Agnostic.com

43 4

What's the best book you've read lately?

Just looking for suggestions. I'm particularly fond of fantasy/sci-fi novels but other genres are welcome!

Mea 7 Mar 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

43 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Open A by Kimberly Richardson. If you like gothic, with suspense, you will love her work. **

I like Terry Goodkind and Terry Brooks for fantasy

Terry Brooks is very good. Have you watched the Shannara Chronicles on Netflix? I watched the first season, but haven't seen the second yet. I liked what I've seen so far.

I don't think the 2nd season is nearly as good, but maybe you will think differently. It was a new network. Hopefully they are able to find a studio that will do it justice... Netflix would be great... otherwise it may die.

Although I read it a long time ago, I like The Fifth Head of Cerberus by Gene Wolfe. It's really three novellas, and each has its own style, but they're all related and weave an intricate story.

I don't know why I think of this one a lot lately, but I really enjoyed The Gods Themselves by Isaac Asimov. For whatever reason, that one left a mark on me.

Thanks man, my history is sorely lacking in Asimov. I'll check it out!

My favorite Indie fantasy sci-fi, is Misha Burnette's Catskinner series. I have re-read the series many times, but I keep reading it again, because it's so much better than most other books, especially when I want to be totally obsorbed in the story to distract from travel, having to wait in an office, etc.

It's about an ordinary guy who has an off world energy being bound to him that can make him supernaturally strong and fast, and it loves to kill. He makes a living by doing hit jobs for money, working for a boss who somehow doesn't seem quite "alive." Then he falls in love..but is that beautiful woman really fully human? The protagonist gradually becomes aware that the world isn't as it appears.

Here's a link to the first book of the series:
Catskinner's Book (The Book Of Lost Doors 1) [amazon.com]

I haven't read much fiction lately but Death by Black Hole by Neil Degrasse Tyson was pretty good.

I Would Reccomed The Thomas Covermanter Books.

Coldo Level 8 Mar 15, 2018

Anything by Anne Rice

Also Christopher Rice (her son).

The Blade itself- Joe Abercrombie. Free the Darkness- Kel Kade. The Name of the Wind- Patrick Rothfuss. Elantris- Brandon Sanderson. The Magic of Recluse- L.E. Modesitt Jr.

Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate.

'LIFE' by Keith Richards

Brilliant book. My hero.

I'm trying to get a pill so I can concentrate on books again. Next week is my med Dr's appt. I'm rereading (slowly), "Why There Is No God."

@snifflz Cool.

"The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfus. Does re-reading lately count?

I don't read books, I read Authors. Pat Conroy, John Irving, Larry Mc Murtry. Beach Music by Conroy, A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving, and Dairy Queen by Larry McMurtry. Dairy Queen is about McMurty becoming a writer, and his growing up in Texas. Its a short read by he can hold your attention and you will learn much about how to spot a good writer, because he goes thru a host of them.

Put Gabriel García Márquez on your list. I have loved everything he ever wrote except a few of his early short stories. Don't start with his best, ease into him with Of Love and Other Deamons or Love in the Time of Cholera.

Carl panzram a journal of murder by henry lesser

Seveneves by Neal Stephenson is pretty good.

The Gods Themselves by Isaac Asimov
Captains Courageous by Rudyard Kipling
The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane

When breat becomes aIr
paul kalanIthI

*Breath

I realy ejoyed Song Of Kali by Dan Simmons...he also does the Hyperion books that I have to get back into...

I've been enjoying the new Red Rising book. The expanse is probably my favorite this year though.

I am currently reading "The Master and Marguerita" It is a marvellous book, I recommenend it to all who enjoy literary masterpieces. "The Book Thief" is a favourite of mine.

"A Billion Wicked Thoughts"... I'm 3/4 through it and loving it! A scientific take on sex... what's not to like?!

Jurassic Park and Harry Potter are always the best books I've read lately ?

Remi Level 7 Mar 16, 2018

The best lately would be "The Subtle Art of Not Giving A Fuck." It was exactly what I needed at the time I read it.

You're Making Me Hate You by Corey Taylor is by far the greatest book I've read in a while its super true while funny because its written by a famous Hard Rock singer who basically written down everything he hates about dumb stupid people and wastes of humanity that make up most of the earth in this book its smart snarky and funny which makes you laugh but then look back and shake your head going like "oh yeah thats... yeah thats pretty damn sad. where has humanity gone to?" I definetly reccomend.

Reading really wears me out. I think the last novella I read was 1984. The most recent thing was a book about woodworking XD

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:37692
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.