterateHiker
You're posts/adventures are way better than any soap opera. The drama! The excitement! "TALES OF THE LITERATE HIKER"!!
BTW. Is this the third time you two have reconciled?

@bigpawbullets

I dumped Bill three times. So far, he missed me and wants me back.

The sex is great, he's a lot of fun, and I love flying in his plane.

@LiterateHiker
For a semi casual relationship.... that sounds pretty perfect!

Some jokes get lost in translation, especially through writing. The nuance of your voice isn't there, that can make all the difference. What makes a joke funny or not is often the way it's spoken.

If he doesn't get your sense of humor there is no recovery.

1of5 Level 8 July 15, 2019
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:374327
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.