Agnostic.com

5 7

Date Bars - Cooking Light

Filling

1-1/2 cups chopped dates (14 large dates, preferably Medjool). I use scissors to cut up dates.
3/4 cup water
1-1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract

Crust and topping

1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup whole wheat flour (I use whole wheat pastry flour)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
Pinch of salt

5 tablespoons chilled light butter (I use regular unsalted butter)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8-inch square pan with nonstick cooking spray.

2. To make the filling, combine dates and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover. Simmer until the water is absorbed (about 20 minutes.)

Remove from heat. Mash dates until smooth. Stir in vanilla and almond extracts. To prevent a soggy crust, cool the date mixture to room temperature.

1. To make the crust and topping: combine dry ingredients in a food processor. Pulse until mixed. Shred butter with a cheese grater and add to oat mixture. Pulse until crumbly.

2. To assemble, put half of the crust mixture in prepared pan and press with fingertips into a thin, smooth layer. Spoon date filling on top. Gently smooth evenly with the tip of a rubber spatula. Add remaining oat mixture and gently press on top of date mixture.

3. Bake 22-25 minutes or until browned lightly around the edges. Let cool completely. Cut into squares and serve.

Per serving: 150 calories; 2.9 grams fat; 6 mg cholesterol.

LiterateHiker 9 July 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Date bars. Snigger.

Looks really good. Probably good for a treat on a hike.

That looks like it will be fun to make. Thanks for sharing!

djs64 Level 7 July 18, 2019

Sounds good!

19dacar52

Everyone loves them.

My daughter asks me to make date bars when she visits.

Damn you I just gained five pounds.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:376025
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.