Agnostic.com

13 5

Why does Dennett not get the same recognition as Harris, Hitchens, or Dawkins?

Rarely a day goes by on these boards where one of the 3 horsemen get's some mention. Yet the 4th horsemen is rarely mentioned.

I find his presentation style more appealing and the breadth of the questions he tackles more broad. Of the four horsemen, his are the views I respect the most yet hear the least.

Why is that? Is it simply he is not as good a promoter as the other 3? Are his views weaker, less quotable, what?

TheMiddleWay 8 Mar 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Dennett is a pretty dense read, probably more work than most people are in for.

Views, promoters, and personality all make a difference. I still like Dennett's idea that for salvation you can just "sacrifice a goat" for him. I like that and use it often, even for door to door preachers. The last time I said it for the 2 men at my door, one of them answers back "oh, that doesn't work anymore."
Believers just don't get it.

Honestly, I think it's because hes a philosopher. Most people interested want entertainers and hard evidence. Dennett mostly speaks from opinion with informational tid bits. He doesn't sell it like the others. He's loftier

Lots of good comments so far. I love Dennett, but there are not many short quips/quotes of his that distill his ideas. Most of his ideas are in the form of excellent but long syllogistic arguments. That being said, there is a documentary I always show my classes in which he is interviewed (he is criticizing the "Argument from Design" ), he says something to the effect of, "You think evolution can explain a Mockingbird, but not 'An Ode to a Mockingbird'?! What hubris! You don't realize how wonderful a Mockingbird is! If evolution can explain a mockingbird, it can explain a poem about one."

I think it's all a matter of opinion, like everything else. Personally, I like Matt Dillahunty and Aaron Ra although they aren't quite the big time like your guys, and I also like Neil DeGrasee Tyson. I think they all have their good points and it also depends on their education, some are more philosophical, some are scientists, etc.

I also think it may be because Dennett does not have the argumentative personality or "in your face" stage presence of the others. The others are more showmen in my humble opinion.

I'm happy you mentioned him. I'm still becoming familiar with the people I should be reading and listening to. Thanks

My first impression of him was that of a wise grandfather. But I think you may have hit the nail on the head when you say less quotable. A pastime of mine is to download and collect the most persuasive & compelling arguments & soundbites for atheism. I have found an abundance from the other 3, especially Hitchens, and from many others as well. But despite trying, I have very little of Dennett.

Some others to listen to are Matt Dillahunty, Aron Ra, Richard Carrier, Dan Barker

Dennett is wonderful in his observations, and his conclusions are usually flawless. I think the main reason he is not up there with the likes of Harris is that his delivery and stage presence are not up to the task. I can listen to him for hours, but that is because I am interested in what he has to say. But Dennett is not a dynamic speaker and his delivery is rarely salesman smooth. His voice is definitely not an Andrews.

I like Dennett, and Harris, Hitchens is dead, and Dawkings is a dawk who ought to stick to bio-science where he excels.

cava Level 7 Mar 15, 2018

I enjoy watching Dan Dennett's YouTube videos and his Ted talks.

He's not a great debater. He's better as second chair acting as a science authority.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:37605
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.